ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old August 11th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Viskoner
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Visk

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Tire hugger

I know there are a lot of threads on this already and trust me I have read them all but didn't find the answer to my questions.

I recently upgraded my tire to 160/60/17 in the rear and love it but that's not what I want to discuss. I am looking for a rear tire hugger that will fit over the new tire. Do you guys think the puig one will still fit? Or does anyone know one built for another bike that might fit?

A lot of people were suggesting Scotts hugger but I haven't been able to find his website or eBay. Granted most of the threads that suggested to go with him were over 3yrs old. Does he not make them anymore?

Does anyone know any other types besides the ones I mentioned keep in mind I need it to fit over the new tire.

As always all criticism both constructive and not are welcome and any help will be greatly appreciated
Viskoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Scotts largest hugger will not fit a 160 with the standard install. I have the 150 size hugger from him and it snug against a 150, aint no way it's fitting a 160. I am not sure if he still makes them but I had the best luck working with him via email.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I bet the CBR 250 hugger would fit, I feel like there is lots of clearance. might actually fit a 160 better than the 130? And if it doesn't then you are only out $20

Here are pics of mine

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...0&postcount=61

Just go to a Honda dealer and get them to order in a cbr250 hugger, that way you don't get taken to the cleaners for shipping and it should run you under $30

I really like the way it looks, if you do everything right, it lines up perfectly with the swing arm and looks like it was made for the bike IMO, plus did I mention it costs like $20?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Viskoner
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks guys.

I think I will try the honda one since it is cheap.

Subxero do you have a DIY for it???

Maybe someone else does?

Old August 12th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Viskoner
ninjette.org newbie

Ps subxero we have the same year and model...what colour hugger did you get

Old August 12th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
there is a DIY in the, you guessed it, The DIY sticky section at the top of the new gen sub forum. It is in the cosmetic mods section.

here is link

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=1099

I did not do what this guy did in his DIY, i did write a description of how i did it towards the bottom of the DIY thread.

The color of the hugger? its flatish black like in the pictures i linked 2 posts above yours.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old August 12th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #7
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The EX300 chainguard has a small hugger built into it, depending on exactly what you're looking for. It's also pretty cheap, only $30 from Partzilla.

It's nearly a bolt-on. You'll have to remove the inner chainguard clip thingy off the swingarm or trim the 300 guard around it. It also uses a couple screws in front and on the right side to hold it down - you can simply drill and tap holes for them. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...150#post873150

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
cbr hugger requires no permanent alterations of the bike = winner in my book.

Old August 13th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The clip is pretty close - I think you could trim the 300 piece a bit to avoid altering the swingarm. Instead of the additional screws, you could probably use 3M double-sided tape and/or zipties as well (like some other huggers use).

I think it fits better (using the original chainguard tabs), and doesn't require any cutting of the visible plastic (which could end up looking bad if you do a poor job). In my case, it was a used part going on a different bike (with a slightly different brake line setup), so I didn't mind modding the swingarm a bit for a perfect fit with the 300 piece. I did consider the CBR part, but ended up going with the 300 part in the end.

You might prefer one option or the other for certain reasons. Do whatever makes you happy. I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, just pointing out another option (as I had some difficulty finding something that fit my needs exactly when I was planning this out).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote