ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 18th, 2019, 10:35 AM   #1
lavarsios
ninjette.org member

Name: Vasileios

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250r

Wobbling on high speeds.

Another day,another issue its seems.
I have a new issue with the rear end.I can feel wobbling on the rear end in high speeds.It starts to be noticeable on over 110+ kmh and up to top speed.It's not high frequency it's almost there are bumps in the road but in order to be sure,i drove in the same roads i rode almost everyday and i can say for sure it's from the rear end.It's speed dependable and not rpm.It's getting a LOT more ugly with passenger on and i don't know what to look for.My chain slack is in the limits,i don't think i have a misalignment in the rear wheel and i don't have brake drag.As a side note i think my ninja has become lazier and it's top speed won't pass 140kmh.I don't know if it has to do something with that but...
lavarsios is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'd start by checking the balance of the rear wheel.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 18th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #3
lavarsios
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'd start by checking the balance of the rear wheel.
The wheel had been balanced from the guy who installed me my rear tire,and as i can see no weight has been flown away.It was the first think i checked.

Old November 18th, 2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

When did the problem start? Right after the tire was installed, or later?

Old November 18th, 2019, 07:19 PM   #5
JFMNINJA400
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): GSXR 750, GSXR 600, Ninja 400, Ninja 300

Question

How many miles on the rear tire? What brand of rear tire? What PSI is in the rear? Is the rear rim bent? Put it on a rear stand and see if any wobbles.
JFMNINJA400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 08:58 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFMNINJA400 View Post
How many miles on the rear tire? What brand of rear tire? What PSI is in the rear? Is the rear rim bent? Put it on a rear stand and see if any wobbles.
We need to get him to answer the previous question first, and go from there.

Old November 18th, 2019, 11:06 PM   #7
lavarsios
ninjette.org member

The rear tire was installed on march/april.Less than 10k on the rear and it has a lot of meat yet.Michelin power rs 150/60 if i remember corect.The problem started lately.I believe it might had started after i reduce the chain slack.I am not sure though cos i didn't drive at high speed right after.Rim is not bend.nothing out of shape.What i red in the net is that it might be a tight spot in the chain but how can i find it?!Also on rear stands i don't feel any womble on the rim/tyre BUT my chain some times and on high speeds jumps around for no apparent reason.

Old November 19th, 2019, 06:30 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

OK, now we're getting more information. The chain jumping around at high speed pretty much says you need a new one, but to be sure of what's happening, put the bike on its center stand and rotate the rear wheel, observing the chain movement, how much slack there is, etc.. If it's anything but smooth movement and if even one link is stiff, get a new chain. Inspect both sprockets too, because especially when a bad chain has been running on them, they're likely to need replacing at the same time.

If the chain is causing the problem, it's a dangerous condition. A broken chain can cause a crash. Don't wait, check it before riding any more.

Old November 19th, 2019, 08:09 AM   #9
lavarsios
ninjette.org member

The chain is pretty new i think less than 20k on it. I cleaned it about 400klm ago.The slack on both axis,left right,up and down is ok.I will find some time and fix it.Do you know what kind of chain i should buy?

Old November 19th, 2019, 08:31 AM   #10
JFMNINJA400
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): GSXR 750, GSXR 600, Ninja 400, Ninja 300

You got 10/k miles out of a Michelin RS rear tire? You can fit a 150/60 on the stock rim without an issue?

Driven and RK make excellent chain replacements. You can’t go wrong with any name brand chain. Like Jim said, replace both sprockets at the same time.
JFMNINJA400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #11
lavarsios
ninjette.org member

easy 10k and it has a lot more to give.somewhere around 2/3 on the middle.The only issue with 150 on the rear was the chicken strips but meh as for the sprockets they are basically new,and also a new info.I just spoke with the privious owner and he had changed both chain and sprockets.And i believe him because everything looks new.The chain and sprockets after checking the service book have around 10k on them.And i clean/grease them frequently.

Old November 19th, 2019, 09:54 AM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, I could only fully use 150 rear-tyre with 4.5" rear wheel.

Inspect chain for tight/locked-up links. Sometimes, there's installation errors at shop using wrong tool and it pinches plates together. Also big discussion on EX-500.com about possible counterfeit RK chains.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2019, 10:04 AM   #13
lavarsios
ninjette.org member

How do you fix a tight/stucked pin?

Old November 21st, 2019, 01:38 AM   #14
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavarsios View Post
How do you fix a tight/stucked pin?
Replace chain. Unless your working with a brand new chain and accidentally riveted the masterlink to tight, in which case you remove and start over with riveting the masterlink again
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote