ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 10th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1
chef
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

LEDs !!

What can be the cause of my sudden LED problems?
As mentioned before,the LEDS are wired in retaining the stock bulbs under the seat (this is Indonesia!) & was working.
Now when selecting the blinker,rear leds flash on/off at correct rate,individually,but the front cycle on/off at the same time (front left & right)
So,when selecting the indicator,i have 3 LED flashing at the same time!

Must be something small as was working.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Do you have an electronic flasher relay?

If not get one

Old May 10th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
chef
ninjette.org member

Going to look again tonight but i assume there must be 1 installed,everything was working fine until pulling the fairings to clean.
Could it possibly be an issue with an undercharged battery? Indicators wont flash with key in Auxilliary position because the bike has been idle 2 weeks,will only flash with engine running?

Old May 11th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #4
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
Going to look again tonight but i assume there must be 1 installed,everything was working fine until pulling the fairings to clean.
Could it possibly be an issue with an undercharged battery? Indicators wont flash with key in Auxilliary position because the bike has been idle 2 weeks,will only flash with engine running?
Mine did the same. Worked for a week or 2 then everything started flashing.

If you have replaced more than 2 lights with LED's than you need to do the diode mod. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79621

Basically, the LED's don't use enough power. The electrical system relies on the 2 indicators that are active to use all the power in the circuit. Your LED's aren't using it all, so it is leaking to the other indicators because they are all on the same circuit. The diode mod prevents the power from leaking to the other side by only allowing current to flow in one direction.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #5
chef
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys,this is eating me away thinking all day about it till i get home at 10 tonight.
So after reading so many posts & DIY"s it seems i need to install the diode mod.
Hard to find people who do good work so the entire install of LED"s is twist & wrap! By installing the lamps in parallel with the existing rear lamps,i guess this is creating the "resistance" required for them to work.(The existing bulbs will illuminate slightly when selecting the blinker) I just dont like all the crap under the cowl!
Do the diodes need to be installed at the wiring harness or should it be possible to remove the standard bulb installation under the cowl & install the diodes there?
The diode mod will make the LED"s blink.....the flasher will affect the flash rate correct?
The only flasher i have been able to find so far is a Bosch AHO 453 which is 4 pins.
I am heading home to Sydney next week for a holiday so should be able to pick up a suitable relay there.
Sorry for the stupid questions but want to be sure before i rip into anything.
Cheers.

Old May 11th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #6
tubarney
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
Thanks guys,this is eating me away thinking all day about it till i get home at 10 tonight.
So after reading so many posts & DIY"s it seems i need to install the diode mod.
Hard to find people who do good work so the entire install of LED"s is twist & wrap! By installing the lamps in parallel with the existing rear lamps,i guess this is creating the "resistance" required for them to work.(The existing bulbs will illuminate slightly when selecting the blinker) I just dont like all the crap under the cowl!
Do the diodes need to be installed at the wiring harness or should it be possible to remove the standard bulb installation under the cowl & install the diodes there?
The diode mod will make the LED"s blink.....the flasher will affect the flash rate correct?
The only flasher i have been able to find so far is a Bosch AHO 453 which is 4 pins.
I am heading home to Sydney next week for a holiday so should be able to pick up a suitable relay there.
Sorry for the stupid questions but want to be sure before i rip into anything.
Cheers.
The diodes will stop the indicators on the other side from flashing. The flasher will correct the flash rate, but you might not need it. Do the diode mod first, then the flasher.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/L.E.D_Lighting

The flasher I use is 3 pins, I use 2 of the 3 pins. I have no idea about the 4 pin one.

As far as installing the diodes I'm pretty sure you can install it there. Just need to make sure the diode is the correct way and its installed on the correct wire. Where thunder blue is installing the diodes is very easy to get to.

If your going to be in Sydney, go down to JayCar, they have everything you will need for the diode mod and the flasher. The only thing you will have trouble finding is the correct connectors, basically I just soldered the wires together, it is a lot cleaner looking.
tubarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
chef
ninjette.org member

Thanks Brad,
Going to wait 1 more week & get all the parts at Jaycar,hehe,can spend an afternoon there,so much cool stuff.Ask about heat shrink tube here or electrical connectors has just got blank faces here.
Got me some RHOK wheel lights on order so will have some nice farkles to install when i get back.
Great place Sydney,no where like it in the world.
Hope to have a few cold crowns while there.