ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 5th, 2022, 11:34 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

eScooters with motorcycles?

I remember that “Bikes on Bikes” gallery where there was a seemingly endless parade of pictures featuring bicycles being mounted to and carried on motorcycles. I’m wondering is anyone has done anything like this for folding eScooters.

For security I would like to park my bike in a safe place and scoot for the last mile when I commute to work. I already have a couple eScooters to park my brother’s car at public chargers and getting around. These are the extended range low-end kind that go 19.6MPH (30kph) and claim up to 28 mile range (Segway Ninebot ES4 and Hover-1 Blackhawk). They are dreaming with those range estimates but they work very well for our intended purpose when they aren’t broken down (flats, melted battery connectors, etc)… which is why I got two of them.

Despite this I feel they are a bit too much to strap on while you ride. Nearly 40lbs each. Even something like a Segway Ninebot ES2 without the extra battery would still weigh too much to have shifting around.

I think the best solution would be something like one of those rigid bike racks that sticks out like an extended tail, holding the bicycle in-line with the motorcycle. Perhaps one can be adapted to securely hold one of the heavier scooters I have. I guess the other option is to find something smaller and maybe close to 25lbs considering it doesn’t have to go far. Only kids scooters seem to fit the bill and none are able to carry my weight. I just don’t see why they don’t put the same battery, scooter controller, and motor into something smaller.

I saw a folding backpack “X6” scooter from the same company that makes my Hover-1 Blackhawk (rebranded HX X8) but the specs just don’t work for me. Maybe there’s something better out there. Open to any suggestions.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2022, 08:52 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hmm, 40-lbs isn't too much to carry, certainly much less than passenger. Suppose trick is to design carrying rack that integrates scooter into bike. Or somehow they can be combined to share some parts and separate like Transformer?

I think Honda did try something like this:
https://www.rideapart.com/features/3...inibike-retro/
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 5th, 2022, 09:51 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hmm, 40-lbs isn't too much to carry, certainly much less than passenger. Suppose trick is to design carrying rack that integrates scooter into bike. Or somehow they can be combined to share some parts and separate like Transformer?

I think Honda did try something like this:
https://www.rideapart.com/features/3...inibike-retro/
I mean it’s too heavy to use a shoulder strap and ride. Every try to use a shoulder bag or a backpack with one strap then have it swing out in you mid-lean? Yeah, can’t let that happen with a 40lb scooter! That’s why it would need a rigid mount of some kind… like you suggest with the rack. I think a rail that attaches over the passenger seat and extends at an incline behind me is the way to go… something where I slot the folded scooter’s tires into the rail, secure it, and ride off. I just wish someone made an eScooter that gets shorter when it folds!

Yeah, that Honda thing is pretty cool. Just wondering why Tesla hasn’t done anything like this with an eScoot that docks/charges inside the car. Guess the Cyber Truck will get close if they actually make that electric ATV they conceptualized and demonstrated but it would use pretty much all of the bed capacity. It wouldn’t be something you always carried around and you certainly wouldn’t use it to scoot from the charger to McDonald’s or Target or whatever.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2022, 05:20 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I mean it’s too heavy to use a shoulder strap and ride. Every try to use a shoulder bag or a backpack with one strap then have it swing out in you mid-lean? Yeah, can’t let that happen with a 40lb scooter! That’s why it would need a rigid mount of some kind… like you suggest with the rack. I think a rail that attaches over the passenger seat and extends at an incline behind me is the way to go… something where I slot the folded scooter’s tires into the rail, secure it, and ride off. I just wish someone made an eScooter that gets shorter when it folds!

Yeah, that Honda thing is pretty cool. Just wondering why Tesla hasn’t done anything like this with an eScoot that docks/charges inside the car. Guess the Cyber Truck will get close if they actually make that electric ATV they conceptualized and demonstrated but it would use pretty much all of the bed capacity. It wouldn’t be something you always carried around and you certainly wouldn’t use it to scoot from the charger to McDonald’s or Target or whatever.

Well, ya did it wrong then... ya put your head and arm through the strap
that way it can't swing off your shoulder !
.... make your own e-scooter ! sounds like you have the knowledge to do it
it would make a fun project ! and you might wind up with something that is superior to anything on the market and small enough to haul with you on the bike ! ..... I'd certainly consider that if I was in your shoes !
Bob....

Old April 11th, 2022, 08:08 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Got any photos of this eScoot?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote