ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

View Poll Results: What do you recommend to secure gear on bike?
Tank bag 3 12.50%
Top case 1 4.17%
Cable lock to bike 5 20.83%
Other 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Need input on how to store gear

So after my little lowside incident a couple months ago I have purchased full gear and upgraded my cheap gloves and boots. My new problem is that I don't have a way of storing/securing all the gear once I get to my destination. Some places would be pratical to just bring everything in but others not so much. I don't really have a problem with leaving the helmet on the bike using the helmet lock. I just need to secure my full gauntlet gloves, jacket with back and chest inserts, possibly riding pants depending on the situation, and the new Armored Air Vest I purchased. I have looked into tank bags that convert to backpacks but think that may be an issue carrying around some places. The tank bag left on the bike with the jacket covering it with a cable lock around it is also an option. The best option for leaving the gear on the bike may be a top case but I am a little hesitant to do that because of the appearance. Anyone have any experience with these methods, methods I haven't listed, or tips?
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Depends on what you want to store. A top case is most practical. I use my sidecases to hold my gloves but I wear or carry the rest. It's not like i'm gonna take my pants off anywhere and the jacket is easy to carry around. Problem for me is the sidecase makes the helmet lock difficult.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think it makes sense to take the gear with. If it's a place that is truly impossible to take the gear with, I'd consider leaving the bike at home.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #4
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Another vote for "other." Take it with you.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #5
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Take it with you!

I like to wear mine...chicks dig motorcycle gear

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #6
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I have a tank bag that converts into a back pack this is the most practical solution that I have found, I have a pair of shoes in my office so no need to carry them. If you are in a situation where it’s not acceptable to carry the gear around don’t take the bike.

Steve

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #7
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I would have to say cable lock. And I feel you bro, there are just places that's really hard to have your gear with you, specially when you have to walk a long way from the parking lot to get there. and I applaud you for getting good gear and try getting a commuter suit, they're easy to put on/off, and is very practical
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #8
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the input guys! I am leaning more towards a tank bag with backpack straps. I really like the top case idea seeing how you can leave it pretty secure on the bike and the one I looked at has a built in alarm on it. However I still think the cases make the bike a little too "scooterish" for my tastes. I have been using a regular backpack but with my new air bag vest it isn't possible to wear one over it in case of deployment.

Anyone have any suggestions for a tank bag (with backpack straps) that is big enough to hold a jacket and other gear and fits the Ninja well?

Old August 8th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #9
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

That would be a huge tank bag. I would just wear or carry the jacket pants as well. If you can't carry them somewhere dont wear them on that occasion.

Old August 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #10
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotgeorge747 View Post
Thanks for the input guys! I am leaning more towards a tank bag with backpack straps. I really like the top case idea seeing how you can leave it pretty secure on the bike and the one I looked at has a built in alarm on it. However I still think the cases make the bike a little too "scooterish" for my tastes. I have been using a regular backpack but with my new air bag vest it isn't possible to wear one over it in case of deployment.

Anyone have any suggestions for a tank bag (with backpack straps) that is big enough to hold a jacket and other gear and fits the Ninja well?
You can also just strap the backpack to the passenger seat with straps or a bungee net. People have been doing it for ages.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #11
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Hey walk around proud with your gear

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #12
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

My bike didn't come with a helmet lock. I bought a backpack to carry it around. I get some looks from security when I wear it into a store. LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #13
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
My bike didn't come with a helmet lock. I bought a backpack to carry it around. I get some looks from security when I wear it into a store. LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just put it all in a shopping cart, that's what I did

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #14
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

LOL. That'll work as long as I don't do it at the store I bought the backpack at. They might make me pay for it again. XD
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if its the store, shopping cart, anywhere else, backpack or leave it on.

Old August 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #16
YORCHI
n00b

On a serious note, if you have renters insurance or anything else that protects your personal property if it's stolen you can leave it on the bike and it'll be covered if something were to happen to it.

I have the Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag and I think it's great. It's about the size of a small backpack so I can't pack my helmet into it but I can pack my gloves and a few other necessary things. I have insurance so if I had to I could just lock the helmet on the bike and carry everything else with me and hope nothing happens to the helmet when I get back. Even in a backpack I only have enough room for my helmet and gloves so it's never going to be a case where everything is stored safely and neatly without me worrying about it or carrying at least one major thing.

If you can't take your stuff with you, leave the bike at home and drive a car.

#KCCO

Old August 9th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #17
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Yeah, but the last thing I'd need to do is put in a claim to my insurance for a helmet. I'd just buy a new one, since I'd pay a least that on the deductible for the claim. And if my helmet gets taken from my bike, then my bike is gonna be stuck where its at till I get a new one. No helmet, no ride. So where are the helmet locks on the ninjettes? I bought mine used and the body has been totally bondo'd/epoxy'd. And my rider pegs and brackets were removed. (See my avatar, if you can make it out). Are there products available to slap a helmet lock on?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #18
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Yeah, but the last thing I'd need to do is put in a claim to my insurance for a helmet. I'd just buy a new one, since I'd pay a least that on the deductible for the claim. And if my helmet gets taken from my bike, then my bike is gonna be stuck where its at till I get a new one. No helmet, no ride. So where are the helmet locks on the ninjettes? I bought mine used and the body has been totally bondo'd/epoxy'd. And my rider pegs and brackets were removed. (See my avatar, if you can make it out). Are there products available to slap a helmet lock on?
Posted via Mobile Device
If you live in an apartment or are renting a house and have renters insurance give them a call to see what your coverage level is and what your deductible is. Then ask them how much more it will cost to bring your deductible down to the next lower step. If it rises too much, see about your coverage level, it might be too high and you don't need that much insurance.

What I'm saying is, paying a deductible that is cheaper than the full cost of a brand new helmet has to be better than paying for a brand new helmet. I don't want to ever leave my helmet locked on my bike but at least I know that if I absolutely have to, it'll be covered if anything happens.

#KCCO

Old August 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #19
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

My policy covers theft, but I'd have to check the policy to see what the deductible is. I don't remember off the top of my head. But my helmet cost about $125. It would be stupid for me to make a claim on a $125 helmet, pay that amount to the insurance company, and probably pay them in increased premiums in the long run because I made a claim. Totally asinine, IMO. And the theft is covered by my vehicle plan, as I don't have renters' insurance. Plus I have the bare minimum coverage as it is. Hence, the reason I would just buy a new helmet. Altho I agree, I'd rather just carry the thing with me in my backpack. It would just be nice to be able to lock it to my bike in the event it wouldn't be feasible to carry it around. I leave it on the handlebars when I park it in my garage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #20
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
My policy covers theft, but I'd have to check the policy to see what the deductible is. I don't remember off the top of my head. But my helmet cost about $125. It would be stupid for me to make a claim on a $125 helmet, pay that amount to the insurance company, and probably pay them in increased premiums in the long run because I made a claim. Totally asinine, IMO. And the theft is covered by my vehicle plan, as I don't have renters' insurance. Plus I have the bare minimum coverage as it is. Hence, the reason I would just buy a new helmet. Altho I agree, I'd rather just carry the thing with me in my backpack. It would just be nice to be able to lock it to my bike in the event it wouldn't be feasible to carry it around. I leave it on the handlebars when I park it in my garage.
Posted via Mobile Device
well yeah that changes everything. if I can find a cheap used helmet I would pick it up just to have as a spare. I don't wanna use my wife's pink helmet but I would if I had to lol you're way of thinking makes sense and I would do the same thing your doing. Good luck with whatever you choose to go with!

#KCCO

Old August 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #21
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

I could just imagine the looks I'd get walking thru Target wearing my helmet. LMAO. Good thing I have a clear visor!

But back to topic: where are the helmet locks located on a stock pre-gen? Bolted to the frame? The fairings? I've seen them on bikes, but I just don't get the concept how they work. How does it secure the helmet to the bike?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #22
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
I could just imagine the looks I'd get walking thru Target wearing my helmet. LMAO. Good thing I have a clear visor!

But back to topic: where are the helmet locks located on a stock pre-gen? Bolted to the frame? The fairings? I've seen them on bikes, but I just don't get the concept how they work. How does it secure the helmet to the bike?
Posted via Mobile Device
I found this picture on google of a stock helmet lock...hope it helps

I edited it a bit to make it easier to see and customized the bike a bit lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yuasa_07.jpg (89.0 KB, 5 views)

#KCCO

Old August 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #23
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Just get a white helmet and suit and you can look like the Stig from Top Gear lol.

Old August 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #24
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Never been gone overnite on the ninjette but always bungee a rainsuit and flat kit and comb I found laying in the street. What ? It's a good comb.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote