Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:28 AM   #41
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I think that is a yes or no question. No. I got the front up a bit in the air on my test ride and I was just trying to get from 10-80 as fast I it would go.

also
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121097
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:29 AM   #42
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Possibly some more practice today in a few hours. Maybe I can find something to prop my phone up with to record a quick video.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #43
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Got a very productive ~2.5 hour session in today. Learned a few things I'll share with you guys.

Have you every played that game at an arcade where there is a string of light bulbs that light up one at a time and your job is to hit the big red button just at the moment the one light in front of you is lit? That is exactly the 'game' you play when doing clutch ups. The "light" you are keeping watch on is the rpms you know lift your bike up to the balance point. Pretty simple but I just thought the two were so similar I would mention it. If you go a little under your rev point you aren't going to have any success (with our bike). If you go a little over you are going to be popping it up a tad bit too far and be forced to make corrections.

One thing I learned today is that a perfect combination of road speed, engine speed, bounce, throttle speed, and I think to a lesser extent body positioning are crucial to doing anything resembling a wheelie on the 250. For first gear I have found that going almost to a dead stop produces good results. This is because you actually have the most time to get the bike up and ride it out on one wheel. When going faster you have to be more accurate because you will quickly come back down or loop out compared to going very slowly. This helps to analyze what you are doing because it doesn't happen so quickly.

After a lot of trial and error I realized you have to be very systematic with when you dump your clutch. Once you find that certain engine speed that is working for you (combined with the road speed, throttle speed, etc...) that is what you aim for every single time as precisely as you can; the more repetitive the movements the more predictable they become and they begin to become 2nd nature. We are taught to keep our eyes off the gauges but for this purpose your eyes need to be glued to the gauge until that finger slips off the clutch.

The bounce is a little easier to replicate from one wheelie to the next so there is not much to keep in mind here other than you can make yourself loop out if you give too forceful of a bounce. Pumping the bike is essential for the wheelie, it is not just gospel it's the difference between 6 in. and 3 feet. If you give the bike a real forceful pump you can get away with 8k revs. I dont see any real reason to do this though as you will wear yourself out in no time.

I said I would experiment with how hard I opened the throttle and that's exactly what I did today. What I learned is that just like any of the other variables, the throttle speed is just as important. Too slow-no wheelie, too fast- too high of a wheelie. My best wheelies today were when I gave it a good hard throttle with about 2 seconds in duration from idle to 9k rpms. You can almost count it in your head, at 1 second the engine is about 4.5k and the next second the needle is hitting 9k and you're dumping the clutch.

I hope it doesn't seem like I was stating the obvious too much here but a lot of my uncertainty was removed today after a lot of trial and error and I wanted to impart some of that to whoever wants to learn now or in the future.

One thing I began doing was using my rear brake to bring my bike's speed down just prior to the wheelie so that I am always reminded of my backup on the occasion I overrev the bike. Everything happens very quickly so having things drilled into your head is key!

Wheelies are a bit of a workout so wear lots of deoderant!

Cliffs: Road speed x Engine speed x Pump x Throttle speed = Wheelie. Change any of these variables and you'll have to compensate somewhere.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #44
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2109 View Post
i dont understand why this forum always has to get all high and mighty. He wants to pop wheelies, he is asking how, he isnt asking what sort of gear to wear. Just answer the mans question, jesus

they are a little difficult on the 250 but not impossible. Here are basic steps:

1. Roll 5-10 mph
2. Pull the clutch and rev to 10k-12k
3. Quickly feather the clutch (not dump it)
4. Just hold the throttle and ride the wheelie out

you should always have your foot over the rear brake incase of an emergency

its even possible to loop a 250

Link to original page on YouTube.

now is the appropriate time to put your In, after you answered the op's question

remember to gear up, and never ride too far outside of your comfort lever

these things have comfort levers!?
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:04 PM   #45
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

post a video

Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #46
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
post a video
Plan on it. Phone died today but I got one video that is out of focus. Not very interesting in my opinion. I'd really like to have a gopro right about now!!!!

Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #47
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
^ just curious but how much do you weight? I don't think weight would make a huge difference but probably a slight difference with the 250.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:01 PM   #48
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
.......For first gear I have found that going almost to a dead stop produces good results. This is because you actually have the most time to get the bike up and ride it out on one wheel. When going faster you have to be more accurate because you will quickly come back down or loop out compared to going very slowly.......
Very interesting finds and post, Justin.

One note about road speed:
A total stop or a very low road speed eliminates the balance of the rear wheel, once the steering is out of the equation; starting up in perfect balance is important in that case.

Above expert advice from Post #23 recommends starting at 5 ~ 10 mph, which means moving at 7.3 ~ 14.7 ft/sec
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:03 PM   #49
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
^ just curious but how much do you weight? I don't think weight would make a huge difference but probably a slight difference with the 250.
Good question. I weigh 195 lbs and am 6' 2". I think I look retarded on the bike tbh lol.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:09 PM   #50
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very interesting finds and post, Justin.

One note about road speed:
A total stop or a very low road speed eliminates the balance of the rear wheel, once the steering is out of the equation; starting up in perfect balance is important in that case.

Above expert advice from @%1; recommends starting at 5 ~ 10 mph, which means moving at 7.3 ~ 14.7 ft/sec
Ok I will give it another try but like I posted earlier something else has to change too. I think I balance the bike well at stops so maybe that's how I'm able to accomplish them at.such low speed

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #51
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

Haters gonna hate man. Just keep riding and the bike control will come with it.

Wheelies aren't just about doing wheelies. They are about bike control.

Most of my friends are stunters. They are some of the most talented riders I have ever seen, the amount of bike control is amazing. We aren't talking about just wheelies either. You should really seek a group out. They are very friendly people, you will learn something, and I guarantee a lot could out ride even most experienced riders. Most do not cruise the streets either, they are usually in a lot area.

A very talented female rider named Brittany started out on a Ninja 250r and she absolutely kills it. Don't let the haters on here get to you.

Honda CRF50's are really cheap. A lot of people start out on them, they are bulletproof, and you won't be afraid to crash it. Fiddystunts!

Just some examples.

Here is a link to some other stunt videos posted here before, good stuff:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114271

Old January 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #52
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Got another session in today. Can't say much other than I am getting better. I recorded myself and it seems like I am not getting it far enough up even though it feels like it. The few times I've gotten it up to balance point I've let off the throttle and had the front come down hard. The balance point feels pretty high up there. I guess my goal for next session is getting it up higher and trying to ride it out more. Im gonna experiment with no bounce now because it looked kind of silly in the video.. the suspension is just too soft. 10k rpms also feels more reliable.

Old January 4th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #53
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
call me a middle school kid with a perverted mind but that ^ was funny. Don't even need to change any wording it is perfect the way it is.

In short good luck keeping it up. Keep recording yourself if it works for you, some people like the bounce some don't, experiment with RPM's till you get what gives you the most control and results you are looking for

Old January 4th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #54
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Got another session in today. Can't say much other than I am getting better.

Old January 5th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #55
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
call me a middle school kid with a perverted mind but that ^ was funny. Don't even need to change any wording it is perfect the way it is.

In short good luck keeping it up. Keep recording yourself if it works for you, some people like the bounce some don't, experiment with RPM's till you get what gives you the most control and results you are looking for
Haha damn you

Old January 5th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #56
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Post a vid!

Old January 5th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #57
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Are yo going to post the video? I'd like to see it.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #58
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Are yo going to post the video? I'd like to see it.
I'll post a clip I guess but its nothing you haven't seen already. I'll definitely show you guys once I get to that balance point. Wish me luck cause my internet sucks

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #59
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
I'll post a clip I guess but its nothing you haven't seen already. I'll definitely show you guys once I get to that balance point. Wish me luck cause my internet sucks
I don't really want to see a clip of a 250 doing a perfect wheelie, i'd rather see someone attempt to do one to help determine problem areas for pulling wheelies.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #60
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
I agree with this ^

Don't worry about what it looks like now. See the progression of your wheelies i think would be great.

The fact that you can get your front wheel off the ground more than a foot i think is good progress in it's self.

Old January 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #61
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Too bad products like wheelieteach.com are focused on the bigger bikes.
I think that would be awesome tool, although I have my reservations about how well it would go once you removed that device.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #62
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviantTurtle View Post
Generally speaking, you would want to go with the largest rear sprocket to create the most low end torque possible, unfortunately I don’t think a 60 tooth sprocket is available for the Ninja 250
Holy **** are you serious!? You can increase torque by changing the sprockets!? Do yamaha and suzuki know about this yet!?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #63
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

http://www.gearingcommander.com//
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #64
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

I have -1, +2 gearing I don't think I'm gonna mess with it any further than that. I think it made a slight difference, just enough to tell I guess. You get a little choppy throttle in 1st gear if you're not mindful

Old January 10th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #65
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc View Post
You should really seek a group out. They are very friendly people, you will learn something, and I guarantee a lot could out ride even most experienced riders. Most do not cruise the streets either, they are usually in a lot area.
I have no clue where to look for a group. I havent seen anyone stunt the entire time I've lived in FL.

Old January 10th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #66
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

http://stuntride.com/vbstunt/forum.php

Hit up stuntride.com & ask around for your area.

Stunters from all over the world frequent the stunt ride forum, even the professional stunters. Stunting is a very small sport with a small community.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #67
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

lol so I was just curious of how little power our favorite baby ninja has. So dropped the clutch around 6-7 rpms. My face was probably priceless at how far that wheel actually got up. I really didn't think it would do it that low in the rpms... hmm Well got it out of my system don't think I'll be doing wheelies anytime soon. (or ever... what the hell is the point?? lol)

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #68
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
lol so I was just curious of how little power our favorite baby ninja has. So dropped the clutch around 6-7 rpms. My face was probably priceless at how far that wheel actually got up. I really didn't think it would do it that low in the rpms... hmm Well got it out of my system don't think I'll be doing wheelies anytime soon. (or ever... what the hell is the point?? lol)
Uhh, don't think you can wheelie at 7k rpms....
AFM #676

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #69
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Uhh, don't think you can wheelie at 7k rpms....
No wheelie lol but the front came off the ground a wee bit I never claimed I was standing upright!

It could have been slightly high RPM's too... idk I can't honestly remember.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #70
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Go 10mph, rev to 12k and try again
AFM #676

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #71
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Go 10mph, rev to 12k and try again
That sounds scary. I'll pass.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #72
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
That sounds scary. I'll pass.
What's the worst that could happen?

The last time I tried it I broke my leg later that day, so its not that bad
AFM #676

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #73
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
What's the worst that could happen?

The last time I tried it I broke my leg later that day, so its not that bad
LOL. That gave me a load of confidence! I don't want to ruin her already!! She is still pretty. Plus I added a nice gismo today... which I forgot to update the thread about...

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #74
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
learn to wheelie a bicycle. once you can keep a wheelie up indefinitely, learn to wheelie a 50cc with a clutch. once you get used to the gas/clutch instead of pedaling you should be able to hold it up... now move to a bigger bike and its magically easy to balance once you get used to either clutch popping it or using the suspension to pop it up... make sure you record all of your failures. nobody cares that you can wheelie but everyone loves watching stunt fails.

Old January 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #75
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
...make sure you record all of your failures. nobody cares that you can wheelie but everyone loves watching stunt fails.

Old January 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #76
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Thx for the link.

I can wheelie and manual bikes (I rode bmx for a long time) but the trouble I have is mostly getting it up all the way. I think I just need more umpf in both rpms and pump. If i find a group to ride with that will help boost my motivation. Everyone knows we get more extreme in groups

Old January 12th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #77
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Thx for the link.

I can wheelie and manual bikes (I rode bmx for a long time) but the trouble I have is mostly getting it up all the way. I think I just need more umpf in both rpms and pump. If i find a group to ride with that will help boost my motivation. Everyone knows we get more extreme in groups
If the group does their stuff in parking lots, it's all good .. street stunts is dumb.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #78
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
......If i find a group to ride with that will help boost my motivation. Everyone knows we get more extreme in groups
You may consider contacting these local stunters:

http://www.soflasportbikes.com/forum/stunt-freestyle/

They all ride bigger bikes, though.

Old January 12th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #79
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Did a good session this morning. I realize now its better to do more quality practice versus trying to get in as many wheelies as I could in. It's really just a matter of giving 100% of your attention and energy. Anything less is just not gonna work. I'm at the point where I can hit the balance point but I react reflexively by bringing my body in so the bike doesn't stay upright. I just gotta keep experimenting with the throttle to get the right amount of power. I also notice I move my weight around the bike just as if I'm on a bicycle. I know this is good but its keeping my focus off the throttle. That's my rant for today more practice in a bit maybe.

Thx for the link moto ill have to check it out on my computer.

Old January 26th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #80
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
@FvnnyL3tt3r1ng hows the wheelie practice coming, hopefully better than this guy

We still need a video.... especially if you lose it

Won't lie i did a few in the parking lot last week after i got back from a ride, nothing sustained. I was skeptical at first but after trying a few i could easily see someone giving the little 250 to much throttle at high rev, completely dumping the clutch and flipping and losing it. Once you get a feel for speed, rev, throttle, clutch it comes up pretty easily.