Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old August 8th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Tell me about rearsets.

So I'm seeing the Woodcrafts on fleabay for a bit over $200, but I go look on RevZilla, and they're over $300.

Is there something missing from the sets on ebay? Will the footpegs move back 2 inches and up 1 inch, and still with the stock brake lever/shifter, or is that what the price difference is?

I really want to get this figured out before I order anything.

Thanks.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Links to what you're looking at for comparison?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #3
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

What are the best rearsets?
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

The best rearsets are not related to brand, but instead the product allows you to find the sweet spot on the bike. For example; the woodcraft rearsets I have offer NO adjustability, while they are a fine product, it may not fit other riders needs. Adjustable rearsets cost a bit more yes, but may offer you the adjustability you need to feel confident on the bike. That alone is worth the extra big face.

Old August 9th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Thanks.

I would be looking for adjustable ones with folding pegs to avoid frame damage as much as possible. From there, which ones do this and last.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Links to what you're looking at for comparison?
ebay rearset (and similar price at some other outlets like Motorcycle Superstore).

Woodcraft rearset on Revzilla

Vortex rearset for comparison

Revzilla might offer them without the levers, but the website doesn't show them that way, so I'd probably have to call. But I want to be sure that I can use the stock levers for now if that's possible. If I have to get the levers with it, I'll probably wait until next month, since my race budget is pretty tight.

Old August 9th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #7
gptoyz
ninjette.org member

Name: gptoyz

Motorcycle(s): ninja

I've always liked the sato stuff from dan kyle.

I have sato on all my street and track toys since my 04 636.

The reasons they are good:
#1 strong quality aluminum - I've had crashes where the foot peg acted like a slider and all I had to do was replace a lever, clip on bar and a sato foot peg and I was ready to get back to riding
#2 knurled foot pegs, and you don't have to worry about positioning them wrong, they are completely round!
#3 ball bearings and high quality components - the action is super smooth. I remember my friend getting a knock off sato, it looked close, until it failed!
#4 adjustable - every part is adjustable from foot peg position, brake lever engagement, shifter engagement and reverse shift (if that's your thing)

http://www.satoracing.com/rearsets_ninja300.htm

would also like to throw out there, but I don't believe they supply for the ninja 300:
gilles
driven racing
CRG
gptoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptoyz View Post
I've always liked the sato stuff from dan kyle.

I have sato on all my street and track toys since my 04 636.

The reasons they are good:
#1 strong quality aluminum - I've had crashes where the foot peg acted like a slider and all I had to do was replace a lever, clip on bar and a sato foot peg and I was ready to get back to riding
#2 knurled foot pegs, and you don't have to worry about positioning them wrong, they are completely round!
#3 ball bearings and high quality components - the action is super smooth. I remember my friend getting a knock off sato, it looked close, until it failed!
#4 adjustable - every part is adjustable from foot peg position, brake lever engagement, shifter engagement and reverse shift (if that's your thing)

http://www.satoracing.com/rearsets_ninja300.htm

would also like to throw out there, but I don't believe they supply for the ninja 300:
gilles
driven racing
CRG
The main reason I'm inclined to go with Woodcraft is that they are very common in the area, almost all the 250 riders in the area use them, so if I need a spare part, there's a good chance I can get one at the track....

Also, I've sat on a 250 with the Woodcrafts, and they fit me fine, so I don't think I'll need one of the others with lots of adjustability. I just want to increase my corner clearance, as I'm turning the stock pegs into metal shanks....

Old August 11th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Those ebay woodcraft seem to come with all that is needed by the kit description in the auction. I dunno though... it's ebay ya know.

Yep by far, woodcraft will get you farther in the paddock vs. any other brand. Good thinkin' right there.

Note on the woodcraft rearsets, you will need a shorter rear brake hose or it will kink up real bad.

Old August 11th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Those ebay woodcraft seem to come with all that is needed by the kit description in the auction. I dunno though... it's ebay ya know.

Yep by far, woodcraft will get you farther in the paddock vs. any other brand. Good thinkin' right there.

Note on the woodcraft rearsets, you will need a shorter rear brake hose or it will kink up real bad.
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to cut the rear brake hose to length? I'll have to look and see how it's capped. I'll figure out a way to get it to work. I think I'll go ahead and order them tonight. I might wait until after next round (the 23-24) to try installing them, though, in case I screw something up and have to order more parts.

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Question on the adjustability of the wood craft units. This lack of adjustment. Are you talking peg positioning or levers? Are you using the complete set with the supplied levers or are you using the stock levers on the basic wc rearset?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #12
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Question on the adjustability of the wood craft units. This lack of adjustment. Are you talking peg positioning or levers? Are you using the complete set with the supplied levers or are you using the stock levers on the basic wc rearset?
Well, that's basically my question. Can I get away with using the stock levers with the WC rearsets? Bloody racing budget...I'd rather spend the money on actual entries, but right now, the stock footpegs are the biggest hindrance to me going faster and deeper through the turns. Now that it's not me anymore, I want to start making upgrades to help the bike get faster.

Once I get decent corner clearance, I'll get some springs in front and a better shock (but I need to check the rulebook for all the classes I run to make sure of what's allowed).

The description said they work using the stock levers, so I'm going to go with those for now. I'll upgrade them later if I need to. I've only got two more race weekends this year, so I'm hoping to get some more upgrades (and a few track days) done in the offseason.

Thanks for the help again!

Old August 12th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Well, that's basically my question. Can I get away with using the stock levers with the WC rearsets?
Yes sir, you can use the stock bits. The kit should come with a longer shifter linkage.

Old August 12th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yep Chris, that is how my 250 is set up. wc with stock levers. Once installed, they don't offer any adjustability of the pegs. Sure, you can adjust your brake and shift lever as normal.

Old August 12th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #15
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

One thing about the Vortex rearsets to keep in mind is the damn pegs. While they grip really well, they tear the ever-loving-mess out of the bottom of your boots. Mitch has WC pegs on the ninjette but vortex on the 636 and literally he has to replace the the wear insert on the bottom of his Vortices after like a quarter of the season.

(and got help you if you snag your leg on them - gashers!!!!!!!!)
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I have a different rearset question, but also applicable to Ninjettes assuming that the adjuster plates which move the stock pegs up and back are being considered.

The foot position on my GSXR is just fine, at least for anything I'm likely to do even on the track. The pegs are nice and grippy, too.

So given that, why drop three Benjamins on rearsets? Is it because they'll act as sliders in a crash? Is it because the pegs are easier to replace after a crash?

Similar question for clip-ons, though this of course doesn't apply to the Ninjette. The stock ones on my GSXR are just fine. So why spend money on aftermarket? The only reason I can think of is crash damage.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #17
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Adjustability, replacement parts.

Rearset adjusters are decent for doing the job cheaply, but they really aren't great for getting the levers lined up perfectly for easy shifting. Always a compromise on space and angle

Aftermarket rearsets also have replaceable pegs and levers that are intended to break off in a slide instead of damaging the rearset. Replacing a $10 lever and $10 peg is a lot cheaper than replacing $70 rearset adjuster and potentially OE priced rearset.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote