ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #41
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztyzo562 View Post
No rhetoric implied, never heard the term squid other than used for sailors.
From allexperts.com:

Squid (motorcycle)
Squid is an irresponsible motorcyclist; it is generally associated with a new or reckless motorcyclist seen riding erratically and/or beyond his or her capabilities, often without appropriate riding gear.

The origin of the word is varyingly attributed as:# A contraction of squirreley and kid, or an acronym for "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous" or "Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"# Observing a squid underwater, it seems that the creature is unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near complete stop. Once the squid does stop and change directions, it can very quickly accelerate back to its regular swimming speed. Beginning motorcyclists (especially sports bike riders) commonly have trouble turning the motorcycle with any substantial amount of speed (causing them to slow down to unnecessarily slow speed to take a turn), while at the same time have a tendency to ride very fast on the straight sections of the road.# Newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the '60s would frequently buy an inexpensive 2-stroke moto for transportation while on shore, whether they'd ever ridden before or not. So, you had large numbers of unprotected, inexperienced "marine life", squirting through traffic in a hurry and leaving a trail of black "ink" (smoke) behind them.

Often young, this motorcyclist is identified by their reckless abandon (speeding, wheelies, stoppies etc.) and by their inappropriate attire (Shorts, backwards ball cap, flip flops, Wife Beater T-shirt, etc). Such a rider eschews all or most of the protective gear worn by many riders (helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, and boots) and the social and legal norms of riding behaviour, and as such is looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who also refer to them as "organ donors", "Zip-Splats", "Skin Crayons", and "soon-to-be-ex-motorcyclists".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It is also said that a fatal motorcycle accident victim often resembles a dead squid.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #42
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

So much for sharing a little of the fun and excitement from my ride with a little satire. The perverbial 'fly on the wall' would have only seen two motorcycles jumping to the speed limit-ish.

I am begining to wonder if we have been recruiting to heavily from KF?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #43
shadow
chicken strips

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Ninja 250R

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
I've never been on a track, but I see you and the other guys taking the turns at 60-80 mph, how fast would those professional motogp guys take those turns, do u think??
I've heard someplace its usually "3-digits-mph" for the 60-80mph turns. I mean, take a look at a youtube video of say, Road Atlanta done on a STOCK R6 (with maybe DOT-legal "RacE"tyres. Their speedo usually sits around 100-130mph, except for the absolute hairpins (and thats on the "repli-racer" type of bike Squids keep givin me buisness with...). Then figure that MotoGP is done on Completely Race-prepped 800cc superlight bikes...

Old October 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #44
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
So much for sharing a little of the fun and excitement from my ride with a little satire. The perverbial 'fly on the wall' would have only seen two motorcycles jumping to the speed limit-ish.

I am begining to wonder if we have been recruiting to heavily from KF?
Hey bud, not sure if you're referring to the above allexperts.com quote or not. If so, I want to clarify that it was to answer Mizty's question only (about what a "squid" is), with no reference to you or anyone else.

Old October 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #45
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
Hey bud, not sure if you're referring to the above allexperts.com quote or not. If so, I want to clarify that it was to answer Mizty's question only (about what a "squid" is), with no reference to you or anyone else.
No Anthony, I did realize you were only clarifying Mizty's question, and my comment was not geared toward you or that post. I am just frustrated that right from the beginning my light-hearted post, that was supposed to just be fun, turned the direction it did. Thank you to those that did recognize that though and tried to balance it out a bit.

There doesn't seem like much point in resurrecting this particular thread or trying to save it, because I would feel like I am just reiterating what I have already said, or defending myself... I am just disappointed and frustrated that sharing my 2-3 sec. experience became license to criticize, draw assumptions, and name call... and when this was pointed out, a couple let pride get in the way by digging a little deeper. The reason I defected to this board was for the kind, respectful, and helpful community of 250r fans, and although that is almost always the case here, that didn't happen in this thread.

Old October 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #46
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #47
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
I've heard someplace its usually "3-digits-mph" for the 60-80mph turns. I mean, take a look at a youtube video of say, Road Atlanta done on a STOCK R6 (with maybe DOT-legal "RacE"tyres. Their speedo usually sits around 100-130mph, except for the absolute hairpins (and thats on the "repli-racer" type of bike Squids keep givin me buisness with...). Then figure that MotoGP is done on Completely Race-prepped 800cc superlight bikes...
Right on, that's what I figured, that's crazy....I gotta start catching these moto gp races, if they ever put them on tv....It's way more entertaining than nascar IMO...
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #48
kkim

Quote:
Right on, that's what I figured, that's crazy....I gotta start catching these moto gp races, if they ever put them on tv....It's way more entertaining than nascar IMO...
Do you have the Speed" channel? The GP races are on there.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #49
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Have you seen "the doctor, the tornado & the kentucky kid" ? Theres a shot in there where a little mechanic whips the repsol honda around in a little half circle. Those bikes have to lite as hell with some kinda low center of gravity

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #50
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kerry, why was "The Doctor" following around the "Stoner"?

I think that they should have drug testing and most of all not be able to advertise their lifestyle on the back of their leathers.

Having said that, if getting stoned makes you ride like that, I'm getting a Medical Marijuana card.

Old October 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #51
HKr1
IC2(SW)

^ You "crack" me up dude! LOL

Old October 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #52
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post

Having said that, if getting stoned makes you ride like that, I'm getting a Medical Marijuana card.
How squidly THAT would be.

LOL - Just kidding... thought I would get my sense of humor back and be ironic, given the twists and turns of this thread.

Old October 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #53
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
No, I dont, I got the basic Direct tv package, which is useless, I really never watch tv, I would watch these races though, I'll have to look into getting a package with the speed channel, hopefully it wont cost much more..Thanks
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #54
kkim

Quote:
No, I dont, I got the basic Direct tv package, which is useless, I really never watch tv, I would watch these races though, I'll have to look into getting a package with the speed channel, hopefully it wont cost much more..Thanks
That's too bad. Great racing to watch and learn. Well worth the time and money. Perhaps someone knows a site that has the GP races available online?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #55
headshrink

Quote:
There is SOME 'speed' stuff on hulu, not much. You could also check youtube I guess.

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #56
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
No Anthony, I did realize you were only clarifying Mizty's question, and my comment was not geared toward you or that post. I am just frustrated that right from the beginning my light-hearted post, that was supposed to just be fun, turned the direction it did. Thank you to those that did recognize that though and tried to balance it out a bit.

There doesn't seem like much point in resurrecting this particular thread or trying to save it, because I would feel like I am just reiterating what I have already said, or defending myself... I am just disappointed and frustrated that sharing my 2-3 sec. experience became license to criticize, draw assumptions, and name call... and when this was pointed out, a couple let pride get in the way by digging a little deeper. The reason I defected to this board was for the kind, respectful, and helpful community of 250r fans, and although that is almost always the case here, that didn't happen in this thread.
Hi Bob, I think this thread could be resurrected in the spirit of fun. Sometimes we do take things a little too seriously. I would not consider you a squid because I don't consider your described act dangerous, albeit perhaps frowned upon by some. The very personality of our Ninjette is that of fun, so I enjoy her as such. All we need are some skills, common sense and road manners.

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #57
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I do. It is terrific!

Old October 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #58
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

when i had my g35coupe people would always pull up to me at a red light and try to race. didnt matter what they had. maybe some wanted to beat me. maybe others knew i would win but wanted to see how quick the g would pull. i pulled a hawk 650 yesterday on my 250 accelerating on a straight. of course he was adjusting his visor while i was working the clutch.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #59
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
when i had my g35coupe people would always pull up to me at a red light and try to race. didnt matter what they had. maybe some wanted to beat me. maybe others knew i would win but wanted to see how quick the g would pull. i pulled a hawk 650 yesterday on my 250 accelerating on a straight. of course he was adjusting his visor while i was working the clutch.
Is the G35 the luxury version of the 350Z, or are they totally different cars?

Old October 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #60
k1prototype
k1prototype

Name: k1prototype

Motorcycle(s): Ducati ST4

Quote:
Is the G35 the luxury version of the 350Z, or are they totally different cars?
Essentially but its a bit different. The Z is a seat sports car. Different body, and interior. The G is a 4 seat luxury coupe and has a larger wheelbase.

Chasis and engine are the same however. Same with the 370Z and the G37 Coupe

Old October 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #61
headshrink

So I guess it is similar, but obviously not the same then. Both are nice cars.