ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Front Race Tech Emulator installed

Forgive the copy/paste from my post elsewhere, I saw a question about springs and figured I'd ad this info...

I got the Emulators installed. Took all of a lazy hour.

I decided to start off with them at a base starting point of yellow springs, 3 turns preload, stock damper rods (no drilling) and stock oil levels.

My reasoning was that I prefer stiffer suspension, you can't easily make the damper rod holes smaller after you drill them. If I need more oil flow, they come apart and I'll drill 2 holes per leg till I get what I want.

So, off with the brake, the wheel, the fender, out come the fork tubes.

Next, compress the center of the top fork caps and pop out the C clips. Remove the cap, the spacer, the washer and the spring in that order. If you go slow removing the springs you don't lose any oil.

I cut the preload spacers 16mm to match the overall height with the emulator under the spring and cleaned them up. I dropped the Emulator in the tube, spring on that, washer, preload spacer and finally the cap, compressed it in the tube and seat the C clip back in the groove.

The test ride went well. The forks no longer bottom on hard braking. They seem to actually match the firmness of where I have my GSXR shock set. Bumps transmit thru the bike with the same effect, firm and controlled. I tried to hit as many hard, sharp bumps as I could. I can't get them to give me the hammering lock up they had before. I'm guessing they stay up higher with true damping control and don't move as much towards full blown bottoming, which was pretty regular for me.

I'm thinking they are about 50% to where they would be ideal, only because it is snowing and I can't hit the really nasty braking bumps in the mountains. If they deal with that, I might not do much more. As far as I can test them today, they are right on the $. I'll reserve final judgment for a good thrashing road to see if the complete transformation has been achieved.

Totally worth the price of admission, and if I need to tune them further there are quite a few options at my disposal. Different springs to open the valves, and different preload on both sets of springs along with any combo of those adjustments per fork leg. Also more/less spring preload, 12 different holes to open up on each damper rod, and oil levels along with different spring rates, which as of now I am happy with.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #2
old3
ninjette.org sage

Extra note, we just had another few days of storms so it'll be Monday before I can hope to kinda thrash test the suspension, if the 50f days they predict actually happen. So far it feels more composed and doesn't use as much travel as it did. The hydro locking I feel I was having hasn't reappeared but I have yet to really get it in that environment, repeated sharp small hits. High speed repeating compressions that it just couldn't deal with.

Old March 8th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
ahamay
ninjette.org member

Name: Non-ya

Motorcycle(s): Tree Hundred

Thanks old3! I just placed my order for springs, emulator, and fresh oil. Hope it gives me the confidence I want when trying to hammer down on the bike.
ahamay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #4
old3
ninjette.org sage

You bet. I figured trying the "drop em in and see" method would be a good base level experiment, so far they are much better. It is amazing how little Kawi could have done to make this bike so much better.

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
old3
ninjette.org sage

I've got some miles on these now and really can't complain. The warm pavement has eluded me so far, but the nasty, broken NJ and NY roads are delivering the cracks, bumps and holes in great numbers. My forks are controlled, take the hits and we move on. No drama. Unless summer tire temps bring something else out, they stay as installed.

Old March 31st, 2013, 12:11 PM   #6
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Are these the same as on the 250?

Old March 31st, 2013, 12:24 PM   #7
old3
ninjette.org sage

Yes.

Old March 31st, 2013, 12:26 PM   #8
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Name: andy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 faster red

good to know! (i am a bit lazy to drill the dampening rod ;p)
andylawcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 03:22 PM   #9
ahamay
ninjette.org member

Installed mine yesterday. Drilled the damper rod as instructed and added a touch of oil over stock. Haven't gone out for a real ride yet but my quick spin around the block says the front is uber stiff now. Might actually drain out a bit of oil and shorten the pre-load spacer a tad more. Gonna make that decision after a few canyon runs.

Old March 31st, 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylawcc View Post
good to know! (i am a bit lazy to drill the dampening rod ;p)
So far no complaints. Rides firm but controlled.

Old March 31st, 2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Honestly, after looking at the explanation of how the emulators work, it appears that without drilling the holes the system is the equivalent of stock with a higher viscosity fork oil. The variable flow rate valve gives no advantage without the extra holes- its just another restriction for the oil to flow through.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 31st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #12
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Honestly, after looking at the explanation of how the emulators work, it appears that without drilling the holes the system is the equivalent of stock with a higher viscosity fork oil. The variable flow rate valve gives no advantage without the extra holes- its just another restriction for the oil to flow through.
There is NO POINT to the emulators if you aren't drilling the dampening rods. The whole point of the emulators is to remove the dampening function from the original rods and shifting it to the emulators. If your rods are still doing the dampening, there is nothing for the emulators to do. I suggest you get in touch with race tech about this.

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13
old3
ninjette.org sage

I disagree, the stock damper holes are a poor form of damping and they offered nearly zero on slow speed compression. Now it hits the valve and is correctly damped. I don't think I rode a single mile without bottoming the forks stock, and nearly every time I stopped hard they were blown thru.

If I require more flow to the valves, I can drill any combo of holes I want.

In high speed damping, I believe they were packing, or basically locking up as they couldn't flow enough as they moved so much on every strike. Now they stay up higher and I haven't had them stutter yet, but again, the road temps are only up to 50f at best right now so I'm not slamming the corners where I had this issue quite as hard.

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #14
HotRedTurbo
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesus

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2003 GSX R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
There is NO POINT to the emulators if you aren't drilling the dampening rods. The whole point of the emulators is to remove the dampening function from the original rods and shifting it to the emulators. If your rods are still doing the dampening, there is nothing for the emulators to do. I suggest you get in touch with race tech about this.
A "what he said" on my behalf as well. I thought along the same lines as you but as proven on the race track, it doesn't work. My friend and I both tried it without drilling the holes to see if we can get away with it and chatter was a big issue. A good conversation with Racetech and a thread on the forum convinced us that it WAS necessary to drill the holes if you wanted to use the emulators for what they were designed for. Otherwise, all they're doing is taking up space in your forks rising the springs up closer to the preloader spacers.
HotRedTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #15
old3
ninjette.org sage

Maybe on a track, on a race tire, I could find a fault as they are installed. On sticky street tires at a 8-9/10ths pace on real roads it works great for my 210lbs frame. Everything I complained about is resolved.

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #16
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Pics or GTFO
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #17
old3
ninjette.org sage

Pics of what???

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #18
Lychee
sail away

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
I disagree, the stock damper holes are a poor form of damping and they offered nearly zero on slow speed compression. Now it hits the valve and is correctly damped. I don't think I rode a single mile without bottoming the forks stock, and nearly every time I stopped hard they were blown thru.

If I require more flow to the valves, I can drill any combo of holes I want.

In high speed damping, I believe they were packing, or basically locking up as they couldn't flow enough as they moved so much on every strike. Now they stay up higher and I haven't had them stutter yet, but again, the road temps are only up to 50f at best right now so I'm not slamming the corners where I had this issue quite as hard.

Jim,
Politely and with respect- The difference in damping quality at different speeds serves to support the original suggestion that you have paid $170 dollars for an effect you could have achieved with $5 of higher viscosity fork oil or a smaller air gap. The whole point of the valve emulator is to allow optimal flow at BOTH slow and fast speeds. How much damping is the job of oil viscosity.

Old April 17th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #19
old3
ninjette.org sage

Perhaps, but I also still have the option of different weight oil, height of the oil, the adjustments on the emulator including screw settings and spring rate, along with the multiple combinations of opened out oil holes. Maybe a different oil weight would have given me the same result, but I really doubt it. Dumbing down the damper roads with thicker oils will not give the same flow control as the emulator, especially on high speed compressions.

I did 150 miles of nasty, broken NY state pavement today, I can't find a fault with them, besides that I'd like another 6" of travel. As delivered, the stock forks would be bounding all over the place, and the same repetitive hammering I rode today would have the front tire chattering and skimming to the outside of every turn.

FWIW, I'm a 34 years riding, 47 year old "A" level off road racer. I get all my suspension tuning in my off road bikes before I even ride them at this point. Maybe for street riding I'm not as particular as a road race guy on a particular track, but I've been on these same roads for decades and the stock 300 was the worst forks I've ever used for them.

Dropping in these parts has made them better than tolerable. For a street bike, it ain't even bad now. It is as balanced as I can imagine with my GSXR rear shock.

Old April 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Lychee
sail away

Ride on sir!

Old April 21st, 2013, 07:23 AM   #21
old3
ninjette.org sage

I have found one fault at this point. (Finally!). While leaned over fairly hard, 50-60 MPH on a long left hand turn at a highway cloverleaf, so a long almost 360 degree turn, there were a series of consistent undulations in the surface. I'm thinking I was feeling the fork tubes flexing. It had a pumping feel at the bars, the forks couldn't seem to deal with the heavy side loading in that circumstance.

That has been the only oddity, and I don't know if more initial plushness would change it or if a fork brace would be the cure. I've been on a few warmer tire rides now in some of my typically rough and twisty roads and this was the only time I got that sensation.

More when I can duplicate that.

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:51 AM   #22
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
What, the frame doesn't still feel like it's carved out of billet steel anymore? Better replace those bearings.

I kid I kid.

If it's only happened once, I wouldn't worry about doing anything to fix it. There's been debates on here about fork braces on 250's, some think they're necessary while others think they're dumb. Consider how many racers ride 250's and how few of them spend the effort to buy/make fork braces.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 10:47 AM   #23
old3
ninjette.org sage

I know you keed, you keed, but the stock ball bearings were garbage, I'd not want to feel how bad that gyration would be with them in the steering head.

Warmer tires and better traction might bring out more issues, right now if that is the only one I can deal with it. It isn't a typical circumstance in my riding, think bumpy skid pad.

Who offers fork braces, just to get familiar with them.

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've never seen fork braces specifically for the Ninja 250 or 300. I'm not even sure how you'd go about making one.

EDIT: Looks like some Japanese companies make them, maybe the same thing as Bikerz products? I have no experience with any of them.
http://japan.webike.net/products/20124818.html

Another edit: after more reading, those are the same parts as what the brand Bikerz sells. Seems like the fork brace is the only part Bikerz sells that actually does anything other than look chunky. Chat with gallardo73 and see if he knows anything about the fork braces.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:32 PM   #25
old3
ninjette.org sage

Thank you!

Gave that a look, give me the impression of bling over bang with that thin bridge. Maybe I'll talk to my machinist buddy.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
I have found one fault at this point. (Finally!)............I'm thinking I was feeling the fork tubes flexing. It had a pumping feel at the bars, the forks couldn't seem to deal with the heavy side loading in that circumstance.

That has been the only oddity, and I don't know if more initial plushness would change it or if a fork brace would be the cure.......
Copied from http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe..._third_motion/

"The third motion:

Barring a few exceptions, the front wheel of your motorcycle is steered and suspended by a telescopic fork. Steering motion is a simple rotation around the steering axis, and suspension motion an equally simple sliding motion between two pairs of tubes.

..........But there is a third motion that isn’t talked about much. Though there are springs inside the fork, the fork itself is also a spring. It allows the axle to move back and forth, perpendicular to the fork’s sliding axis (and, to a lesser extent, side-to-side), because the fork tubes flex under load, bending as load conditions change. And this flexing and recovering motion is not damped. The extent of flex is controlled by the strength of the components, but the movement itself is not controlled."

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Steer/STEER.htm

Fork braces can only stiffen the torsion or rotation of one fork respect to the other; however, they cannot do much (if any) to stiffen the sideways bent of the forks under lateral forces and accelerations.

Tubular shapes are the worst to resist bending forces and deformations (I-beam shapes are the opposite).

In order to eliminate the non-dampened lateral springiness, both forks would need to be braced against each other for the full length, what would defeat the telescopic effect.

They are braced at the top (triple-tree) and at the bottom (wheel bolt), but they depend on the tubes rigidity by the mid-span.
The main problem with that deformation is that it compromises the parallelism and hence the free sliding of the suspension.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Steer1.gif (9.8 KB, 24 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #27
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

I noticed when ordering through Hardrace they ask what spring rate for the emulators. Anyone know what the stock springrate is for the 300?
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #28
ahamay
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
I noticed when ordering through Hardrace they ask what spring rate for the emulators. Anyone know what the stock springrate is for the 300?
The emulators have different spring rates and I'm gonna guess that that is what they are asking you for. When I got mine from racetech there was a blue set and a yellow set. The yellow set is stiffer/more race oriented and the blue set is more for aggressive street. Can't remember the rates so maybe someone else can chime in.

Old May 13th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #29
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
The emulators have different spring rates and I'm gonna guess that that is what they are asking you for. When I got mine from racetech there was a blue set and a yellow set. The yellow set is stiffer/more race oriented and the blue set is more for aggressive street. Can't remember the rates so maybe someone else can chime in.
Thank you sounds like I need to give them a buzz then.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #30
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

Forgive my suspension retardation, but what's the cheapest, easiest way to stiffen up the front? New oil, springs, both???
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #31
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

add a little more fork oil. Not sure how much air space you have in the 300, my pre-gen 250 has a lot of air space so i can safely add 20-30mm (length of the tube) of oil.

(disclaimer: you can only add so much before you damage the fork cap due to pressure; and purist will decry this is the "bandage" way)

Old June 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #32
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
purist here just chiming in with NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #33
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

i did this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...Fork_oil_level

went from 205mm level (of air) to 160mm. Very happy with it.
(i did after a while i went with the "correct" way of swapping the stock springs out with a ninja 500 springs, and then later the SonicSpring.)

now, i am not sure what's the oil/air level on the new 300. so if it started off high in oil from the factory already then no i don't recommend going the "add oil" route.

Old March 21st, 2017, 06:48 AM   #34
KiddEng
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Terry

Motorcycle(s): 14 Kawi Ninja 300 SE(Street/300 Series Races), 06 Daytona 675 (Track)

Thread Resurrection: Did you guys who installed the GVE on the 13+ 300, did you have to purchase and use the adapters that RaceTech sells with their GVE? part number: FPEV AD3507 P

Racetech's site says its required for the 300s but I cant find anyone online referencing these adapters during installation.

thanks!
KiddEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2017, 12:15 PM   #35
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

no adapters req update race tech says you need them

Last futzed with by jrshooter; March 24th, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2017, 11:31 AM   #36
KiddEng
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Terry

Motorcycle(s): 14 Kawi Ninja 300 SE(Street/300 Series Races), 06 Daytona 675 (Track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
no adapters req
dammit, they got me... I had ordered a set along with my GVE and Springs, there goes $20.

thanks for the reply!
KiddEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #37
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

i believe the answer is you need them, not because of the fit on the dampner rod, but because of a lack of a piston ring on the rod, i can see no other reason,

Old March 24th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #38
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

just talked to race tech. answer is. sometimes they dont seal properly on the rod. this ensures proper seal and consistent dampning.

Old April 10th, 2017, 03:50 AM   #39
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
Forgive my suspension retardation, but what's the cheapest, easiest way to stiffen up the front? New oil, springs, both???
1.5"pacers and 10 - 15wt fork oil.
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #40
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
... added a touch of oil over stock.
FYI: The additional oil over stock will affect it's characteristics, as the air-gap at the top of the tube acts like another "spring." This is why we want them to be even, and at specific levels.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote