ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #1
baz666
ninjette.org member

Name: Baz

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250 Ninja

Lists are good IF you follow them... or beware cranial vapor lock

So I found a fellow Ninjetter who kindly mailed me a slide/diaphragm for my 2000 EX250 F14. I put it in and fit perfectly. Taking apart the carbs, I noticed the P.O. had installed DynoJet needles with 6 positions for the circlips. Bonus! And he'd also installed an expensive K&N air filter. Double Bonus!
But it's the little things that often mess you up...

I put the carbs back on the bike after struggling and heating up the rubber airbox boots with my gf's hair drier. Finally got them on right, hooked up all the tubes and cables. And with much happy anticipation, I hit the starter and she fired right up and sounded... kinda not right.... hm...
Then...
Gas was leaking from the left hand bowl (while seated on bike). While the carbs were off the bike, I forgot to open the bowls for a cursory inspection and now one of the floats is stuck. I tried lightly tapping on the bowl with a rubber mallet then took off the top of the carb with the carbs in place to see if the needle was stuck or the diaphragm was on wonky. Nope. Looked fine.
When I had turned the carbs over to open the bowls, I was called away and came back some hours later and cranial vapor lock took hold. I forgot about the floats and put the carbs back in the bike.

The leak isn't huge, a few drops per minute but a leak is a leak. The kicker is I had a list right next to the carbs on my workbench to check off what needed to be done during carb cleaning and repair. At the bottom of the list: "Take off bowls and check floats."

Carbs coming off - again. BIG FAT...
baz666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #2
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

taking off bowls

I believe you can take off the bowls without taking off the carbs.
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #3
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

omg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tactical-facepalm_56306.jpg (32.5 KB, 3 views)