ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 13th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

A guy in a truck talked to me at a light.

He pulled up next to me on my way to work and said "Can you hear me?"

I nodded and he proceeded to apologize for almost moving into my lane. He said I needed to get one of those fluorescent yellow vests to be more visible. I mean my bike isn't exactly quiet, my jacket, even though it is black and gray, has 3M reflective material all over it that shines silver.

I was actually shocked that he apologized. I just told him that you get used to certain things people in cars do. Honestly I didn't even remember the incident.

Stuff like that happens quite a bit to me and I react to what I see. Like the lady who was going to be braking late to avoid hitting the car in front of her...yeah she was putting on makeup and driving. The lady swerving all over her lane because she is trying to talk on the phone and have her morning coffee. And the guy who tailgated me so close that if I had to stop for whatever reason, he'd run me over. Most likely the guy was just "in a rush to get to work". Leave out a little earlier moron.

Still, this guy was rather nice and just tried to suggest a way to be more visible. For that I thank him. 99% of the people would have just said "oops" to themselves and continued on their way. After that, I said no problem and I was used to situations like that. He was somewhat shocked and then said "be careful!" as the light turned green.

It is good to see some nice cagers out there these days. They are so few and far between.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #2
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

99% of the drivers would NOT have said oops for the simple reason that we never enter their awareness at all. Ask any one of them and they'll say, "What motorcycle? There wasn't any motorcycle." They've even been known to say that while their SUV is sitting on top of the wreckage...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #3
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Cool, I wish I could have an encounter like that....

Yesterday a guy pulled up next to me and proceeded to cuss me out for all that I was worth for weaving back and forth, in my lane, at the speed limit, because I stopped weaving once I saw a cop. He made accusations like I thought I was cool and all that. Every time I tried to get a word in he'd start up again. I think he has Napoleon Syndrome. I stopped trying to explain and when I finally got a chance thanked him for his concert and wished him a good day, then proceeded to do the exact same thing as before, only more pronounced. I can play at the aggravating game too, nimrod! He drove by at another stop light shacking his head.

Why do I tell this story? LOL, BECAUSE HE SAW ME? And he, "being a rider for 20 some odd years" should've picked up on that...

This affirms my belief that to stay safe on the road, I must do what I feel to be the right thing, and can't try and please everybody. It's sad to that it is this way....

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #4
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
weaving back and forth, in my lane, at the speed limit
I've had a cop flip his lights at me for doing the same thing and yet be told by other motorcyclists that it's legal to do. And not edge to edge weaving, just a lazy weave in the middle of the lane.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #5
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
yup yup, I think people think that because we're on the road, we should be behaving like cages.... For some reason, I'm not willing to acquiesce to that...

Old October 13th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #6
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
weaving back and forth, in my lane, at the speed limit
Aha so I'm not the only one that does that!
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

whats the point of weaving in your own lane? I see people doing that all the time and it gets on my nerves. People behind you don't know what the hell you're doing, they start slamming their brakes which causes traffic and maybe a collision!

Me as a rider I even start to get nervous seeing that, cuz i don't know if their doing that cuz of lack of control, of they want to switch lanes or just because they want to be a-holes.

Old October 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #8
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
whats the point of weaving in your own lane? I see people doing that all the time and it gets on my nerves. People behind you don't know what the hell you're doing, they start slamming their brakes which causes traffic and maybe a collision!

Me as a rider I even start to get nervous seeing that, cuz i don't know if their doing that cuz of lack of control, of they want to switch lanes or just because they want to be a-holes.
I do it when I get bored... or when the guy infront of me is driving 20 under the limit for no good reason

If someone in a car is so shocked by someone weaving that they go "HAMMER THE BRAKES I DONT KNOW WTF TO DO!!!!!" sounds to me like they just got their licence and are too nervous to be on the road.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #9
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I do it when people are traveling way slower than the posted speed limit. Its my release on the stress of me wanting to pull up beside them and yell at them at a stop light or sign or pass them. I'd rather be an a-hole weaving in my own lane traveling at their slow speed than be the a-hole that passes a cager like they are sitting still because they lack the skill to handle their car and drive it at the correct speed.

On a side note if someone behind me feels that they need to slam on their brakes because I'm doing this.. it prob. means that cager is following way to close behind me. God forbid I actually do lose a tire or something, they would have to lock them up and hope they dont end up stopping on top of me.

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

If I am on a straight road and no one else is around I sometimes ride on the tire marks left from swerving cars or cars doing burnouts that are curved.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
I do it when I get bored... or when the guy infront of me is driving 20 under the limit for no good reason

If someone in a car is so shocked by someone weaving that they go "HAMMER THE BRAKES I DONT KNOW WTF TO DO!!!!!" sounds to me like they just got their licence and are too nervous to be on the road.
CHANGE YOUR LANE! honk your horn! flicker your lights! there are so many other things you can do.

I admit, I weave like that too, just cuz its fun, but i don't do it when there are cars behind me. I make sure there is NO ONE behind me when i decide to do something I think is fun with my bike. What if you hit a pot hole? what if you lose control? the cars behind you have no clue what you're doing.

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I must say that in general i had very pleasant experiences with truckers. Some of them younger drivers are not so nice, but fellows with some years behind them are very observant and careful.
I find it funny and sad at the same time when a guy with 40 ton truck finds a way to move to the right for me to pass, while an ordinary idiot in a car will do it in about 1% of cases, regardless of the fact that 2 of his funny vehicles fit in one lane.

Today i went for a ride after work and got so depressed and scared after 15 minutes that i turned around and went home. I had six close calls on right turn entering because those morons cannot stay within their lines. Simply terrible. How pathetic must your brain be to cross a line on a blind turn exit with 70% of your car's width??! On a day like this i begin to think that motorcycle was a big mistake. I know im doing nothing wrong, but that wont really help me when one of those maniacs hits me.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #13
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Domagoj, I hear ya. Truckers are awesome! I've plenty of good experiences with them. But most pick-up-drivers here in the states are a bit different.... They do the same thing as the other people you described....

Oh, and why do I weave? It's occasional, usually it's not a conscious decision, it just ends up happening, and usually, it's because I'm bored or my speed is constant.

Old October 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
I've had a cop flip his lights at me for doing the same thing and yet be told by other motorcyclists that it's legal to do.
is it, really?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #15
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:

This is why I do it.

People go "What the hell is that guy doing?" and can't help but notice you when you do weird crap like that. Pissing people off is the best way to get their attention.

I typically do this when I'm not sure if people know I'm there. Approaching an intersection with a crowded left lane (as you approach in the relatively open right lane), for example, poses the risk of one of those idiots jumping out into the right lane to get away from the traffic. If I don't have a car in front of me that I can use as a blocker, I start weaving.

And for the record, this kinda stuff can get you pulled over in Toronto.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #16
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
CHANGE YOUR LANE! honk your horn! flicker your lights! there are so many other things you can do.

I admit, I weave like that too, just cuz its fun, but i don't do it when there are cars behind me. I make sure there is NO ONE behind me when i decide to do something I think is fun with my bike. What if you hit a pot hole? what if you lose control? the cars behind you have no clue what you're doing.
lol.... in time you'll be doing all this too. I said the same thing, why weave, and now being so comfortable I'll occassionally countersteer and weave for awhile just cuz..."hmm I'm warming my tires"... lol
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #17
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
LOL! Me too, Addy. Gotta warm up the edges of my tires in case I hit an unexpected corner...or just for the heck of it. Warm tires are always good!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #18
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I had a close call the other day in which I almost took out a guy on a bright yellow Honda literbike. I was in the centre lane going about 10 mph over the limit. I checked my mirrors including my blind spot, signalled, and proceeded to get into the right lane. All of a sudden I see something almost next to me. It was the Honda. I was able to swerve back into the centre lane as he went by me on the right at Mach I. I ran into him at a rest station a ways down the road and managed to talk to him. The "I didn't see him" was true. He explained what happened. He was a car and a truck behind me in the centre lane and decided he wanted to be in the right hand lane because there was no one there. He swerved out grabbing a handful of throttle catapulting him out into the right lane, which I was already moving into. With his impressive acelleration he would have rear ended me (A Vibe with a 1.8L Engine is slow). Fortunately my swerve gave him enough room to get by me. Otherwise it would have been me and the guard rail with a Honda in between. The moral of the story is that most of the time not having eye bulging acelleration can be a blessing. A Ninjette rider would never have gotten into that situation.

Old October 13th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
The moral of the story is that most of the time not having eye bulging acelleration can be a blessing. A Ninjette rider would never have gotten into that situation.
God only knows I don't have the acceleration of a litre bike but when catapulting forward in traffic I anticipate people not being able to see me, so I either take measures to prevent it or avoid catapulting forward altogether. It comes with the territory of being able to make lightning quick lane changes...which can come in handy in certain situations as well. The whole "he came out of nowhere!" thing certainly does hold water.

But more to the point...I made plenty of lightning quick lane changes when i was still on my ninjette. Riding cautiously applies to everyone...not just bone head litre bike riders

Old October 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #20
Sailariel

James, I don't think that literbike riders are boneheads. The problem with that much power is that once you launch it, you are comitted. The fellow on the Honda admitted that he could not have changed direction while acellerating at that velocity. I was going 75mph. He said that he was going at least 110. An experienced road racer could have possibly avoided an issue, but this guy got over his head real fast. Monday morning quarterbacking was a learning experience for both of us. In the final analysis, I was grateful that I didn't kill someone, and he was grateful for that little swerve that gave him a clear shot. Literbikes are great for some people. For me, that much power detracts from the fun factor.

Old October 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Flashmonkey

Quote:
James, I don't think that literbike riders are boneheads. The problem with that much power is that once you launch it, you are comitted. The fellow on the Honda admitted that he could not have changed direction while acellerating at that velocity. I was going 75mph. He said that he was going at least 110. An experienced road racer could have possibly avoided an issue, but this guy got over his head real fast. Monday morning quarterbacking was a learning experience for both of us. In the final analysis, I was grateful that I didn't kill someone, and he was grateful for that little swerve that gave him a clear shot. Literbikes are great for some people. For me, that much power detracts from the fun factor.
You're right, they're not all boneheads, Alex. And I do agree that the situation turned out well for everyone involved. I'm also impressed that you two were able to talk about it so amicably. I've read about plenty of situations that started out in a similar fashion, but ended with someone getting thoroughly pissed off, which sucks because then nobody learns anything.

I'm not the most experienced rider on here, and definitely can't hold a handle to the years you've contributed to the sport, but I've been in similar situations before...mostly in my car...where I'd draft the truck in front of me to pick up some speed before I'd slingshot myself around it...or where I was in your position: in front of the truck while someone else flew out from behind, and I'll tell you right now that's one of the most dangerous situations out on the roads. From the rider's perspective, that truck is blocking his view of anything in front of him. From your perspective and the truck driver's perspective, that bike isn't there....at all. The danger comes when the rider doesn't realize this and assumes that whatever is in front of the truck (which is blocking his/her view) will remain constant. That's a bad assumption when you don't directly know what's in front of you, and if what's in front of you doesn't know you're there. This can happen on a litre bike or a ninjette....even though the ninjette would require a little more effort and planning.

I learned this lesson the hard way, many years ago, and it resulted in me totalling my mom's car, which was a 90 hp civic . I hope that biker learned that lesson that day as well. The faster your vehicle, the further out you have to plan ahead. I still do dumb crap out there too, so I'm in no position to judge the guy on the bike, but to be fair the ball was entirely in his court.

And I agree with you on litre bikes being a bit much...but I have no experience on them out on the roads. Although these days I'm questioning the sanity of riding a supersport to commute to work...but that's another issue.

Old October 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
Aha so I'm not the only one that does that!
Holy.... I thought I was the only one who did that too! lol!
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #23
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
James, I don't think that literbike riders are boneheads. The problem with that much power is that once you launch it, you are comitted. The fellow on the Honda admitted that he could not have changed direction while acellerating at that velocity. I was going 75mph. He said that he was going at least 110.
It's called speed variance, the difference between one person and the others around him or her. I saw a study published that showed that a speed variance of 5-15 mph increased the chance of a collision by five times. That applies whether a person is going 5-15 mph under the prevailing speed or 5-15 mph over the prevailing speed.

Regarding weaving, I just talked to a police officer and in Texas a motorcycle can be in, or move to, any part of the lane the rider wants, in any manner that's considered safe, i.e. no wheelies, stoppies, or stunting. However, when I questioned him on whether weaving is probable cause for a stop he admitted that he would likely pull over (technically an arrest) someone he saw doing that to investigate why, even though legally there would be no probable cause for that stop. If he found anything else wrong, like no insurance or equipment violation, he would issue a citation. He stated it would be a judgment call based on how the rider was weaving, either safe and controlled or erratically. So, it looks like though it's perfectly legal, being legal is no defense from an arrest (which is what a traffic stop is).

I have found that weaving does frequently get tailgaters to back off, though I've resorted to it only a few times. Now that I know it's legal and that my papers and equipment are proper I'll start doing it more often in response to tailgaters.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #24
Sailariel

I think that James from Toronto made a very important point when he said that the situation we described can happen on a litre bike--"With the Ninjette it takes a bit more effort and planning" That is probably the most compelling reason to start small. I'm glad you made that point--I almost overlooked it.

Old October 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #25
Flashmonkey

Quote:
I think that James from Toronto made a very important point when he said that the situation we described can happen on a litre bike--"With the Ninjette it takes a bit more effort and planning" That is probably the most compelling reason to start small. I'm glad you made that point--I almost overlooked it.
It's a point that bears repeating I think...over and over again.

There's nothing wrong with riding an over powered bike on the streets...so long as you can think far enough ahead of yourself. What a lot of new riders don't realize is that motorcycles generally accelerate faster than anything they've driven or experienced up until that point (fighter pilots excluded, of course). Starting out on a smaller bike (the 250 being ideal, really) at least puts you in the ballpark of what you're used to in terms of acceleration and "planning ahead". Just one of MANY reasons to start out small.