ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Mic placement? In a sports car?
What am I missing?
the wind noise! you're missing the wind noise Watch the video with sound on.

I'm running an external mic with my gopro so I can get better audio that sounds more like what I hear while driving, without wind noise. This video was my inspiration. If you don't use a sheltered external microphone, all you get is wind noise/vibration/junk audio.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Backstory: I wanted to capture what the car actually sounds like to me in my videos so people can get a good feel for it; also so I can actually hear what I'm doing with the car and what the tires are doing so I can get more use out of videos as a learning tool for track time to improve my driving. I used an external mic with a long cord on my GoPro. I put the gopro on my roll bar, then ran the cord through the interior panels, into the trunk, and then dangled it down the inside of the bumper and attached it (with a furry wind blocker) to the trunk lock cylinder. Some people dangle it on the exterior of the car with painters tape, but I feel like my solution is more elegant, IMHO.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2019, 10:03 AM   #43
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
First 4-wheeled track experience is in the books! I'm slow, but the whole purpose is learning, right? The car did wonderfully.

@csmith12 got me hooked back in the day, I've just changed direction a little.

I was playing with braking and turn-in points to pitch the car on entry. I overdid it once. Looking at the video, I think my shift to 2nd was the issue; did that too late and it overlapped with turn-in and that sent me into a slide rather than a hot entry.

Old May 11th, 2019, 10:10 AM   #44
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I dig it!

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:20 AM   #45
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Finally decompressing after being at the track all weekend for SCCA Time Trial National Tour at CMP. It was a hell of a time!! Baby racecar did great, no mechanical issues at all, even in 90+ temps.

I started out the weekend running about 2:19 laps, similar to where I was on my last track night. I worked on everything and got down to 2:06.365 according to the official times. I really suck at autocross though, so the track cross timed segments really killed my standings. I lost like 10 seconds to that... oh well. It was still a really fun time!! I went with several friends and made some new friends while I was at it.

Cars, go carts, grilling, a few beers after the track went cold, etc etc etc. If you ever want to dabble in car racing but driving circles in a parking lot isn't your thing and you don't want to drop $$$$ on repairs from wheel-to-wheel racing, you 100% should check out an SCCA Time Trial National event.

The car also looks great in sticker form. I'm sure I'll buy 1 or 2 pictures from the photographer, but for now, this will have to do.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3039.jpg (97.9 KB, 81 views)

Old May 27th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #46
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Nice! It's a beautiful thing when a baby racecar gets to run at speed.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2019, 06:21 PM   #47
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The meotter and I got a performance award this weekend by a nice officer of the Blount County TN Sheriff's department.

This will be a fun one to deal with. I think I'm going to meet with a traffic attorney to try and figure out my options. Normally I'd just pay it and be on my way, but third gear got me a little further onto the naughty kids list than I want to admit to.

Anyway, got a good picture out of the deal.

Old July 6th, 2019, 09:19 PM   #48
CaliGrrl

Awwww!!! No more on the naughty list!

Old July 25th, 2019, 07:51 PM   #49
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So a couple weeks ago I made it out to Atlanta Motorsports Park. That track is seriously a go kart track for full size cars. I believe it's the track that Randy Pobst calls home, and it's a very technical course. I need to learn it better next season. One afternoon was just a teaser!

I signed up for SCCA Time Trial Nationals at the National Corvette Museum track in Bowling Green, KY at the end of September. I have a few odds and ends to do to the car before then, but nothing too serious. I love that the car is mostly stock and is reliable as heck and pretty much all I have to do is work on the sack of meat connecting the steering wheel to the pedals. I'm hoping it makes me a better driver in the long run.

I also got a bikini top and am in the process of hunting down all the hardware for a clean install, so stay tuned there. Because who doesn't love a roadster with a bikini top! Very classic speedster style. It should look something like this, except black on black on black. Because black.

Old July 26th, 2019, 09:33 AM   #50
CaliGrrl

Very pretty and it's nice that you can race her, too. Nice that you can let her out to really run.

Old September 30th, 2019, 07:32 PM   #51
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Last weekend was SCCA Time Trial Nationals! I was second to last in my class, nearly last overall, and IDGAF because I had a f***ing hoot doing it. I raced on a track I'd never seen, met new friends, and got to see drivers of all shapes and sizes all enjoying the same thing I do.

First off, anyone who hasn't been to National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park in Bowling Green, KY, go check it out! Unlike most racetracks I've been to so far, this one is only 5 minutes from actual civilization, which means even if you choose to camp onsite like I did, you can still get your Starbucks in the morning. It's also one hell of a track. 23 turns in 3.7 miles and it's probably the best fluid balance of a power track and a momentum track that I've had the pleasure of being on (I've been told that the grand course at VIR is similar in this respect).

It's 6+ hours from where I'm at in Western NC, so I borrowed my buddy's trailer and drove the truck there. Worth it.

This one was a huge learning experience for me. This is a highly technical track and it's been a minute since I've been on track. This was also the first time I have ever attempted to compete on a track that was brand new to me. I think I'll need to go try some new AutoX courses for getting better at being fast out of the gate... it took me entirely too long to figure out the line and get the speeds up everywhere. Oh well, enjoy my "fast" lap of 2:50.197, which felt pretty quick, but I guess isn't. Looking at my mistakes and the times of other drivers, I think I have an easy 5 seconds to drop without changing anything but my driving. Tires are easily another 5-10, and some suspension improvements would likely get me more confidence which will probably do more for my consistency than adding actual speed, but the added camber of some lowness would be appreciated as well.

Also, for anyone who has a Miata and wants to keep their coolant temps in check, my 949 radiator and reroute seem to be doing the trick just fine. The intake temps on the other hand... here's a little OBD data I recorded. Ambient conditions were in the 90's and coolant temps were well controlled at 205 F, with only a couple spikes to 207 or so; and this is with Mazda coolant, not water+waterwetter!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3926.jpg (90.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg temps.jpg (37.3 KB, 46 views)

Old October 1st, 2019, 09:56 AM   #52
CaliGrrl

Nice! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself!

Old October 1st, 2019, 08:55 PM   #53
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Woohoo!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2019, 10:49 AM   #54
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Shameless pictures. Needs moar cambers. Needs a stubby antenna so it doesn't look like an RC car

Old October 5th, 2019, 10:59 AM   #55
CaliGrrl

Nice!

I don't think she looks like a toy, antenna or no antenna.

Old October 12th, 2019, 01:30 PM   #56
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
You’re missing the nationals at VIR?

Old October 12th, 2019, 01:58 PM   #57
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That's runoffs, not TT Nationals program. TT Nationals is what I was at in Kentucky.

Old February 22nd, 2020, 06:53 PM   #58
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
2020 car goals:
- learn a new course faster
- keep the car on the limit more.

Despite thinking it's absolutely silly to drive one's car in circles in a parking lot, autocross is the best tool for the job to learn this stuff. CCR SCCA hosted its first event of 2020 today, so I braved the morning cold and dodged some cones

Over the winter, the car has gotten good coilovers, extended lower ball joints on the front of the car, stickier tires, and a more aggressive alignment. It's primo.

Old March 7th, 2020, 07:00 PM   #59
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Got out for some more parking lot circles today. Was fun. This week, the car got some new stuff put on it.

- A used cheap cell phone, mounted inside the glovebox, rigid on the dash bar
- a USB-c to HDMI to RCA converter
- 10 hz GPS receiver.

The end result is now I can compare my data between runs (and with anyone else who is running TrackAddict at the same event), and get some sweet basic overlays onto my videos. I also wired the whole thing into the video input for my head unit's reverse camera to keep it clean. Now I can catch lap and sector times on camera, also I should be able to glance at lap times on track and know real time how my lap was during TT's rather than having to wait until I get back to the pits.

Old March 8th, 2020, 09:05 AM   #60
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Pretty fun!
What kind of alignment specs are you using?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2020, 05:36 PM   #61
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ballpark -2 degrees camber all around, just under 5 degrees caster, 0 toe all around.