ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 7th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Let's talk about cars..

I'm getting a huge promotion at work and looking at possibly upgrading my car since I will be commuting more and would like something...better. (Currently drive an 03 celica GTS automatic which is boring since it's an automatic)

I was kinda looking at getting either an FRS or supra, I really like toyotas.

But I know I want a manual but I've never had one so I figured I would get a practice car first....

Been looking at either getting
-MR2 (90's model)
-Manual Celica (Go with what I know lol)
-3000GT

I don't get the promotion until January so I have a ton of time. I also only have about a 5-7k budget... I'd prefer to spend as low as possible though... I see 3000GT's on CL for about 3k in pretty decent condition with low miles. Celicas and MR2's are pretty cheap too.

Anyway, what's your favorite manual car? User-friendly, etc.?

Do they make any manual cars with wet clutches? Cause that would be awesome lol.

Btw I'm open to literally any cars, I just threw up some cars that I like. The 3000GT is a rather unreliable car but is fast and looks cool lol.
I've always wanted a newer supra like a 94+ model. Only problem is I heard they got poor MPG :/

Old November 7th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

MR2/3000gt/Supra are getting too old and too expensive to reliably commute. Awesome weekend tinker cars, though.. If you get one, expect lots of maintenance OR expect to spend lots of $$$ up front.

I'd suggest a mid-late 90s Miata- VERY cheap and reliable. Only issue is space.

Next is early model RX8's. -cheaper than FRS and just as fun. Maintenance can be sucky if you don't stay on top of it, but it's an amazingly fun car.

A Celica like yours with a stick shift would be cool, but FWD cars are never as fun, so if you're looking for cheap, reliable RWD Jap cars, Miata/RX8 are my suggestions.

Lastly, an FRS wooouuuldd be supah fun, but it'd be like learning to ride on a zx-6r. Rewarding? Yes. Stressful? Yes. Expensive as **** when you inevitably burn the clutch? Double yes.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
60's vw bug
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

If you're looking for real fun, then there's only one car to choose
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...d-today-review

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porsche-930.jpg (63.4 KB, 88 views)
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #5
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Get a truck that can carry a motorcycle. Cars are boring. Yes warm and dry but borrimg.

Old November 8th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Boring is bad mmmmmm kay

Old November 8th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you're going miata, go the 2005 ( i think) mazdaspeed roadster. It's the miata with a factory turbo, better brakes, and better transmission design to handle more power. It's basically what the base model Miata should be.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Also putting this out there, I still don't like using the term 'upgrade' on vehicles when the intent is to get something completely 100% different. That's not an upgrade, that's an entirely different playing field.

Anyhow, with that budget, meh. I would save it for something later. Or for a trailer and track days. Orrrrrrrrr idk. Seems like you're either going to get boring and reliable or fast and modded with that. I know at least that's what I found in that range when I was looking for my tC.

Old November 8th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I second the "get a truck" post. Good for the winter, good for hauling bikes, the girls love them, and so do I.

Old November 8th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

My dad has a plow truck which he gave me the OK on to use if I ever need to, so if I do track in the future i'll just borrow that one (since he has 2 trucks).

My thinking is that I either want something that gets great gas mileage and is really soft suspension, good interior, nice features, probably boring but it will have a lot of nice things about it.
Or
Get a car that doesn't get wonderful mileage, maybe 25 highway, but has some good torque and can put a smile on my face if I ever want to. Or just be a beautiful looking car that I has class like the older cars that I mentioned. If I go this route I don't mind having a stiff suspension.

Either way it has to be a manual.

I read an article on the Honda CR-Z and that was interesting. I just don't like the idea of owning a hybrid though.. So that is pretty much a no.

Old November 8th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
MR2/3000gt/Supra are getting too old and too expensive to reliably commute. Awesome weekend tinker cars, though.. If you get one, expect lots of maintenance OR expect to spend lots of $$$ up front.

I'd suggest a mid-late 90s Miata- VERY cheap and reliable. Only issue is space.

Next is early model RX8's. -cheaper than FRS and just as fun. Maintenance can be sucky if you don't stay on top of it, but it's an amazingly fun car.

A Celica like yours with a stick shift would be cool, but FWD cars are never as fun, so if you're looking for cheap, reliable RWD Jap cars, Miata/RX8 are my suggestions.

Lastly, an FRS wooouuuldd be supah fun, but it'd be like learning to ride on a zx-6r. Rewarding? Yes. Stressful? Yes. Expensive as **** when you inevitably burn the clutch? Double yes.
Good points.

One day I will own my supra, but maybe I should put it on the back burner when I own my own house and can use it as a weekend warrior or something of that effect.

I do like the Miata and don't mind at all the 2 person seating. Hmm

Old November 8th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...so you want an accord manual with the V6...

Old November 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Get a V6 VW Jetta

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #14
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...so you want an accord manual with the V6...
Never cared too much for honda, but I would consider an accord.

My only thing with honda is that although their engines are bullet proof other things seem to go (at least in my experience) for instance, All of my brother's 09 accord calipers were grabbing at one point or another and had to be replaced. He only has about 80k miles I believe too.

However, I still will look at some accords, if the price is right it would be a decent car to learn on driving manual.

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Get a V6 VW Jetta
I'd prefer to drive my auto celica than a jetta.

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
(Currently drive an 03 celica GTS automatic which is boring since it's an automatic)

I don't get the promotion until January so I have a ton of time.

I also only have about a 5-7k budget...
that celica will make it to 300k miles with minor repairs and maintenance. drive it into the ground. in 10 more years, once the engine finally goes, use the running gear to build a track car out of it with some insane electric drive since it'll be cheap since its the future because that celica lasted forever.

don't buy a pool before you actually get that christmas bonus.

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
that celica will make it to 300k miles with minor repairs and maintenance. drive it into the ground. in 10 more years, once the engine finally goes, use the running gear to build a track car out of it with some insane electric drive since it'll be cheap since its the future because that celica lasted forever.

don't buy a pool before you actually get that christmas bonus.
If my celica was a Manual I would drive her into the ground. She has 190k miles right now. I could easily see her hit 250k+ but again, I really want a manual.

I mean, I have 2k in the bank, plus I could get 3-4k for my celica easy and my parent's good lend me a grand or two for registration fees, etc. So I could afford it now with not much owed (and only to my parents). I do agree with the whole "don't do anything until you get the promotion and sign the papers, etc." and that's why I'm not going to buy a brand new car

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
If my celica was a Manual I would drive her into the ground. She has 190k miles right now. I could easily see her hit 250k+ but again, I really want a manual.

I mean, I have 2k in the bank, plus I could get 3-4k for my celica easy and my parent's good lend me a grand or two for registration fees, etc. So I could afford it now with not much owed (and only to my parents). I do agree with the whole "don't do anything until you get the promotion and sign the papers, etc." and that's why I'm not going to buy a brand new car
that is not "affording it". that is barely managing to scrape by while borrowing money from others. this is a bad fiscal plan.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 8th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Roark
ninjette.org sage

@MrAtom, have you considered a manual swap for your Celica? Minus the time and effort, a transmission costs significantly less than an entire car.. (Duh)

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.6gc.net/howto/swap_auto_t...sion_to_manual

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
My only thing with honda is that although their engines are bullet proof other things seem to go (at least in my experience) for instance, All of my brother's 09 accord calipers were grabbing at one point or another and had to be replaced. He only has about 80k miles I believe too.

However, I still will look at some accords, if the price is right it would be a decent car to learn on driving manual.
1) all calipers will grab after some time, especially if you live in salty wintery eastern half of the country. It happens, they just need some cleaning and lubing. Been there and done that on my ninja already. They're not a lifetime service free item. That means nothing to me. Accords are nice, yo!

2) You already are competent at making your motorcycle go, stop, and shift gears, no? Why do you have it in your head that you need a separate car that needs to be purchases with the sole purpose of learning to drive it? It's identical to the motorcycle, just using different appendages to operate the controls. I started driving manual with my temporary permit before I was 16. I picked up the motorcycle in the span of the MSF course which is what, 8 hours of learning? Find a friend who knows how to drive stick, and spend a weekend in whatever car you buy. You'll be fine in no time. I really don't think you need to worry about the giant obstacle of "learning to drive stick" quite as much as someone who literally does not understand the concept of shifting gears.

