ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1
kkim

Wahhhh!!! My Bike Won't Start/Run/Idle... Can Someone Help!!???

Hi guys... I haven't used my bike for a few months and now it won't idle if I turn off the choke. How can I fix this???? Can someone help me???... PLEEEEZE??!!

How many times have we read this on the forum? If the bike was running fine the last time you rode it and it's been a few months since then, the gas in the carbs may be the problem and could be gumming up your jets.

There are a few remedies such as a fuel cleaner/additive (seafoam, berryman's) that you might be able to get by with that will clean the clogged jets, if you're lucky, but if not, removing the carbs and cleaning out the jets is the only way to be 100% sure your jets are clean and crud free.

I haven't ridden the Ninja since last May and knew the jets were clogged. The bike would idle rough when started with the choke and when I turned off the choke, the bike idled really rough and no amount of playing with the idle speed knob would give me a nice steady idle once the bike was warmed up.

So, today I decided to clean my carbs.

This is how I did mine... your procedure may vary, but ultimately you want to get to the inside of the carbs, remove the pilot jets and clean them out.

First step, put the bike up on a rear stand...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9810

Next, remove the bodywork...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9933

and then the gas tank...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10191

then, remove the carbs...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44330

At this point your bike should look like this...

parts removed and safely tucked away in a corner...

Find a clean working area and flip the carbs upside down and remove the float bowls. I use a JIS screwdriver on these screws and have no problems with stripped out screws. I highly recommend you purchase a set if you work on your bike a lot.

The pilot jets are in these "towers" at the bottom of the carb. Use a suitable screwdriver that fit the jets well as they are made of brass and deform easily if you use a loose fitting screwdriver blade.

once removed, this is what the pilot jets look like...

Sorry for the blurry pics, but I was trying to show that my pilot jets were blocked solid. If you hold them up to the light, you should be able to see a perfectly round hole when looking through the jet. As you can see, no light is visible in this jet.

Blast through the jet with compressed air with a nozzle attachment...

and the result after blasting it with compressed air... as you can see, there's light coming through the jet now. When clean, you should be able to see a nice round hole of light. The pilot jet hole is very small, so they tend to clog up very easily, which leads to hard starting.

I checked the main jets just because I was in there. Again, use a suitable size screwdriver to remove the main jets.

Main jets required no cleaning...

Reinstall the main jets, pilot jets and carb bowls.

Reinstall the carbs, air filter and gas tank and start bike up to check your work. If bike runs to your satisfaction, put the bodywork back on.

Hope this helps some of you when you go to start your bike after it's winter hibernation. If you didn't prep your bike before putting it away for winter, I can almost guaranty you'll be doing this jet cleaning come spring time.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Nice work! Linked from the DIY sticky...

(Sitting since May? )

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #3
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

(Sitting since May? )
yeah, I know.

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #4
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Nice work, The DIY master returns. So are you going to use it now lol?

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #5
kkim

I'm hoping to get the 250R running 100%, then revisit jetting. The bike ran fine before, but I've learned a great deal on optimizing jetting when I was working on the the 4 stroke, street legal dirt bike. Hope to transfer the knowledge to the Ninja.

my dirt riding partner is out with a reoccurring back injury and it doesn't seem like he's going to heal up anytime soon, so the interest is back to the street bikes for now.

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

you could always convert the 250 into a dirt bike lol. Hope your friend feels better soon

Last futzed with by 00NissanNinja; February 5th, 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Old February 5th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #7
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

This is whats wrong with mine. I dont feel right doing mechanic work so just gonna take it to the shop and get this done along with the 4k mile maint.

Prolly then gonna trade it in on a fuel injected bike and not worry about this again. Why did my trusty ninjette have to be carbbed ????? lol
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
you could always convert the 250 into a dirt bike
ummm, take a look at the first pic in this thread. I don't need another dirt bike... or so the wife says.

Old February 5th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #9
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
ummm, take a look at the first pic in this thread. I don't need another dirt bike... or so the wife says.
I was going to ask you what you do with all those bikes. I only have the Ninja and I already find that I can never get out on it as much as I'd like to. Cant imagine devoting enough of my time to any of those bikes if I had so many. On average, how much time do you spend on each bike? Or should I say how much time does each bike stay sitting around? Your choice.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #10
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:
my dirt riding partner is out with a reoccurring back injury and it doesn't seem like he's going to heal up anytime soon, so the interest is back to the street bikes for now.
Perhaps you need a new friend? I think I could figure out a way to get to Hawaii and help you ride some of your bikes. I mean, it would be like a favor. You know, what are friends for if they don't help you out in a time of need?
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #11
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Oh yes I saw your league of bikes before a long time ago. I even asked why you have so many, you have quite the collection. I wouldn't know what to do with that many bikes.

Old February 5th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #12
kkim

Every bike, street or dirt, has it's strengths and weaknesses.

It may look like I have too many dirt bikes, but each serves it's own purpose when applied to the conditions that play to it's strengths. I'm fortunate to have a wife that looks the other way when another motorcycle follows me home.

Being retired, () I get some additional weekday riding time while others are stuck at their full time jobs. That allows me a lot of time to go exploring and to put the bikes to good use.

The ninja has been parked for the last year or so, due to my growing interest in offroad riding, plus the fact that my street riding partner seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #13
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

too bad your not here or us there...would like to ride some offroad again..

great DIY..gonna have to read through all of yers when the jet kit arrives.
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #14
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Please come do mine next.

Old March 18th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #15
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I haven't ridden my ninja since march 5th and it isn't starting. Can the jets become clogged that quickly or can it be something else? Battery is good and plugs changed about 4k miles ago. Thanks!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #16
kkim

highly unlikely that it would go bad in just a couple of weeks... not saying it's impossible, but highly unlikely.

try putting the petcock to prime and see if the bike starts. don't forget to put it back to on once the bike is running.

are you using the choke in the vid?

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #17
Cuongism

Yup, tried with choke on full. I turned the petcock to prime and tried starting with no luck. Do I have to have it on prime for awhile before trying though? I pretty much just turned it, tried starting, and then turned it back to On.

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #18
kkim

you can just leave it on prime until you can get the bike started... it won't hurt anything. just be sure to turn it back to on after you get the bike started.

did you try clearing the engine by cranking with the throttle WFO and then try your starting drill again? Turn the choke off when you crank at WFO.

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #19
Cuongism

Ahhh, had my choke on when I tried WFO. Exhaust backfired but didn't start. Will try in the AM and let you know how it goes. Thanks again Kelly!

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #20
kkim

backfire is good... at least you know you're getting spark. all that's left is getting the air fuel mixture at the correct ratio to light the mixture.

cleaning the bike out with WFO and no choke (it may be flooded), starts you off in a lean condition. by doing that and then trying your starting routine, you are going from a lean to rich mixture. most times, as the mixture crosses from too lean to rich, the bike will fire and start up.

hope it works.

Old March 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #21
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
I haven't ridden my ninja since march 5th and it isn't starting. Can the jets become clogged that quickly or can it be something else? Battery is good and plugs changed about 4k miles ago. Thanks!
I agree with Kelly that its highly improbable unless your jets were gummed up before. How was the bike running when you parked it? The jets on these things are tiny but at the very least I would think it would try to start if they were slightly gummed (only been 2 weeks). In your vid your bike doesn't even make an attempt...Engine needs compression, spark (at the right time), and correct air/fuel mixture. Spark sounds like its there (backfire), I assume you have good compression....clogged petcock/inline fuel filter (if you have one)?
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #22
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Wow Kelly, you're a God-send my friend (and I cracked up at the title also)!

It's been forever since I've posted (kind of a long story), and I haven't ridden in such a long time. But the urge to ride took me to the garage to fire it up last night, but she had the common symptom: bike's been sitting and only running while choke fully open.

Came to the boards, and my first post in a year was pretty much going to be "Wahhhh, my bike's been sitting and now it won't idle!"

Thank you Kelly for your (never ending) diligence and patience w/ peeps like me! Can't believe that after a year you guys are still going at this as strongly as ever. Glad to be back and can't wait to catch up with some of y'all!

-Tony
xTKx

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #23
kkim

welcome back, Tony!

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #24
Cuongism

Thanks again Kelly, got it to start today. Had to play with the idle knob as well (clockwise helped). Now that I got the engine running, going to get some HID bulbs since they're both out.

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #25
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Thanks again Kelly, got it to start today. Had to play with the idle knob as well (clockwise helped). Now that I got the engine running, going to get some HID bulbs since they're both out.
Great! Is it running just as well as it did prior to this hard starting incident? I would recommend you add some seafoam to you gas for a few tanks and ride the bike to clean out the fuel system just in case this hard starting incident was caused by "dirty" gas. Any time I need to reset the idle speed with that knob after it's been set and steady for a long period of time, I get suspicious that something has changed.

both HID bulbs went out at the same time? Problems with the electrical system?

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #26
Cuongism

I actually crashed a couple of weeks ago (pics in the Julian meet thread). I actually didn't ride the bike since it's naked at the moment. I'm trying to figure out if the bulbs are bad or it's something electrical so needed the bike to be able to start first. I added some seafoam yesterday when it wasn't starting.

I'll also start a new thread so I'm not hijacking yours with all the different things I'm trying to figure out. Thanks again!

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #27
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

I purchased my bike used and it starts just fine but when I try to give it some throttle while it's in neutral it pretty much dies immediately. After some searching it seems like cleaning the carbs was the most recommended solution for this problem, but the bike only has 1100 miles on it and the dealer claimed that the previous owner had brought it in a couple of days before I purchased it which has me worried.

Anyways, this is the first thing I was going to try to do once I get all my tools but for actually cleaning out the jets, would something like this have enough oomph to clean out the jets?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFIQ8wIwAQ

Or would I need something more heavy duty?

Thanks.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #28
kkim

never used dust off so I can't say if it's strong enough or not, but if you don't have compressed air from a compressor, you might want to try some carb cleaner to shoot out the jets. be careful not to get any in your eyes or face... ask me how I know.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:00 PM   #29
Bushmaster11B
Bushmaster11B

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R "Limited Edition" w/ Metallic, Pearl Essent, Candy Coat 3 Tone Paint Job

Quote:
never used dust off so I can't say if it's strong enough or not, but if you don't have compressed air from a compressor, you might want to try some carb cleaner to shoot out the jets. be careful not to get any in your eyes or face... ask me how I know.

I did that one today. B-12 hurts. BTW KKIM, I just did everything you originally posted today and I still have the problem. It runs now, but not after I shut off the choke and it dies when I roll the throttle even a hair. Everything is clean and clear. I used every picture you found or provided for carbs and cleaning them. I'm frustrated and now it's the 4th of July without a bike

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:04 PM   #30
kkim

sorry, take the carbs back out and reinspect/clean. sounds like you pilot circuits are still gunked up.

have you checked the air box for critters?

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #31
Bushmaster11B
Bushmaster11B

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R "Limited Edition" w/ Metallic, Pearl Essent, Candy Coat 3 Tone Paint Job

Quote:
sorry, take the carbs back out and reinspect/clean. sounds like you pilot circuits are still gunked up.

have you checked the air box for critters?
I just did this repair and can safely say don't forget about that other brass insert passage way right by the pilot and main jets on the towers. You may have to use a small straightened out spring or some wire to punch through it. My bike sat for a year with gelled fuel and an air compressor nor carb cleaner would blast through it. Now if I just could get mine to respond right.

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #32
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Bike wasn't holding a constant idle this weekend so I had to mess with it. I found that the right side carb idle mixture screw had no affect when turning it. I removed the carbs and when I took the bowl off, there was a winged vermin in there! I didn't find the pilot jet to be clogged or anything but I went ahead and gave everything a good cleaning and now it idles like a champ. I think it's a gnat! I wonder if he got pulled up into the pilot jet Guess I need to get me an inline filter. I was gonna take a picture of the bug but I lost it while I was cleaning stuff.

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #33
kkim

wow... I wonder how he got in there??? maybe through the vent line that runs up top, between the carbs? I have no idea how that line that connects to the inner workings of the carbs, but that's all I can think of. highly unlikely he made his way down the fuel line system. there are 2 filters between the tank and the carbs.

Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM   #34
paopufruit
ninjette.org member

Name: alex

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

oh deary dear

well..not sure whats going on but for some reason my ninja is deciding to make random whining noises at me. can anyone help explain why these are happening? for note, i have made no modifications yet as i have not had time :P
paopufruit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:38 PM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by paopufruit View Post
well..not sure whats going on but for some reason my ninja is deciding to make random whining noises at me.
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Tank_whistling

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:36 AM   #36
paopufruit
ninjette.org member

Name: alex

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

thanks muchly sir, that makes me feel so much better now that i know its not gunna explode on me or anything
paopufruit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #37
San_Miguel
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Daytona 675 and 2009 Ninja 250r (wifes)

Angry

So i am having the same starting issue with my wife's 250r after improper storage (completely my fault). Will only run with the choke fully on.
After i removed the carbs i took them to the Kawi dealership to be cleaned and set up properly. Involved drilling out something? No jet kit

Anyway, i reinstalled the carbs and the bike still will only run with the choke on but now its a real struggle to even get it started. As soon as i touch the throttle the bike dies. If i even look at the choke lever wrong the bike dies or will not start. Its now puffing brown smoke out the exhaust which it never did before as well.

HELP, before i have to call the dealer to pick it up. I go back to Afghanistan in 25 days so i really want to get this fixed.
San_Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #38
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

why can't I see any of the pictures in any of the DIY ?

Old August 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Not sure. I'll look into it.

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #40
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big mike View Post
why can't I see any of the pictures in any of the DIY ?
Let me know if you need help with a certain process.
I can get pictures for you.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote