ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1
jasonfromca
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 08 Black 250

Get a '09 or wait for a '10?

Hello. I'm taking the MSF classes right now and will probably get my M1 license in a few weeks. I want to get a 250R but I'm not sure whether I should wait until the 2010 models come out which will probably be in the next month(?) or just get a 2009. I haven't called any dealers yet but I imagine they will all want me to buy right now. Anyone have any inside information? I live in the SF Bay area.

thanks
jasonfromca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Do you want to ride now or ride later?
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No guarantees, but it's unlikely that there will be any significant changes between the '09 and '10 model other than colors, if even that. The last generation went almost 20 years before any significant mechanical changes. Far as I can tell, the only difference will be financial. When it comes to selling the bike in a few years, one with a later model year will theoretically be worth a smidge more. But actually, with a ninjette it doesn't really matter that much. Once it's 3+ years old, it seems those with the same mileage keep the same value from 3 - 7 years old anyway.

If you're taking the MSF now, I'd urge you to find a way to get on a bike pretty much immediately afterwards. Every week that goes by afterwards without you practicing what you just learned means those skills are getting more and more stale. My wife didn't get her own bike until about a year after her MSF, and it was pretty much like starting over at that point from square 1. I bought my first bike in between the 1st and 2nd MSF weekends, and it was much easier to immediately start practicing and learning what I needed to know right away.

If it will take a few months for your dream bike to come in, there's nothing stopping you from spending $2K-ish on the next clean pre-gen ninjette that shows up on Craigslist, and selling it for that same $2K if you either want to change it out for a newer ninjette once it's available or even a different bike at that point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #4
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

the 2009's started trickling into the dealers in late Oct 2008 so I wouldn't expect the see the 2010's soon.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #5
JMIrrobali
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): Ninja Ex250 09'

I heard the 10' were going to be FI, in fact, it's a pretty strong rumor.
JMIrrobali is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #6
jasonfromca
ninjette.org member

I guess I'll just get one now then. I had noticed that 08/09 ninjas are selling for about the same price used as new I just didnt want to have them make an important change and miss out. Hopefully they have one in stock.

Thanks

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
When the 10's come out they will probably be hard to find as the 09's were when they first came out. Like Alex said I realy don't think there will be any big changes so you are probably better off getting one while you can and start riding before the season is over.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMIrrobali View Post
There aren't any new emissions regs for 2010 that would mandate them to bring the FI version in, if the carbed version already meets them in 2009. I guess it depends what kind of deal Kawi is getting on the Keihins compared to what it spends on the current FI system for the UK and similer-spec ninjettes.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
^^^^^^FI sure would be nice but i am not holding my breath^^^^^^If the 2010 did come with FI then I will be tading my bike in.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #10
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I would never recommend a new bike to any new rider. Why not look through Craigslist or the classifieds for a pre-08 Ninja? You can probably get a nice used pre-gen Ninja 250 for about $2500...

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
pretty strong rumor?

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #12
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
I would never recommend a new bike to any new rider. Why not look through Craigslist or the classifieds for a pre-08 Ninja? You can probably get a nice used pre-gen Ninja 250 for about $2500...
This is TRUE!! I learned that the hard way (3 drops) with my pretty brand spankin new ninjette. The only problem is......the pre's are fukin hooogly!!

Old July 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #13
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Doubt the '10 would be FI. As alex said if the emission laws havnt changed yet there is really no incentive to change them over. Its not like demand is very low due to them being carb'd.
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
source?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #15
hello?anyone?
ninjette.org newbie

Name: none

Motorcycle(s): none

Hey guys, I'm new here. Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm looking at picking up a used ninja soon. Now I've never owned a bike before, this will be my first, but I've taken MSF etc. Should I give any preference to a specific year's model, or do all models pretty much have the same features? Thanks.
hello?anyone? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #16
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeL View Post
This is TRUE!! I learned that the hard way (3 drops) with my pretty brand spankin new ninjette. The only problem is......the pre's are fukin hooogly!!
You should be a little careful about that please. Some of us, myself included, not only have pregens, but like the way they look. Please don't insult them that powerfully without being sure to note that it's your opinion. I'll respect your opinion, but I don't appreciate the way you said it there. I'm also fairly certain that Alex doesn't appreciate language like that on his forum. Please keep it a bit more clean in the future. Thanks!

On the purpose of this thread, I'd definitely get a used bike! I wouldn't say you have to go the pregen route as the '08s are getting to be fairly cheap depending on where you look, but I'm sure a pregen would be cheaper and more forgiving of newb mistakes when it comes to resell value. Just my

Old July 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #17
Neema12
ninjette.org member

Name: Neema

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

I am a strong believer they will not come out with FI for another few years. And if they do... the price will jump to say the least.

I think you should invest in a 08-09 if you are dead set on the styling and have extra $. By purchasing used you can avoid the costs dealers charge customers and spend that money on mods.

Quote:
I live in the SF Bay area.
Sweet! Me too, specifically SJSU

I just bought a 02' 250 and can't wait to hop on it once I finish my MSF in 2 days. You should take a look at a forum called BARF, aka Bay Area Riders Forum. The forum is a bit wacky but it gives it personality and character. Ride safe and lemme know if ya wanna ride once you get your bike.

Old July 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #18
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
source?
Tomato?

To the OP, I'll be in the same boat as you in a few months (5), and by that time the 2010 model will probably be out -- unless there are drastic changes I'll be sticking with a new 2009 model and hopefully be able to get it a lil' cheaper!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #19
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

I was in the same boat BUT this is what happened to me. I went and sat on a ninjette and could not wait. If you are dead set on waiting then trust me don't even sit on an 08-09.
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #20
liltenatattoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Tena

Motorcycle(s): 2008 blue 250r "KameSane"

get a used '09, they might come out with a different color, but everyone is right, they won't change much to it, probably for another 10 yrs. lol. go cheaper, get something that was never dropped, it's your first bike, you might drop it and then you'll kick yourself for buying it brand new. good luck with the msf course, smart move!!! best of luck with the bike when you get it.
liltenatattoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #21
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

there was also pretty strong rumors (straight from the dealerships themselves) that the 09 would have FI.

either way, i say buy used. always buy used. and use cash. but more importantly, buy used.

buying any vehicle new is a waste of money in a big way. the only advantage you get is a little more piece of mind and that thrill of buying new... and you pay a lot for those two things.

Old July 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #22
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

In this area, a used 09 is only $500 less than a new bike ... check your market area out and see what kind of deals can be had new and used.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #23
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

When the next years model comes out, varies by State i think. Here in Mi. the 09's didnt appear (limited numbers to like 1-2 p/ dealership) until Dec.08

I myself first looked LAST summer in 08. and saw the 08 250R's. feel in love. I then asked if they had any Used 250R's... "Yes heres a 07 out back' I saw it and didnt like the looks, so i solely was looking for a 08, but then once i called around and found out. The 08's were sold out, and salesmen wished me luck in finding any new 08s... at that time!

So i put down a Depo this past Feb.09 , for a 09. I got my Red 09' 250R this April! Its also my first motorcycle. I took my MSF class and passed, back in Oct.08 (long b4 getting my bike). I just wanted a New bike. Peice of mind knowing IM the ONLY one thats ridden it,etc. As far as used and your budget, a Pre-gen (86-07) might be your best bet. As far as getting your feet wet at riding ASAP. Simply put, 86-07's (more so the 00-07's) will likely be ideal for your first bike. As the DEMAND for 08-09 and 10's are on the raise (mostly due to the New looks), you probley can find a Great deal on one of those! If you drop it, crash it... nice to know that its NOT ruining your New pride and joy!

Im not ripping on you Pre-gen owners, just saying IMO i dont care for them (looks wise) Hmmmm if your a handy Mech. and Engineer... i wonder if you could mod the Fairings from a 08-09 onto a Pre-gen?
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #24
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

if you don't mind waiting + saving cash, buy used and out of season.. winter. they're most likely to be cheaper then
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM   #25
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post

Im not ripping on you Pre-gen owners, just saying IMO i dont care for them (looks wise) Hmmmm if your a handy Mech. and Engineer... i wonder if you could mod the Fairings from a 08-09 onto a Pre-gen?
OMG he dissed the pre-gens!

Old July 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM   #26
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

OKOKOK The dealer here on Oahu also heard that 09 might get a F/I system, so that would work out for ya. If it did (most likely wont) every one and their mom will be clamering to get one i am sure driving down costs of a new/slightly usedque 250. But I mean it isnt like a F/I system will produce more hp or torque and it will require a lot more effort to add power through the power curve. The fact is most bikes are not like cars with sensors that you cna rechip an ecu and have the car dump more gas to add to the increase flow from adding bolt ons. BUT carbs allow you to rigg a device using 3.00 washers and elbow grease taht allow you to do that exact thing. Just food for thought, not to mention the added mant that comes with cleaning injectors and the possibility that more mechanical parts could fail.

This is all moot because at the end it is very unlikely we will get a F/I ninjette for '10. Just get a used 08 for 3200 keep the bike for a year and learn to ride. Trust me I just got mine and have been riding it since Sun. and THANK GOD the throttle is as forgiving as it is.
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by istreefitty View Post
The fact is most bikes are not like cars with sensors that you cna rechip an ecu and have the car dump more gas to add to the increase flow from adding bolt ons.
That's pretty much exactly what a PowerCommander does for a FI bike. But you're right, adding a PC alone doesn't do much if there aren't other changes already (free-er flowing intake, exhaust, cams, ported/polished valves, etc.)

Old July 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM   #28
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i haven't looked into it much, but my guess the only difference with FI is easier cold start and maybe a slightly smoother throttle responce... which doesn't really matter since the throttle is already pretty smooth (properly jetted and warmed up) and the 250 doesn't make enough power for a jerky throttle to be a problem. especially on the street.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:21 AM   #29
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I would wait a little. NOTHING is selling. If you wait a bit, you might be able to get a good deal on a new 09 after the 2010 hits the dealeships. My local dealership has 3 2009 sitting on the floor right now. They have been there for 3 weeks.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:44 AM   #30
jasonfromca
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema12 View Post
I just bought a 02' 250 and can't wait to hop on it once I finish my MSF in 2 days. You should take a look at a forum called BARF, aka Bay Area Riders Forum. The forum is a bit wacky but it gives it personality and character. Ride safe and lemme know if ya wanna ride once you get your bike.
How did you buy the bike before you had a license? Did you get a learners permit? I don't want to have to go the DMV twice. I called a dealer in Redwood city and they had 2 bikes but neither were black. I'm going to call around today and see if anyone else has a black one. I'm dead set on an 08 or 09. I just don't see how I'm supposed to get it home before I even finish the MSF classes and get the M1 license from the DMV.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #31
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Jason - a friend with a pick-up truck, or even rent a u-haul... 3 guys can easily lift it into the bed.... Heck, around here we can rent a truck from Home Depot for $20....

Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM   #32
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfromca View Post
How did you buy the bike before you had a license? Did you get a learners permit? I don't want to have to go the DMV twice. I called a dealer in Redwood city and they had 2 bikes but neither were black. I'm going to call around today and see if anyone else has a black one. I'm dead set on an 08 or 09. I just don't see how I'm supposed to get it home before I even finish the MSF classes and get the M1 license from the DMV.
Drive it?

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfromca View Post
Did you get a learners permit? I don't want to have to go the DMV twice.
I got a permit a few days before taking the MSF, then just needed to send in the MSF form afterwards to have them send a new license with the M1 on it. You do need to be there in person to get the permit, and take that silly 10 minute written test.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #34
JMIrrobali
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): Ninja Ex250 09'

Quote:
source?
Sorry, was outta town. A friend of mine just recently looked into buying an 09' 250. We both talked to 3 dealerships who all confirmed that the 2010 model 250 would indeed come with the FI, whether or not they are BSing/making speculations is beyond me, but like I said, 3 seperate dealerships confirmed.

Santa Teresa Motorsports - Santa Teresa, NM
Kawasaki Edge - El Paso, TX
Las Cruces Motorsports - Las Cruces, NM
JMIrrobali is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM   #35
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Sorry, was outta town. A friend of mine just recently looked into buying an 09' 250. We both talked to 3 dealerships who all confirmed that the 2010 model 250 would indeed come with the FI, whether or not they are BSing/making speculations is beyond me, but like I said, 3 seperate dealerships confirmed.

Santa Teresa Motorsports - Santa Teresa, NM
Kawasaki Edge - El Paso, TX
Las Cruces Motorsports - Las Cruces, NM
Really?!?!? Well that's like a gigantic middle finger to everyone who bought an '08/'09 model

I smell early model new gens flooding the used bike market soon, if this is the case.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM   #36
kkim

Thanks, Jared... I guess we'll just have to wait and see, though dealers usually don't know what's happening beyond their cash registers. For 3 of them to say the same thing is sort of curious, though.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #37
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Thanks, Jared... I guess we'll just have to wait and see, though dealers usually don't know what's happening beyond their cash registers. For 3 of them to say the same thing is sort of curious, though.
I wish the hell they would make it FI so people would stop speculating. How many times have we heard this now Kelly? Remember all the dealers that were telling people the same thing a year ago? Dealers don't know what Kawasaki is going to do any more than anyone else does. In fact, they probably know less. If we haven't learned that by now we never will.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #38
kkim

well, I do know that in the company I work for, we're the last to know when stuff affects us.

yep, the hot rumour from the dealers last year was that they were short cycling the 08s cause they were going to have FI on the 09s. instead all they did was raise the price.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #39
backinthesaddleagain

Most dealers don't know about the next year bikes until they see them at the dealer expo.

To be honest my carbureted ninja causes me no grief. A couple minutes of choke on a cold day. Maybe because I rode mine all winter (and had stabil in it just to be safe) I didn't have any carburetion problems. I would have no interest in getting rid of my '09 if they only add FI.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #40
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
You should be a little careful about that please. Some of us, myself included, not only have pregens, but like the way they look. Please don't insult them that powerfully without being sure to note that it's your opinion. I'll respect your opinion, but I don't appreciate the way you said it there. I'm also fairly certain that Alex doesn't appreciate language like that on his forum. Please keep it a bit more clean in the future. Thanks!

On the purpose of this thread, I'd definitely get a used bike! I wouldn't say you have to go the pregen route as the '08s are getting to be fairly cheap depending on where you look, but I'm sure a pregen would be cheaper and more forgiving of newb mistakes when it comes to resell value. Just my
I am always on the lookout for a Pre-Jen. I like the way they look and would scarf up one if the price was right. I think that a black and yellow Pre-Gen with a black and yellow JAWA sidecar would be absolutely bitchin.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote