ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #41
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo127 View Post
i was just reading your forum! so your saying it might be the flash relay? i bought a fl thermal flasher i should exchange that one then, this wiring is a pain! but thanks for the advice i'll try it out and let you know how it goes in acouple of hours
Might that be an "FL-32" thermal flasher? If so, I can say that's almost definitely your problem. That's what I had in to generate the weird stuff in the post I linked above. Most 'thermal flashers' are mechanical and not designed for the low resistance from LED flasher bulbs.
To solve it, I purchased a CF12ANL-01 from SuperBrightLEDs.com (direct link) which seems to correct it. Also the LF1-S-PIN & LF1-S-FLAT should work, but will require a little wiring to bridge the relay and the stock wiring. There's a bunch of other LED flashers on the market, many of them less expensive, but that's what I used. I can't guarantee the relay is your issue, but that's what it sounds like to me and it's a very common problem.

Unfortunately I'll be on the road for a couple days, but the others around should be able to help out if that's not it and I'll check back soon as I can.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:58 PM   #42
romeo127
ninjette.org member

Name: romeo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

thanks for all the help!!
romeo127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #43
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Hey Paul im not doing the fancy way and just striping wire and connecting them. Does the black from the protons go to the green wire from the stock harness or does it go to the black/yellow wire from the stock harness?

And from what I read its the red and orange wire to get normal blinking?
HELP I am trying to do this today.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #44
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

NVM! I read better this time. lol thanks.

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #45
Momaru

Reading is your friend

But JIC, it should be black on protons to black/yellow on stock.

And orange (to stock harness green) is all you need for normal. You could attach red as well, but it makes no diff. I just did it that way b/c I didn't know better and figured it shouldn't hurt.

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #46
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

lol ok.

I also noticed mine sat in there kinda weird. Not noticeable but there was a little gap that I noticed... but again I am super picky..

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #47
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
lol ok.

I also noticed mine sat in there kinda weird. Not noticeable but there was a little gap that I noticed... but again I am super picky..
Don't forget they're especially molded to fit one side, so if they're swapped they won't fit well. But the fit isn't perfect; had to make some allowances for manufacturing variation in the fairings. That's another reason I went with the silicone bead around the 'lens,' to close that gap.

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #48
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

how is there a left and a right they look exactly the same?

Old April 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM   #49
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I will be doing this soon. I already have rear leds and a new led flasher. Will I need to do the diode mod too? I will be using the orange wire only for power.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM   #50
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs you will

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #51
Risky
ninjette.org member

Name: Glen

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2012

I have searched all threads to find none that address my specific issue and hope someone may be able to help me.

I just installed proton flushmounts on the front and have retained stock on the rear. I added a new flasher relay (Tridon HD12) to address the issue of rear lights not flashing and now all but my front left proton lights work properly. The front left one is dismally underpowered and struggles to light up much at all. I tried plugging this seemingly faulty left side proton light into the right harness to check if it was an issue with my left side wiring but it still flashed abnormally.

The inexplicable thing is that it worked great, then didn't, then had a couple of erratic moments before displaying the behaviour above.

Granted my relay is not ideal as it's an electro mechanical version but was the only one in my local auto shop that came close. As mentioned, it fixed the rear light issue instantly. I tried returning to the stock relay but the left proton, where it had worked fine under the stock before, now remained dimly lit. Would a fully electronic relay really fix this issue? I'm now not so sure.

I have them wired for strobe with the red and yellow proton wires to the ninja's stock green and of course the black to the stock black/yellow. I tried snipping the red wire but this had no effect on the poor light output.

I am out of ideas cannot see any other reason for it other than a faulty proton light. Any body have any ideas?
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #52
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
I have searched all threads to find none that address my specific issue and hope someone may be able to help me.

I just installed proton flushmounts on the front and have retained stock on the rear. I added a new flasher relay (Tridon HD12) to address the issue of rear lights not flashing and now all but my front left proton lights work properly. The front left one is dismally underpowered and struggles to light up much at all. I tried plugging this seemingly faulty left side proton light into the right harness to check if it was an issue with my left side wiring but it still flashed abnormally.

The inexplicable thing is that it worked great, then didn't, then had a couple of erratic moments before displaying the behaviour above.

Granted my relay is not ideal as it's an electro mechanical version but was the only one in my local auto shop that came close. As mentioned, it fixed the rear light issue instantly. I tried returning to the stock relay but the left proton, where it had worked fine under the stock before, now remained dimly lit. Would a fully electronic relay really fix this issue? I'm now not so sure.

I have them wired for strobe with the red and yellow proton wires to the ninja's stock green and of course the black to the stock black/yellow. I tried snipping the red wire but this had no effect on the poor light output.

I am out of ideas cannot see any other reason for it other than a faulty proton light. Any body have any ideas?
I assume you have LED rear signals as well? If so, one diagnostic you might try is plugging in stock (incandescent) blinkers in the rear with protons up front. If they behave normally, I can pretty much guarantee it's your flasher.

I had a standard electro-mech blinker at one point and had some very strange flash issues as well. Frankly, I'd try getting a proper, fully-electronic blinker first. When I had mine, the proton would flash irregularly, sometimes bright, sometimes dim, but the rears worked just fine. Getting an electronic relay usually corrects unusual blinker issues.

I cannot remember a single instance of a faulty HTS proton flasher. That said, there's always a first time and I have seen a lot of instances of other LEDs permanently damaged by a power surge.

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #53
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

If one works when plugged into the right and the other one doesn't when plugged into the right then it's the Proton unit.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #54
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

nice...i just ordered the flush mounts

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #55
Risky
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I assume you have LED rear signals as well? If so, one diagnostic you might try is plugging in stock (incandescent) blinkers in the rear with protons up front. If they behave normally, I can pretty much guarantee it's your flasher.

I had a standard electro-mech blinker at one point and had some very strange flash issues as well. Frankly, I'd try getting a proper, fully-electronic blinker first. When I had mine, the proton would flash irregularly, sometimes bright, sometimes dim, but the rears worked just fine. Getting an electronic relay usually corrects unusual blinker issues.

I cannot remember a single instance of a faulty HTS proton flasher. That said, there's always a first time and I have seen a lot of instances of other LEDs permanently damaged by a power surge.
Hey Momaru, I have stock on the back. Just scored a fully electrical one but to be honest, I'm hesitant to bother because of the below.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
If one works when plugged into the right and the other one doesn't when plugged into the right then it's the Proton unit.
Exactly. How could it possibly be anything else? I emailed Mike at High tech to explain and he's sending me out a new unit. Stay tuned, this may just be the first time Momaru! I bloody hope so as I'm all out of ideas.

Old April 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM   #56
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Thanks to all of you I completed the mod and everything works great! Thank you for posting all the step by step.

Old April 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM   #57
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
BTW, did you replace your stock relay?
So...I need to replace my stock relay in order to use these??

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:35 AM   #58
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
You need an electronic flasher relay EL34.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #59
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Great...couldn't be something simple.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM   #60
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
This may help
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...buying+flasher

Old May 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM   #61
Risky
ninjette.org member

So the Proton flasher unit itself was indeed faulty. I received a replacement in the mail from Mike at HTS, switched it in and it works perfectly. Great service from HTS, couldn't be better. Just don't ever think that it can't be the LED unit itself, because it can, and you'll drive yourself banana's looking for an alternate explanation!

Old May 1st, 2012, 03:30 PM   #62
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
So the Proton flasher unit itself was indeed faulty. I received a replacement in the mail from Mike at HTS, switched it in and it works perfectly. Great service from HTS, couldn't be better. Just don't ever think that it can't be the LED unit itself, because it can, and you'll drive yourself banana's looking for an alternate explanation!
Heh, wow, guess you were the first I've heard about. Glad you got it sorted out, hope ya enjoy them!

Old May 4th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #63
Risky
ninjette.org member

They're great. I love them. But they certainly do cut down the visibility of my indications so I also mounted Oberon bar end LED indicators and together, they rock.

Old May 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #64
folky15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I installed the Protons today and everything works great (thanks to this DIY!!) except for one minor problem:

To get the Protons to act as running lights, I tapped into the license plate light wiring and connected it to the red Proton wire. I can hear the relay clicking at the same time as the rear LED signals flash, but the front Protons are 'un-synced.' I also did the diode mod and everything looks great except that the front and rear LED's don't flash at the same time.

When I disconnect the red Proton wire from the license plate wire, everything is synced and works as it should. Is there some other power source I should be using for the running lights?

update: I tried using some other power source (tail lights, straight from the battery) and I still have the weird flashing when I connect the running late. Freakin' annoying. Any advice?

Last futzed with by folky15; June 8th, 2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: provided update
folky15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #65
sleepless
ninjette.org member

Name: Sleepless

Motorcycle(s): '11 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by folky15 View Post
To get the Protons to act as running lights, I tapped into the license plate light wiring and connected it to the red Proton wire. I can hear the relay clicking at the same time as the rear LED signals flash, but the front Protons are 'un-synced.' I also did the diode mod and everything looks great except that the front and rear LED's don't flash at the same time.
Are you trying to use the Protons ONLY as running lights? Or have them be dimly lit at all times and full brightness when you put your turn signals on?

I didn't think the Protons had the ability to act as both running lights and turn signals. That would depend on the board inside the lights, but as far as I know, it's not meant to do that.

If you just want them as running lights, you could try tapping into the actual running lights wire in your taillights. It is the red wire IIRC.
sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #66
sleepless
ninjette.org member

Name: Sleepless

Motorcycle(s): '11 250 SE

One more thing, a idiot's guide PSA if you will

You need to REUSE the stock metal mounting bracket when installing the Proton lights in the fender. If for some reason you are having an off day and simply install the included washer and nut right up against the rubber grommet in the fairing, the bolt in the Proton WILL break in half on your FIRST ride out after reassembling your machine.

(From personal experience..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Parts:
Protons
2 Position 050-HC Connector (http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html)
Stranded wire (~22AWG)
Shrink tubing (3/16" & 3/32")
Solder
Soldering iron
Wire stripper/cutters (I had two pairs, not pictured)
Crimper
Liquid electric tape (optional) (also not pictured)
Gasket sealer (optional)
Momaru, might want to include that in the parts list for the fellow thick-headed riders. Great diy though!
sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #67
folky15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
Are you trying to use the Protons ONLY as running lights? Or have them be dimly lit at all times and full brightness when you put your turn signals on?

I didn't think the Protons had the ability to act as both running lights and turn signals. That would depend on the board inside the lights, but as far as I know, it's not meant to do that.

If you just want them as running lights, you could try tapping into the actual running lights wire in your taillights. It is the red wire IIRC.

I'm trying to use the Protons as running lights that are on all the time, and then have them act as turn signals when needed. I believe that they are supposed to be able to function properly in that type of set-up. I talked to the Proton support people and they suggested I try some different relays to see if that fixes the problem.