ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 12th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #1
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Name: wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

Acrylic Shields

What's the deal with clear acrylic wind shields? I ordered a Zero Gravity fluorescent blue shield (read basically clear with the slightest tinge of blue), which I received today. I heard it was better to have a more clear than smoke shield due to having to drive at night -- that you can't really see through the dark smoke shields.
I had not seen this disclaimer on the site, but the packaging reads that some motorcycle dashboards will melt in the heat of the sun if parked all day under a sunny sky and with a clear windshield, in this case my new ZG windshield will be the culprit.
Does that really happen -- the dashboard melting or discoloring? When I commute with the moto, it has to sit all day in a parking lot, so will be subject to the bright sun ....
Also, the packaging talks about the windshield not being shatterproof and that could be dangerous. I think if you crash at all, the windshield will be the least concern, but is this not as great a purchase as I had thought -- which I was really psyched to have a new shield coming as mine has a little crack by one of the bolts.
wendyjboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I can see maybe that happening to the dash, but is it a valid concern? The sunlight does cause problems with almost everything, plastic does fade, sometimes get brittle, soften, fading, etc... So blocking its effects would/could be beneficial.

I have a friend with a 99 R6, it had a mirror windscreen when he got it the plastic on his instruments was melted, the PO said it was due to an electric issue. So he purchased another instrument panel that looked new, he installed it and within a week it had starting to melt again.

So he called me to look at the electrics, after I got there and started looking at the bike I found the cause. It wasn't the electrics, it was the mirrored windscreen, due to the angels, it reflected the sunlight similar to a magnifying glass, and melted the plastic.

A simple application of satin black Krylon to the inside of windscreen to stop/block the magnifying effect, and it worked, no more melting plastic.

As fas as some acrylics goes depending on the grade/rating(DOT) it's not very strong, compared to plexiglass, lexan, polycarbonate, etc.... And I agree in the case of a accident, it's way down on the list of concerns, but if a small object, rock etc hit it, it could crack, break, shatter, which for some could be at the very least distracting, maybe dangerous.

Personally I think that it's the lawyers making the companies put said warnings to cover their assets, so to speak, hence all the warnings etc.... No matter how far fetched they might seem, it's called CYA

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I've never heard any such... But ^he has

Old May 13th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #4
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

It seems like my dash is a little faded even though it has the smoke windscreen on it now. It seems like a minor easily forgotten hassle but the company ZG recommends placing something over the dash if it's going to sit in the sun, but what? Just a cloth?

Old May 13th, 2016, 06:08 AM   #5
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

The issue has happened on many bikes, where the screen has a fold line in it, it can sometimes act as a magnifying glass when the sun enters it at the correct angle.

If that happens to coincide with the focus point on a small piece of the dash, as per you can do with an actual magnifying glass to set paper on fire, it will melt the plastic at the focus point.

If the sun light is before or after perfect focus point, then it may fade or distort plastics which do not get hot enough to actually melt !

YMMV
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #6
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'd say if you were concerned about the plastics in the sun to get a cloth cover for it. They're not that expensive, and will protect it nicely. We've got them for all three of our bikes, even in the garage. Husband packs his in his tailbag when he goes to work, since they pack pretty small.
CaliGrrl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #7
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

I bought a light smoke ZG corsa windscreen thinking it would be safe. After Googling it, maybe it's not. I only bought it to get a quieter ride on the highway.

Their link:
http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/pdfs/melting_dash.pdf

It says to point the bike into the sun.

algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjboss View Post
Also, the packaging talks about the windshield not being shatterproof and that could be dangerous. I think if you crash at all, the windshield will be the least concern, but is this not as great a purchase as I had thought -- which I was really psyched to have a new shield coming as mine has a little crack by one of the bolts.
Do they specify the type of material used to make your new windshield.
I believe that all commercially available are made of Lexan.
Plexiglass should be avoided.

Any non-laminated plastic will shatter on impact if sufficient force is applied.
Lexan will stand higher forces than Plexiglass.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #9
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

The ZG shields are acrylic. I don't know enough about wind shields to know what most are made from. I do have a cover, so maybe I will use that. Since I installed the top case, there is plenty of room to carry it.

The other question ... my Ninja is a 1998-2007 model. I saw a video online that said you must remove the upper fairing cowling to install a new shield. Is that so?

Old May 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #10
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

The ZG shields are acrylic. I don't know enough about wind shields to know what most are made from. I do have a cover, so maybe I will use that. Since I installed the top case, there is plenty of room to carry it.

The other question ... my Ninja is a 1998-2007 model. I saw a video online that said you must remove the upper fairing cowling to install a new shield. Is that so?

Old May 13th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Yes, kinda.

The problem is the fasteners on the PreGen, unlike other bikes, the Ninjette doesn't use wellnuts, just nuts sort of part # 92015A they fit thru the backside of the cowling, and if you remove the bolt #92009/washer #92022 they might fall off, and most likely be gone/lost.

So to save lost time, and pieces your better off taking the upper cowling off.

SIDENOTE: my 7Jurock windscreen claims to be DOT approved, according to their website. I've had it on for almost 2 years now with no issues with it so far.

Quote:
7Jurock replacement windshield for KAWASAKI 250R NINJA 1988 – 2007 Models follows the same lines and contours as the original Kawasaki OEM windscreen. 7Jurock offers: 12" – 18" Height, 14" Width. This windshield is wider than the original, providing the rider arms torso wind protection. Beautifully handcrafted from 0.187 (3/16") thick cast aircraft grade acrylic, specified for optical clarity. Available in Clear, Light Gray and Dark Gray. All shields are D.O.T. approved and are manufactured to order. Edges are hand ground and polished. CNC cut and drilled ready to install. NOTE: Dark Gray is 0.125 (1/8").
http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.p...&productId=324

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #12
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Indeed it is true ... ugh ... and only because I replaced that fairing/cowling last year and there is just the slightest variance on the fasteners that I had on hand from the old fairing to the replacement. There is a very specific "this bolt matches that tab" routine to follow in my case, and between the lower bolts which I believe should be identical. I will do it though because nothing is worse than not being able to ride because you lost a nut on the floor or wherever!

And thank you for the schematic @Ghostt ... it will come in handy in more than just this task.

Last futzed with by wendyjboss; May 13th, 2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: props for the schematic