ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

Name: Elias

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Mini air compressor 12v for removing handle grip?

i was wondering if i could remove my handle grips safely by using a mini air compressor. I know it can be done with a normal air compressor, but would the 140 psi output be enough?

Would love to know before buying one.

its one like this one:

http://www.safety-devices.com/hornet...compressor.htm

ty.
Graugaard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Air compressor? Just use WD40 & a flat head screw driver.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Air compressor? Just use WD40 & a flat head screw driver.
oh interesting... that wont cut in the bars ? i want to save them since they are originale and might be good for resell value

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
anything that will shoot a constant stream of compressed air from a tank will be fine. if it's a pump, idk how well that would work

@Nemesis WD40 works fine too, but with an air compressor with a spray attachment, the grips literally float off the bars. All you have to do is slide them off as you spray air under them. Takes 3 seconds total, and then there's no WD40 to clean off before you glue them back down
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graugaard View Post
oh interesting... that wont cut in the bars ? i want to save them since they are originale and might be good for resell value
You may scratch the bars very slightly but it's going to be covered by the grips so it really doesn't matter.

Just wedge the tip of the flat head in between the bar & grip, spray WD40 inside and move the flat head around (don't twist...that will cause scratching but again doesn't matter...but you want to preserve the grips so yeah don't twist). Keep spraying and moving the flat head around till the whole grip slides around at which point you can just slide them off the handle bar.

Takes like 2 minutes.

Old January 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
@Nemesis WD40 works fine too, but with an air compressor with a spray attachment, the grips literally float off the bars. All you have to do is slide them off as you spray air under them. Takes 3 seconds total, and then there's no WD40 to clean off before you glue them back down
Interesting. How much pressure does one's air tank have to put out to make this work?

Also, not a lot of people have access to air compressors and/or the money to buy. WD40...sold at your local hardware/auto stores.

Old January 8th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #7
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

I just replaced mine this weekend,I used a spray bottle with very soapy water, just spray it under the grips at both ends,twist back and forth to get it under the grips and they come right off. Wipe the bars dry, sprayed hairspray inside the new grips with a little on the bars and the new ones slid right on, they slide around for 10 minutes or so to get them positioned how you want them. 20 minutes later and they don't move at all.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well it worked with my dad's little compressor that we use to inflate tires. It's a craftsman 5 gallon air compressor. I think we have it set to go to like 80 psi before it cuts off? I just burrow the tip of the spray attachment into the bar/grip and pull the lever, and off the grip floats right off. No damage, no greasy leftovers, plus then you get to play with blowing things across the garage cuz you have an entire tank full of compressed air, and all you needed it for was grips. (and people wonder why whenever I work on my bike it always takes me a long time )

Always take time to enjoy the little things

Old January 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Hmm...$60+ (air compressor) vs $3 (WD40) + paper towel from McDonalds...you pick OP.

LOL

Old January 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

Don't even need the wd40....flat head did just fine....used weep 2nd time and it was slightly easier...
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #11
longhorn
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol (from Safeway-always have a bottle in the medicine cabinet anyway) and a screwdriver. They slide right off. I use it to put them back on too-no messy glue-the alcohol just evaporates in a few hours and the grips are then on really tight.
longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Hmm...$60+ (air compressor) vs $3 (WD40) + paper towel from McDonalds...you pick OP.

LOL
The man brings up a good point

I used a can of hair spray (that I originally bought as fuel for my potato cannon) to glue my grips back on. no problems so far

Old January 8th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

Whoops just took my wd-40 and it slides of like... uhm yea w/e.. point is i got them out! Now i can put on my oxford heated grips. ty!

Old January 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #14
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

Um razor...slice...done. like 10seconds. literally done 100's of sets of grips. are you trying to save the old ones?

Old January 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #15
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

I should clarify. When I install the grips I spray some cheap $1.99 spray paint in them, dump excess out then install. They slide right on and when the paint dries there is not way they come off. Very important when racing to NOT have them slide off the bar. No way you get the grip off blowing or WD when they are glued on properly. Slice them in half, peel them off in seconds.

Old January 8th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #16
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I use 99% isopropyl alcohol (from Safeway-always have a bottle in the medicine cabinet anyway) and a screwdriver. They slide right off. I use it to put them back on too-no messy glue-the alcohol just evaporates in a few hours and the grips are then on really tight.
+1

This.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #17
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I use 99% isopropyl alcohol (from Safeway-always have a bottle in the medicine cabinet anyway)
anhydrous alcohol is not as effective as dilute at killing germs. I seem to recall that most bacteria die in about half the time in 70% alcohol than 99%, although I think that was ethanol rather than isopropanol, so the percentages might be slightly different. But don't think that using pure alcohol to kill germs is any better. It's more like using antifreeze...most effective around 70%. Above that and it freezes more easily, as water lowers the freezing temp of ethylene glycol...not just the other way around.

I keep 99% in the shed, and 70% in the medicine cabinate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote