ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 24th, 2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Corysninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: cory

Motorcycle(s): 2009 kawasaki ninja 250

No neutral light and not cranking

so I own a 2009 ninja 250 and I recently took the carburetor out and cleaned it and put everything back together. I am now having an issue of the bike not starting. It does not even crank over. The neutral light is not coming on as well. Everything else works brake lights and blinker etc. I've checked all the fuses and battery wires. Everything is all good as far as that goes. I know the bike is in neutral because I can roll it around without the clutch in. The only way I can get it started is when I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. I have looked online and its telling me the problem could be caused by a bad neutral safety switch but I have no idea where that is located at on my bike.

Any and all help would be very appreciated. Trying to get the last few rides in before it gets too cold! Thank you!!
Corysninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2020, 12:56 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi Cory and welcome to Ninjette!!!

When removing & reinstalling carbs, did you do anything with wiring? Moved anything? Disconnected anything? Could be as simple as neutral-switch being disconnected. Connector is on left side of bike under sprocket-cover. It's critical for starting, regardless of actual transmission position. You can be in 5th-gear and bike will still start if neutral-light is on. Now, let's figure out why neutral-light is not on:

1. First, test neutral-light by shifting into 1st and back to neutral. Verify bike can't move in 1st. Then put it into neutral. Do you see any flicker of neutral light?

2. Next, measure voltage of battery with bike off. Every electrical troubleshooting should start with measuring battery. What is battery voltage?

3. Pull off sprocket cover. Is neutral switch wire plugged into neutral switch?

4. With bike in neutral, measure resistance between chassis-ground (battery-negative) and neutral-switch terminal. How many ohms do you measure?

5. unplug wire from neutral-switch. Measure resistance between neutral-switch wire-terminal and light-green wire on instrument-cluster side of cluster connector. How many ohms do you measure?

6. Measure resistance between neutral-switch wire-terminal and yellow/green wire going into starter-circuit relay (don't get mixed up with headlight relay, they look same). Since there's some diodes in between, you'll want to test both ways, with red-probe on neutral-terminal and then with black-probe on terminal. You'll get open-circuit/infinite-ohms one way and low-ohms in other way. How many ohms did you measure this other way?

These tests narrow down issue to either neutral-switch itself, or wiring connecting it to various components.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Corysninja
ninjette.org newbie

I unhooked the battery and the fuel lines moved the air filter case back and pulled the carburetor out cleaned it then put it all back together. I got it to randomly start without jumping the solenoid and I left off the clutch to see the bike was in neutral and it was rolling back and forth i let it run for a little and then tried putting the kickstand down while it was in neutral (light still not showing) and the bike died and didn't start back up

Old September 24th, 2020, 01:27 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Well, kickstand switch is working correctly.

Go through above tests for neutral switch. That's easiest and fastest way to fix this (5-10 min). Each piece of data you collect gets you closer and closer to fixing issue.

There was one recent case where neutral-switch wire was flopping around and it got cut by chain!

Old September 24th, 2020, 01:34 PM   #5
Corysninja
ninjette.org newbie

I took the shifter off and took the cover to the front sprocket off only to find the neutral switch not even hooked up. I guess when I pulled the air filter case back it pulled the sensor off and I didn't realize it. Needless to say I plugged it back in and turned the key and light came on and it fired right up! Really appreciate the help!

75 degrees out and I can take it for a ride now and enjoy the day!!! Safe riding!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 24th, 2020, 01:35 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

You're welcome! Woohoo!!!! Good job!!!!

Have fun ride!!!