Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 17th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
thinking about crashing

since my first crash i basically can't stop thinking about crashes... while i ride it's basically all i think about. when i'm not riding i think about the chances when i could have gotten in a crash, or the spots where i missed something or didn't see something as soon as i should have... when i sit at home, i watch crashes. when i sleep i have nightmares of crashing... often i wake up after sliding across the pavement into a wall or something... am i crazy or are other people as obsessed with crashing as i am?

Old September 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #2
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

When I had my first (and only) car crash (totalled the car), a friend drove me home and I didn't want to drive again (I used the exuse "It's ok, I don't really feel like driving, you go ahead"). Fortunetly my mom threw the keys at me and pretty much forced me to get behind the wheel. Took less than a week before I was out driving again.

When I lowsided my bike 2 years ago, I was a looooooong way from home. After I picked my bike up and waited for the engine to de-flood, I had no choice but to ride home ('bout 3 hours). So by time I got home, I was all fine.

Why do you sit at home watching crashes? Wouldn't that make the problem worse? Here's the thing, you have to remember that "crashes" and accidents come in all forms.

People have:
- tripped and fallen down stairs
- walked across a street and get hit by a car
- walked across the street and get hit by a bus
- been in a car and get hit by a semi
- been in a car driving underneath a bridge and get crushed by a falling piece of concrete (happened last year in a city 2 hours from me)

Yes, riding a bike is more risky than driving a car and driving a car is (generally) more risky than walking. But accidents happen.

I know this might sound totally cliche and not help much, but do what you can to take your mind off of it.

Or maybe take your bike to a parking lot, do some low speed manuvers and work your way maybe? Dunno, just throwing stuff out.

Old September 17th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i ride every day, don't have a working car right now. haven't crashed in a year or so?... im just paranoid (rightfully so) about crashing. watching videos is like doing research

Old September 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Eh, I've never been one to dwell on things and spend time thinking about all the bad that could come from something instead of the good that I am getting out of it. Actively thinking about crashing is like staring at a pole thinking "I hope I don't hit that pole, I hope I don't hit that pole, I hope I don't hit that-----." I crashed, learned what I did wrong, read some riding skills books, and just focused on practicing techniques that would help me improve. I was skittish for a few weeks afterwards, but then I got over it

I know this suggestion tends to receive a lot of violent opposition and seething hatred on here these days, but seriously, have you considered just trying out a track day? When you take away road hazards, traffic, and blind turns, you get to focus on the fun of JUST riding. You don't have to be going super fast, you don't have to be the best, you don't even have to be riding on your limits, but you will have the freedom to just ride for once without having to think of all the bad, unpredictable things that could happen. You don't have the time or need to think about "what if" because everything is laid out before you in plain sight. Even if you decide it's not for you and never go back, the skills you obtain will carry over to the street, giving you at least some added confidence. And maybe getting to be completely in tune with your bike might help work out some of those demons. If nothing else, it's definitely therapeutic.

Or you could just suck it up and quit being such a negative nancy
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #5
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
, so eloquently, I might add!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #6
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I almost quit riding when I had my first off the bike experience. I was really blessed that nothing serious happened to me that day(Gear saved my ass). I was thinking that WOW if it took me 3 more secs or if I did this I would end up as a rock wall decoration. I'm planning to go to a track school day next year, to improve my skills/knowledge and to have fun on a save environment. And I'm avoiding having way much fun or going beyond my skills on the road. Anyway it took me 2 -3 months just to get the feel of the bike again. Ride safe out there
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I've been fortunate to not crash yet, and honestly, I don't plan to. I won't feel like I'm missing a part of the motorcycle experience if I never crash.

I also look at crash videos, in an effort to better understand before hand what I may do if that particular situation arises. Another thing I do is always remember to ride the motorcycle. I've had a few I won't say close calls, but certainly closer than I would have liked, and I just go into a pre-programmed survival mode: "Keep riding the bike; look where you want to go." That just loops in my brain until I'm through the situation.

Last futzed with by Xoulrath; September 18th, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to General

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #9
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I've been fortunate to not crash yet, and honestly, I don't plan to. I won't feel like I'm missing a part of the motorcycle experience if I never crash.
sorry but not many ppl make plans to crash on purpose, unless you ride like a squid. crashing sometimes is beyond the riders control, ex: someone runs into you, unseen road hazard, tires blow out, etc. crashing is a risk we all take when we ride our bikes or cars. the fear of crashing is not necessarily a bad thing. just imagine if everyone rode balls out all the time. like they say, "dress for the fall, and not just for the ride."
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #10
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
violent opposition
I don't know that that is quite the case.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it violent.
I wouldn't mind the 750 at the track really. Too fast to use on the street besides cruisng the highway. In that sense maybe the 600 would have been better on the street than the 750, but I can handle it. I am happy I turned down the 1000. don't need more than 750 ever. It lifts front wheel without trying and while leaning forward.

Feel like I'll be run over on the 250 at the track. I don't think I would like it. That's just me.
It's not very stable IMO but better riders have no problems with it I guess.

as to the OP,
I don't think about crashing.
I just put gear on.

Sometimes when I'm up in the twisties I start to think about it but not often.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
It's not very stable when the frame is bent but riders who have straight frames have no problems with it I guess.
fixt

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #12
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s
don't have a working car right now
I was going to suggest stop riding for 6 months and let your mind heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone
I know this suggestion tends to receive a lot of violent opposition and seething hatred on here these days, but seriously, have you considered just trying out a track day? When you take away road hazards, traffic, and blind turns, you get to focus on the fun of JUST riding. You don't have to be going super fast, you don't have to be the best, you don't even have to be riding on your limits, but you will have the freedom to just ride for once without having to think of all the bad, unpredictable things that could happen. You don't have the time or need to think about "what if" because everything is laid out before you in plain sight. Even if you decide it's not for you and never go back, the skills you obtain will carry over to the street, giving you at least some added confidence. And maybe getting to be completely in tune with your bike might help work out some of those demons. If nothing else, it's definitely therapeutic.
The track is great but I honestly feel more unsafe riding on the street now than before riding on the track. I freak out because I see so much more dangerous things of the street than I ignored before: blind curves, no runoff, is there gravel in the turn, etc. But everyone is different. If you are interested in going to a track day, let me know. I go to Chuckwalla often and it helps to know someone at the track for a first time. Another option is to take school like http://www.superbikeschool.com/
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Ever since my first injury (shattered ankle) six months into riding, I've been pretty obsessed with crashes and protective gear.

Some of my friends think I've got OCD with crashes - always looking for crash vids, talking about crashing, and saving pics of people's injuries. LOL! My family hates when I talk about crashes & death. LOL I can't help it. It's the risk we take when we throw our legs over our bikes. I take these vids, memory of crashes, saved pics and learn from it.

I like this saying: "There are two types of people who ride bikes: Those who have crashed, and those who will crash."

Another saying I like (goes something like this): Difference between smart and stupid people is the smart will learn from the stupid's mistakes.

Unfortunately, it takes but one stupid crash to cause permanent disability or end your life.

I've crashes more than 12 times and suffered numerous broken bones (thank God) and I used to fear crashing but now just accept it. Part of pushing your limits and learning from them. However, I rather choose to crash on the track having paramedics on standby and not have to deal with oncoming traffic, and/or deal with the possibility of hindering pedestrians and have that on my conscious.

Last futzed with by Nemesis; September 19th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
The track is great but I honestly feel more unsafe riding on the street now than before riding on the track. I freak out because I see so much more dangerous things of the street than I ignored before: blind curves, no runoff, is there gravel in the turn, etc. But everyone is different. If you are interested in going to a track day, let me know. I go to Chuckwalla often and it helps to know someone at the track for a first time. Another option is to take school like http://www.superbikeschool.com/
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

After my crash, I had dreams about it too. For me, my crash was more of a wake-up call, because I could have totally avoided it. Luckily, I wasn't injured and I was able to get my bike up and running. I rode home with both my turn signals damaged. I think if I would have waited to ride, I would have procrastinated and it would have taken me a lot longer to get back on the horse, so to speak.

Old September 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM   #16
lv250
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2009 CRF230L, 1998 Honda VT1100c, 1974 Honda XL100, 07 Yamaha Wolverine 350, 06 ArticCat 250

It is ok to be reminded but...

I had several real bad crashes but I always got right back on a new bike sometimes the same as or maybe faster. I have been involved in a few high speed incidents and low speed ones. Only two were my fault, my mistake front break at low speed in a turn to park when learning. Another when I was young and dumb and racing hard in the back woods in MD and had deer come out, laid bike down at speed. Hurt but not injured. The others were DUI drivers hitting me.

I stopped when a better rider. older guy by three years, and great friend died on his CBR600 F2 back in 97 memorial weekend. I was out shopping for my new CBR600. I did not buy since I was a bit shy about riding after that. Took a break for a year or so and only road in the canyons outside Tucson away from traffic and started slowing down more in turns and even pulling over to let faster riders go by. Was talked into riding again at that time a BMW650GS. Bottom line I had lost my nerve and was scared to be around others.

I started riding again on a constant basis in 2009. My Wife talked me into it since she knows I love it. I am a bit older now and a little wiser and smarter. I do not have the nerve to drag knee anymore but I love the ride and am able to ride again in traffic. I go every weekend and I enjoy the long haul road trips on back country roads visiting many new places.

I still am reminded of what can happen but I think smarter understand the risks and limit them. I still go fast, cannot help it. It is in my blood and I love the speed regardless of what I am in. But I do not go hard core in coils anymore.

However, if you like riding or love riding enjoy the ride. Keep in mind the mistakes you and others make and learn from it. But never give in to the fear of stopping. You will lose a lot more enjoyment then it is worth.

Be safe, Stop thinking of the crash and keep eyes scanning and most import have fun.
lv250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:45 AM   #17
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Get a dirt bike, crash on every single ride and learn how to contorl you bike to avoid crashes.. apply similar skills to your road riding.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote