ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
krazygluon
Parking Lot Qualified

Name: Fielding

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

Mixing maintenance plans and oil preferences

So when I bought my Ninja, I decided to go for the dealership's "VIP Maintenance Plan" which covers the first 6 scheduled maintenances, primarily because 1) I wasn't sure I was up for the 600 mile service and 2) part of said plan also included 4 years of tire/wheel replacement which given the roads of michigan sounds like a good idea.

But I'm questioning a snag in this whole plan.

I'm coming up on 1k miles (850 right now, taking ERC tomorrow, so prolly going to crack 1k by next weekend) and I intend to switch over to synthetic, but I'm going the Rotella/Delvac route (researching what's cheaper/available in my area right now) and use the Wix filter.

My question is: has anybody tried handing the bike shop a jug of this stuff and furnished their own filter and had much success with the shop doing the work?

I plan on doing the 1k change myself since its not in the first 6 "scheduled" changes in the manual, but I'm curious as to whether I'll be forced to go behind the shop's back and re-change my oil to keep it running my preferred synthetic. *not* going to pay ten bucks a quart for their synthetic.
krazygluon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

just remember, that still only comes to $20, well not even, if you stick with their plan

Old June 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
kkim

why not just change the oil/filter yourself and not say anything to the shop? are you not permitted to work on your bike yourself (as in it will void your warranty with them)? if so, you might think twice about what you've gotten yourself into.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #4
krazygluon
Parking Lot Qualified

Name: Fielding

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

I can/will do the work if necessary. :grin: something seems counterintuitive about doing a change right after they do one if they refuse to put my oil into it...

I was trying to see if there's much precedent for bike shops taking owner requests to pour delvac or rotella into their bikes.
krazygluon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Why not just ask them? Just tell them you'd rather use the oil and filter you supply. You've already paid for their oil and their filter as part of the plan, right? So they're actually coming out ahead by using your stuff.

Don't talk to the guy at the counter. Talk to the manager.

I don't know if you give a rip about the environment or not, but doing an oil change on top of another oil change is not a terribly responsible thing.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote