ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 12th, 2018, 02:47 PM   #1
rustyshackelford
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Bike dying while riding

So I am still relatively new to motorcycles and need help diagnosing an issue:

background: bought the bike last year (2007 model) after a no-issue test drive. It started having issues as soon as I got it home due to (what I think) sitting for a year with ethanol gas in the tank. I replaced the the fuel petcock and carb float pins and cleaned the carbs and that solved the issue.

It ran fine for a while this year until a a few weeks ago when I had been riding for 30 minutes and came to a stop and when I went to pull out it stalled (choke was completely off at this point). I restarted it and went on my way but withing a minute whenever I would give it gas it would start to stall again until it finally cut out .

After 15 to 30 minutes I was able to get it started again and it ran fine for 15 minutes until I got home

It ran fine a few days later on my normal 45 minute ride.

A few days after that I was going for a ride and only made it 10 minutes before it started to sputter and stalled as I gave it more gas. I was able to get it home by putting it at half choke and it seemed to run okay although it was idling high

Any ideas?

It seems weird to me that giving it gas at the throttle makes it stall but giving it gas at the choke helps.
rustyshackelford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2018, 06:11 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Do you have fuel-filter between tank and carbs?

Pull carbs and inspect float-bowls really carefully. I've found all sorts of debris that cause exact same symptoms as you. Works for a while, then floating debris gets sucked up and clogs end of main-jet. Let sit for while, debris falls off and bike runs fine for awhile. Until debris is sucked up yet again.

I found this critter in one of my pre-gen carbs...

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:32 PM   #3
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Check battery terminal connections. I had the same symptoms. Fixed it with two turns with a phillips head screwdriver.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2018, 04:52 AM   #4
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

i second the vote for trash in the carbs. gets sucked into a jet, then when the fuel is not flowing through the jet later, it falls back off. bike runs good, then gets clogged again.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2018, 06:21 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshackelford View Post
It seems weird to me that giving it gas at the throttle makes it stall but giving it gas at the choke helps.
If we assume you have something restricting fuel flow, when you use the enricher lever, you're adding quite a bit of fuel to the mixture and not much air, making up for the clog. When you open the throttle, you're adding air only, since the fuel flow is blocked, and that makes it to go lean and stall.

The cause of the lack of fuel could be what DannoXYZ suggested, or a petcock that's not flowing fuel, or a blocked tank vent, etc.. Your symptoms are pretty typical of a blocked tank vent, and you can check this by opening the filler cap when it stalls, and see if you hear the whoosh of air entering the tank, followed by a properly running engine.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 17th, 2018, 12:53 PM   #6
rustyshackelford
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The weather where I'm at has been pretty lousy due to the storm but as soon as I get a good day I'll going to start with the easy stuff and work my way up. I'll report back as soon hopefully.
rustyshackelford is offline   Reply With Quote