Old November 8th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #22
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I'd prefer to drive my auto celica than a jetta.
What's wrong with VW's aside from the insurance rates and the fact that German cars are a giant PITA to work on? VW makes really nice cars.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #23
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
@MrAtom, have you considered a manual swap for your Celica? Minus the time and effort, a transmission costs significantly less than an entire car.. (Duh)
I considered for about 5 minutes and then wrote it off.

I could sell my celica for about 4k and I see manuals out there for around 5k with less miles than my car... A manual swap would not only leave me without a car for god knows how long (It's my DD) but also it would most likely cost me a ton of aggravation and in the end probably won't be 100% right. I like to work on stuff and learn, etc. But that's way passed what i'm willing to do lol.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
1) all calipers will grab after some time, especially if you live in salty wintery eastern half of the country. It happens, they just need some cleaning and lubing. Been there and done that on my ninja already. They're not a lifetime service free item. That means nothing to me. Accords are nice, yo!

2) You already are competent at making your motorcycle go, stop, and shift gears, no? Why do you have it in your head that you need a separate car that needs to be purchases with the sole purpose of learning to drive it? It's identical to the motorcycle, just using different appendages to operate the controls. I started driving manual with my temporary permit before I was 16. I picked up the motorcycle in the span of the MSF course which is what, 8 hours of learning? Find a friend who knows how to drive stick, and spend a weekend in whatever car you buy. You'll be fine in no time. I really don't think you need to worry about the giant obstacle of "learning to drive stick" quite as much as someone who literally does not understand the concept of shifting gears.
Yeah, I was looking at the accords and now I'm considering them even more. Nice leather seats, solid 250hp engine still managers just under 30mpg. Not bad at all.

I mainly just want a manual in general. If I did pick up an 06 accord or miata or what have you and it ends up riding nice and I like it a lot then i'll keep it for years. Although it will be hard to keep it with me having a lot more income in the bank lol.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
that is not "affording it". that is barely managing to scrape by while borrowing money from others. this is a bad fiscal plan.
You are correct that it's not a good plan. But I live with my parents. I paid for all my insurance expenses, etc. up front and my only monthly bills are gasoline and cell phone. Not to mention my parents will cover me if I need money, I always pay them back like 1 week later and hardly ever do borrow money.

So in my unique circumstance it is alright and I am affording it... again, I will not pull the trigger until I sign the paperwork (which will be sometime before Christmas) And by then i'll probably have accumulated another 2 grand in the bank.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #26
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
What's wrong with VW's aside from the insurance rates and the fact that German cars are a giant PITA to work on? VW makes really nice cars.
I never really cared for them, I'm open minded and would test ride one, and if I loved it, I would buy it. But it's for sure not my first pick.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Yeah, I was looking at the accords and now I'm considering them even more. Nice leather seats, solid 250hp engine still managers just under 30mpg. Not bad at all.

I mainly just want a manual in general. If I did pick up an 06 accord or miata or what have you and it ends up riding nice and I like it a lot then i'll keep it for years. Although it will be hard to keep it with me having a lot more income in the bank lol.
They're awesome road cars, wish they made an Accord Si, basically a more adult version of the hot little Civic Si. Let it be fun, but a bit classier. Might be approaching the Acura market though, so it will likely not happen. Unless such a thing (or something similar) already exists? I'm unaware of things like this.

Anyhow, maybe you need to work on making your pockets out of flame retardant material if you catch my drift. Why buy a car simply because you have money to burn when you can find something you actually like? The impression I'm getting is that you just want a manual. If that's the case, pick up a junker 1990 civic for $1000, and go beat it up for a weekend, then sell it. meh.

VW's are very solid cars that are a nice balance of functional class inside. Both sides of my family have them and have for a long time.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #28
Roark
ninjette.org sage

If you're willing to spend some more $$$, consider the new Ford Fiesta. Top Gear tested one and they loved it. I didn't believe them until I drove one myself. 6 speed, plenty of power, great MPG, very practical hatchback if you desire.. And mostly, cheaper than a Golf!
Love them!

