ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 6th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #1
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

motorcycle action videos

I would like to start recording some rides. I am interested in showing my speed with the video. Anyone have experience over laying speed data onto videos?
If I could mount my phone and use it as a speedo to have an accurate speed read out and have both the phone and camera mounted in the right way so that the phone display was at the bottom of the view of the go pro camera or whatever that would work but I would rather just record a high quality video and then over lay gps data. Any suggestions on hardware, software and mounting techniques is greatly appreciated.
atomicrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrm View Post
I would like to start recording some rides. I am interested in showing my speed with the video. Anyone have experience over laying speed data onto videos?
If I could mount my phone and use it as a speedo to have an accurate speed read out and have both the phone and camera mounted in the right way so that the phone display was at the bottom of the view of the go pro camera or whatever that would work but I would rather just record a high quality video and then over lay gps data. Any suggestions on hardware, software and mounting techniques is greatly appreciated.
I've heard of data-logging DVR software for smartphones with various presentation options for the GPS data.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I like using two cameras

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Alright i think what i will do is use a go pro to record and a data logger on my phone and then overlay the gps data onto the video. I saw somewhere a guy had his go pro with the mount mounted to the gas tank via the screws that hold the cap on. anyone familiar with that? what do you recommend as the best way to mount the go pro for just a simple forward facing view? can the suction cup be trusted?
atomicrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrm View Post
Alright i think what i will do is use a go pro to record and a data logger on my phone and then overlay the gps data onto the video. I saw somewhere a guy had his go pro with the mount mounted to the gas tank via the screws that hold the cap on. anyone familiar with that? what do you recommend as the best way to mount the go pro for just a simple forward facing view? can the suction cup be trusted?
Use the mounts that come with it
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #6
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

Adobe CS5 or higher, handles the newer video codecs well and once your used to it very easy to setup.

Just create a sync point (visual or sound) with any two camera's (fps must be the same, doesn't have to be but it's a pain in the arse to re-sync all the time) and overlaying the speed will be easy. I run four camera's when video'ing from my bike. Example of an overlay I use in CS5 below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8rHb...4&feature=plcp

Side note, not recommended to show the speed as you lose plausible denibility with the po po.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #7
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Just today (out of boredom) I mounted a camera to a MX chest protector that my kids use. The height / angle was just perfect to catch the speedometer with a perfect view of the road. My bike has a LCD speedo so it's really easy to read on the video. I'm thinking about taping over the mic hole b/c the wind noise just saturated the mic. It would be nice to have some auditory cues when the bike is acceleration.