Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Notices

Old September 30th, 2018, 10:46 PM   #1
smoreschoco
ninjette.org member

Name: HK

Motorcycle(s): EX250

First Trip: North Cascade Highway & Blewett Pass

Third week owning the ninjette, I spent 3 days riding the ninjette through some of the best roads in Washington. This was my first trip and also first time motorcycle-camping, and it went really well!

I was fortunate enough to be invited to a group of motorcyclists and did the trip together. They were super friendly and supportive, and we had a hanging out around a campfire on both nights. Typical Pacific Northwest fall weather — light rain all day long, strong gusts over the pass and in the valley.

A 400mi trip like this really helped me gaining confidence and skills. Cruising at high speed was no problem, nor was riding through the twisty highways an issue. The practices of scanning for troubles I got though was very valuable. Many times, I was able to tell a car was about to merge in front of me without even signaling and gave them a loud blast of my brand-new FIAMS horn and slow down before a catastrophe would have taken place.

Through riding in chilly and rainy weather also tested my preparation. I carefully chose and pack layers I need to make myself comfortable. Riding in 45 Deng weather at freeway over the pass was no joke. For the most part, I had my summer mesh jacket on, with my Gore-Tex rain jacket and a down jacket underneath. I also wrap my neck with a scarf to cut the windchill and noise into my helmet. Bottom was a pair of nylon athletic pants as a liner with motorcycle armored pants. At no point I was close to feeling discomfort. That’s probabaly because I learnt the concept of layering through backpacking.

As a side note to anyone trying to get winter specific gears — if you are an outdoor-sy person, you probably have the layers needed. Honestly, if you have a decent rain jacket like eVent or Gore-Tex, just wear it under your non-weather proof motorcycle jacket. If you don’t have one, Costco sells a goretex jacket by Marmot for about a hundred bucks that will outperform any “breathable” jacket liners that motorcycle gear manufacturers supply. With a goretex jacket and a down jacket, my core stay really warm without moisture trapped.

Also, the $10 bungee net I ordered online was a great purchase. It held my 30L heavy duty dry bag and my lightweight backpacking tent without a sweat. Another perk of having gears from backpacking! I don’t need to spend a hundred bucks in getting some saddlebacks and still worry about things getting wet.

High: without the doubt the twisty roads up and down the gorgeous Washington Pass and Blewett Pass

Low: Fall is here roaring with its gusty winds. Nothing will stop it from coming.

Bottom line: do the loop from Seattle to Winthrop via North Cascade Highway with either US 97 or 2 back if you haven’t already!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1658F94D-BAC4-4259-AE8D-65D5E939644F.jpg (179.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 7B348743-D967-45B2-94AD-13A494A8B72B.jpg (247.1 KB, 3 views)
smoreschoco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2018, 06:34 AM   #2
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
outstanding! great country.