Old November 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #29
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Back in the day I had one of those MR2's great fun to drive but if you can find luggage space for so much as a brief case you are doing well.
I traded for a Ford Probe.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jX9QklC3G4...ford+probe.jpg
which was a gorgeous car with great handling. but getting too old to buy these days.
If you find a good probe the gas mileage is very good especially the 2 litre which gives 30mpg highway.

Nissan 200sx should fit the bill for you
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #30
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Boring, old man advice:
Keep the car you have for a while. If it's running well, great! If it needs work, fix it. Get your handling/speed jolllies from the bike. (Ditto for the manual transmission).

Since you're getting a promotion, save up for your next car so you can pay cash for it. Get stick shift at that time. By the way, manual transmission sucks if you live in a place with lots of stop & go traffic or big-ass hills with red lights or stop signs on them.

Don't do consumer debt. Buy things when you save up for them. Go into debt only for things that will go up in value over the long haul.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #31
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I don't mind the big ass hills with stop lights: enter Akron, OH. It's the times when you get caught in rush hour on the freeway when there's construction and traffic is constantly varying from 5-29 mph, but never quite comes to a complete stop and there's a big pickup truck with an impatient redneck in it riding your trunklid. That's when driving a stick really gets annoying.

Other than that, the feeling of nailing the 3 pedal dance while on a pleasant back road is fulfilling enough to make driving an automatic a non-possibility for me.

Old November 8th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #32
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Frs is not worth it. Buy a track bike and go to the track more often
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #33
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
FRS is no... whattttt?!?!?!?!?!?!! Little fun car that's neither too expensive nor too tempting. I see nothing wrong, even if it's Miata/ninjette slow.

Back up your claim m'lady!

Old November 8th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #34
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
FRS is no... whattttt?!?!?!?!?!?!! Little fun car that's neither too expensive nor too tempting. I see nothing wrong, even if it's Miata/ninjette slow.

Back up your claim m'lady!
Its not what Scion talks it up to. I think the Accord, or a Subaru might be a better buy for the upgrades. But.... if it was me I would get a track bike or keep the celica a make a few changes.

Old November 8th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #35
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Nissan 200sx should fit the bill for you
Nissan 200sx's are pretty rare around here. I think i'd have better luck with an accord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Don't do consumer debt. Buy things when you save up for them. Go into debt only for things that will go up in value over the long haul.
+1 I never take out loans for things, I wouldn't mind having a car payment, as long as I could have it completely paid off within 3-4 years.

All in all, you're probably right. I'd be better off just enjoying my little celica for a while until I save up around 10 grand and just put that towards a new(er) car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Frs is not worth it. Buy a track bike and go to the track more often
I do agree that the FRS is a bit under powered and over priced... but man oh man, you can't tell me it's not a sexy car.

The first time I sat in one at the dealer I was in love, very cool car, absolutely amazing interior and seats that just hug the crap out of you. Along with user friendly gauges a nice short shifter. Literally everything in the cabin looks like it's made of pure grade A quality.

The exterior is just beautiful looking as well I especially like the red.

Old November 8th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #36
Roark
ninjette.org sage

@Hero Danny, FRS is a good car.. But don't expect it to be Lexus or BMW quality. It's a cheap Toyota at ~25k made for young, American consumers. Don't expect it to be as good as your classic vision of "Toyota quality".

And I know classic Toyota quality..

Old November 8th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #37
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
FRS is a looker, but looks are not everything.
Nissan makes a good competitor.

Old November 8th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
What does Nissan make thats a competitor? The 370Z isn't even the same league of vehicle.

Old November 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #39
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
@Hero Danny, FRS is a good car.. But don't expect it to be Lexus or BMW quality. It's a cheap Toyota at ~25k made for young, American consumers. Don't expect it to be as good as your classic vision of "Toyota quality".

And I know classic Toyota quality..
Hey, I never said it was top notch, but it is a very nice car none the less. I think the build quality is very good, and unlike a BMW it will make it to 200k miles no problem.

Old November 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
+1 I never take out loans for things, I wouldn't mind having a car payment,

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.