ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

"thunk" when braking hard?

So sometimes, when I'm braking a little harder than normal (or, say, making an emergency stop) I feel like something on the bike clicks funny under me. It's hard for me to describe. There's a minor vibration, as if I clicked down a gear, even though my foot's on the peg and nowhere near the shifter. Has anyone ever felt this before??

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

It's probably your steering stem nuts.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ing+stem+loose
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
So sometimes, when I'm braking a little harder than normal (or, say, making an emergency stop) I feel like something on the bike clicks funny under me. It's hard for me to describe. There's a minor vibration, as if I clicked down a gear, even though my foot's on the peg and nowhere near the shifter. Has anyone ever felt this before??
happens to me when I purposely brake super hard, but it sounds and feels like it's coming from the forks or something for me.

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #4
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

have you ever locked up your tires(too much brake) if so pls compare to a lock up

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #5
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Yeah... I've gotten this before... I don't think I get it so much though anymore after a friend tightened my steering stem. But then I also get a similar thunk as if a gear changed and heck I'm pretty sure a gear changes some times.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #6
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

@cuz I'm more and more familiar (urgh) with the rear tire lockup, and it's nothing like that... When i lock up, it's a smooth sliding sensation. with this, though, it's almost like the little gnomes that make my engine work dropped something. (I know, I know. I'll dumb down the technical-speak to make it easier for y'all to understand )

@[everyone else] never would have guessed the steering stem.... I'll check out the related threads. as always, thanks for the quick and helpful input!

Old October 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I have the same thing happen. I never would've thought the steering stem. I'll have to check that out.
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it sounds like its the usual suspect, the stem nut (the one under the top triple) but i can also mean your fork internals are completely f***ed. you would hear lots of other fun crunching noises when you compressed your forks if that was the case though. certain configurations of brakes rotate around the axle when the suspension is compressed (almost exclusively rear brakes...) and if there is damage on the mounting point of the brake mount it can make horrible noises on heavy compression