ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #1
njmetty
ninjette.org member

Name: nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Ninja 250 Mod

i am getting ready to purchase my first sports bike hopefully it will be a 2010 Ninja 250. but right off the bat there are some mods i want to do to it. i need some advice, i want to put this gauge on it http://motomalaya.net/blog/wp-conten...er-w-speed.jpg, i want to mod the entire headlight assembly to have these lights http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...-detail-lg.jpg instead of the typical round head lights. any suggestions on where i can start? also i for the gauge i need a wiring diagram so i can match it up with the one i found for the gauge.

Last futzed with by njmetty; April 28th, 2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: bad URL
njmetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Check your second link. It's broken on my end. As to what to do, I couldn't tell 'ya. Got a pregen myself. Good luck figuring it out though! I'm sure someone here knows what to do.

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #3
njmetty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Check your second link. It's broken on my end. As to what to do, I couldn't tell 'ya. Got a pregen myself. Good luck figuring it out though! I'm sure someone here knows what to do.
thanks it should work now

Old April 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Yup, it works now. That should look awesome! I've seen it done on a CBR600, but I have no idea how. Again, good luck with that! Post pics when you manage it.

Old April 29th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #5
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Search for Koso gauges on this site, I know theres a bunch of threads about them and that should help you with the install. As for the lights, you just wanna add an led pattern within the housing?

Good luck, you picked some not too common mods to start with, hope it all goes well when you get the bike.

Old April 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

For the Koso gauges, you might want to contact ztrack157 on here, see this thread. He might be able to get them for you...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Before I give you advice on mods I have to ask you two things.

1) Have you gone through the MSF course?
2) Do you have all your gear?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #8
njmetty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Before I give you advice on mods I have to ask you two things.

1) Have you gone through the MSF course?
2) Do you have all your gear?
no but i have been riding a Yamaha maxim 700 for about a year now, and i live in the mountains. also no i dont have any riding gear other than a leather jacket.

Old April 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #9
njmetty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
Search for Koso gauges on this site, I know theres a bunch of threads about them and that should help you with the install. As for the lights, you just wanna add an led pattern within the housing?

Good luck, you picked some not too common mods to start with, hope it all goes well when you get the bike.
yea basically, i saw how somebody did it on a Hayabusa and i thought it looked pretty sick, i already ordered the LED's so i am going to use Rhino and design what i want them to look like, the make a template for the headlights itself. my question is though, where can i draw power from to power the LED's?

Old April 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I would recommend spending your money on better gear before spending it on gauges and lights.
Not sure if it's just me, but I hardly ever look at my gauges anyway (looking at the road) and LEDs in your headlights look fancy, but don't do much outside of that.

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #11
njmetty
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I would recommend spending your money on better gear before spending it on gauges and lights.
Not sure if it's just me, but I hardly ever look at my gauges anyway (looking at the road) and LEDs in your headlights look fancy, but don't do much outside of that.
what would you suggest that i buy first then?

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmetty View Post
what would you suggest that i buy first then?
A helmet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #13
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Then, an armored jacket.
And motorcycle-specific gloves.
And motorcycle boots.
And armored riding pants.
Then, when you are all covered and protected a little from damage, then you go out and spend money customizing your bike. Remember, you will get very little return on that type of investment when you sell or trade it, much better to spend it on protecting yourself first.
And spend the money on an MSF course. You should have done that first. You will be amazed at what you don't know and may have to try real hard and unlearn bad habits.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #14
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0sh View Post
IMO--No need to go to the extreme. You're on a 250-keep it simple with helmet, gloves and jacket. It's kind of over the top to get boots and pants.
I personally don't wear boots or pants, but it's NOT because it's a 250.

There's absolutely no difference between a 250 and a 1000 in an accident. If you crash at 70, your legs are gone on the 250. Most people that crash at only 20 regret not having pants because the ground will eat through jeans in a split second and shred your legs.

Old April 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #15
t0sh
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
There's absolutely no difference between a 250 and a 1000 in an accident. If you crash at 70, your legs are gone on the 250.
Meh....you have a point.
t0sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Yoda
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

MSF course a definite must. See my experiance.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42687

I do not have a pair of riding pants yet but I do have helmet jacket gloves and Race boots. Even for short jaunts to the store or commuting to work I gear up. Would rather look like a poser then not have it when I need it.

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #17
t0sh
ninjette.org member

@Yoda entertaining your signature is....

Old May 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
IMO--No need to go to the extreme. You're on a 250-keep it simple with helmet, gloves and jacket. It's kind of over the top to get boots and pants.
that's about like saying "it's over-the-top to handle a .22 pistol with care. after all, it's only a .22!"... it may be small, but that doesn't mean if you're an idiot it wont kill you in a heart beat. you have enough power to lose your rear end, and if you're stupid you have enough weight to be thrown into a tree. even if you aren't stupid you could easily have a loss in the front or rear from something unavoidable and go down and crush your leg. wouldn't want to be without proper footware in that case... i like my feet un-crushed and able to move. not to mention the skin on them. and i'm not even going to start on the dangers of other drivers out there. gears not going to do a whole lot for you if 3 tons of steel slam into you. you might as well have been a pedestrian crossing the street.

so with that being said, don't take anything lightly. even if you ARE wearing gear. your brain is still travelling at XXmph when your skull stops moving because you ran into a tree, or some drunk-driver ran a red light.
not to over-react, but riding outside of your own skill-set leads to crashes. and crashes lead to injuries and death. and despite what people may say, not many chicks actually dig scars over 80% of your body because you lost your skin because you were too cool to wear your gear or drive safe.

take classes. learn what causes crashes. learn how to try and avoid them. learn how to try and recover from them once they've started. and learn how to best protect yourself once they actually happen and you're heading into danger with no way out. (e.g. don't try to stand up while you're sliding )

...LOL! talk about a rant...

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM   #19
t0sh
ninjette.org member

I get it thanks. I don't need any more lectures.

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:39 PM   #20
t0sh
ninjette.org member

I have removed my reply from this thread. I understand a couple of you have quoted me, but I understand my statement, ok? I'm not some 15-16 year old child that needs to be told over and over what to do. So please stop.

Old May 1st, 2010, 09:28 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I have removed my reply from this thread. I understand a couple of you have quoted me, but I understand my statement, ok? I'm not some 15-16 year old child that needs to be told over and over what to do. So please stop.
the problem is "some 15-16 year old child" that does need to be "told over and over what to do" will read what you said. they will get bad information (bad info for *them*, anyway.) and might make the mistake of overestimating themselves, or underestimating the risks involved. (e.g. "it's just a 250!")

so don't take our "lectures" as us trying to beat you up. take it as us trying to keep people safer as a whole.