ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old September 13th, 2018, 01:49 PM   #1
saber63
ninjette.org member

Name: F

Motorcycle(s): '90 250 project, '03 250r, '14 STR,12 STR, '01 R6

This is why people ask for cash in hand for test ride

So last winter, I was THAT guy... I showed up to test ride a bike for sale, 2012 Street Triple R. 14K miles. guy was asking on the high side for it.

Issue, It was a Cold, WET November in Washington. So I grabbed my wet weather gear. threw a leg over, noting the 14K mile 6yo crappy tires.

10 min later, at about 60mph while braking, I rode over a wet tar snake, and the front end drops out from under me, and bike and I slide down the road....

I of course bought the bike, full asking price. borrowed a friends truck the next day to get the bike home.

mainly cosmetic damage, thought I bent the bars. but was actually just the mounts shifting. Burned holes in my ~10yo fieldsheer cyclone suit and waterpoof gloves... and my new Astar boots grrr

Oh well. live and learn

saber63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Did you actually put cash in the guys hand before you rode it or did you just be a nice guy and pay him when you got back.

Or did you play it cool and say I like it! Great bike, I'll take it! as you pull up on a flat bed truck.

I don't think I would have taken an unfamiliar bike out in the rain myself.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
I don't think I would have taken an unfamiliar bike out in the rain myself.
It wasn't my first choice, but it was raining when I went to buy my 250. I negotiated a price and told the young owner that I needed to ride it before I closed the deal. He started to scrunch up his face, but I handed him the cash amount we had agreed on and told him that if I crashed it, he keeps the money and I keep the bike. His face looked better right away.

I rode very conservatively about a mile or so in the light rain, checking that the transmission was OK, there weren't any odd sounds, etc., then came back and loaded it onto my van.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 13th, 2018, 11:20 PM   #4
saber63
ninjette.org member

Yes, I put cash in the guys hand before riding.

I did return with a triumphant "well im buying your bike! ... Cause I crashed it!"

We laughed about, and chatted about when he was available for me to pick it up via truck.

I've commuted/joy road in the rain a lot. But always on nice pilot roads or the like. Not 6yo 14k mile squared off hard OEM tires.

It got new tires asap!

Old September 14th, 2018, 06:22 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I test rode my son's Ninja 500 around the block before he bought it - and it handled really sketchy.

I knew the tires were low, but the PO didn't have a compressor. We did buy it, and I rode it home about 8 mi to find it had only 15 psi in the tires.

There are so many things that can be wrong with a used bike it would be hard to draw the line as to who is at fault.

If I would have crashed it would it have been my fault with 15 psi in the tires?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2018, 06:38 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If I would have crashed it would it have been my fault with 15 psi in the tires?
This is not meant to pick on you in particular, Jay, but I believe so. I believe that it's up to the rider to determine if the motorcycle is safe to be ridden. After all, the owner didn't ask you to ride it.

I recently sold a motorcycle that was not currently registered or insured. I knew if the buyer went for a test ride and hit a pedestrian, I could be liable for a ton of money. This could happen if the transmission suddenly locked and sent the bike careening off the road, as a far fetched example.

I explained this to the buyer and told him that if he wanted to ride it, we would both sign two copies of a bill of sale, and he'd pay me. Then the deal was done. Then he could ride ride it, and if he didn't like it he'd bring it back undamaged, we would tear up the bills of sale, I'd give him back the money and pretend it never happened.

Old September 14th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
This is not meant to pick on you in particular, Jay, but I believe so. I believe that it's up to the rider to determine if the motorcycle is safe to be ridden. After all, the owner didn't ask you to ride it.
No problem TJ - was just tossing it out there to see what others thought.

I would say it is your responsibility to determine if the bike is safe to ride or not.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #8
saber63
ninjette.org member

Speaking of tire pressure and test rides...

The 250 I just bought, Owner hoped on, took it around the block "make sure its all still in order" because "it has sat a couple weeks"

I hope on, make one turn, go straight back, check tire pressure... 11psi front 18psi rear.... -_-

pumped them up and went on my way. and bought the bike

Felt like the fork was not connected to the bike at those low tire pressures! How they thought it was OK I have NO idea.

ALWAYS do a safety check before you test ride/drive.

Hell a coworker just bought a car, brake fluid had NO CAP! WTF! (its getting replaced and new fluid...)

Old September 15th, 2018, 06:29 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

A lot of vehicle owners have no idea what maintenance is, and it's worse now than it was when I was young, although it's always been bad.

The guy I got my 250 from told me he didn't know why the chain got rusty. I told him it was because he never lubed it. Apparently he though that O-ring chains didn't need the user to regularly lubricate them.

Old October 29th, 2021, 09:12 PM   #10
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Apparently he though that O-ring chains didn't need the user to regularly lubricate them.
It's crazy how them hearing on fortnine or some other motorcycle media that "o-ring chains need less often lubrication" translates in their head to never needing any lubrication or checking. And how do people let brake pads get down to the metal? Shoot the peepers on em once in a blue moon.

When I bought my bike, it was missing one of the caliper mounting bolts. Why? I'm not sure how you lose a two or three inch long big shiny bolt

I wonder how the rest of the non-mechanically inclined world isn't terrified of being consumed by their dangerous, needy mechanical things. Then I remember that ignorance is bliss

I went to buy this truck and the brake light came on as I was pulling back into his driveway during the test drive. The brake pedal got really soft while backing it back down his hill. Come to find out a brake line was rusted through. And it quit running because it ran out of gas.

I'll never trust vehicles during a test drive anymore. People will say it needs nothing when they have nothing to lose
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote