ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old August 20th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #1
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Talking Considering an air cooled UJM, Honda 750 Four?

Hello All!

I'm going next week to look at a 1976 CB750 Four that's in need of some love to bring back to life. Apparently it's considered one of the original universal Japanese motorcycles (UJM). Judging by the pictures it looks like the supersport edition available only in 75 and 76. Air-cooled I-4, SOHC 8 valve motor with slide carbs, and a dry sump oiling system. And Thank Heaven a kick starter for days when my affinity for $hitty batteries acts up! That's the number one thing I miss about my first street bike, a 1970 BMW R60/5 (it was almost twice my age when I brought it back to life), if the battery was dead none of this bump starting BS just kick start it and go about your business.

I'm looking at it like it would be a good stablemate to the Ninja, it's still fairly compact with good ground clearance for playing around in the mountains here, but would have the capability to handle interstate and two-up work a little more comfortably than the Ninja.

Here's a link to a little write-up about the 750 Four:

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...per-sport.aspx

So my biggest concern (aside from the likelihood my Dad will disown me for buying a non-BMW 70's bike ) is dealing with not only 4 carbs but they're slide carbs which I understand to be a little more tricky to tune just right versus the CV's on the ninjette. And dealing with points worries me a little but I've been around them enough to probably figure them out.

Anyone on here have any experiences to share bringing old Honda's (or other air-cooled I-4's) back to life? Any big problems associated with these that I should look for as red flags?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda_CB750F.jpg (49.1 KB, 0 views)

Old August 20th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #2
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
The SOHC is a simple engine, not tons to go wrong,other than cam chain eating the case.

I had my '75 550 up and running the same day I brought it home.

then I did this:

I never did get to ride it

I had2 DOHC 750's and i thought it was pretty fast,i dont think it holds a candle to my tenere though. lol

I probably wont ever get another, just because it was always something wrong.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #3
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

I remember seeing that one on the forums, that was a sweet looking bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
I never did get to ride it
You mean the cam chain ate the case? That why you never got to ride it?

Old August 20th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #4
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Nah, I got it running, then tore it down to turn it into the frankenbike, and never finished it.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #5
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Nah, I got it running, then tore it down to turn it into the frankenbike, and never finished it.
Haha gotcha! I'd have to ride it around bone-stock for a while just to remind myself that some poor sap paid 1500 carter-era dollars (so like 10 grand in today's dollars) for this machine. And for good reason!