ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja EX250R

Muffler removal...

Flame on guys and girls, but I have a question on this.

Why is it bad to simply remove the mufflers and ride open header?

I've read that it "reduced backpressure" or "you have to rejet" but the main one that is bothering me is "you will burn up a valve."

Ok, I feel I am a pretty competent mechanic but hey, I can always learn. So educate me please.

Why is it so bad to ride open header on these bikes. Not saying I want to do it all the time, but every now and then will be kinda cool/funny. Especially when I stop at a light besides those bastards on the cell phones or with their music blaring.

Yarr!

I'm fully expecting a debate here so please leave your honest opinions and if you're going to leave a reason being that the engine will be fubar'd, please explain to me why it will be and if there is any proof of it.

Thanks everyone.

-Brandon

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i'd wonder if i'd loose performance somewhere...
followed by my hearing, riding pals, and friendly neighbors

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

lmao, but my neighbors are being prics, so it's my way to get back.

I park my bike on the sidewalk in front of my house. I live and own a townhome. They've just threatened to have my bike towed if I did it again.

Let the battle begin.

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #4
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

heck then ya gots nothing to loose!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Not saying I want to do it all the time, but every now and then will be kinda cool/funny. Especially when I stop at a light besides those bastards on the cell phones or with their music blaring.
so, you want to be a noise maker? Even as a fellow rider, when someone has an obnoxiously loud bike, I cringe. I can just imagine what non bikers think of motorcyclists in general when some thoughtless boob thinks it cool/funny to be such an ass to ride a straight piped bike on the street.

Want thrills??? take it to a track and see how many you'll impress with your "cool/funny" bike. I bet they even make you put a muffler back on. if that doesn't tell you something....

in short... BAD idea.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Ok, I appreciate your opinion and I whole heartedly agree with it.

But look at it this way....

Why is it ok for harley guys to ride around like that? My bike is loud, but it's nothing on those guys. And just because they have a harley it makes it ok? I won't buy that one.

This will NOT be a full time thing. Just from time to time. I enjoy my hearing too much.

This will be a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

Old June 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #7
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Name: bogdan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Z750

Quote:
lmao, but my neighbors are being prics, so it's my way to get back.

I park my bike on the sidewalk in front of my house. I live and own a townhome. They've just threatened to have my bike towed if I did it again.

Let the battle begin.
Good luck !

Old June 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #8
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

running without the manifold/ header can lead to you burning a valve especially in cold weather just taking the cans off wont destroy anything
except your ears

Old June 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I don't think it's ok for Harley riders to do it either. It's too disruptive and obnoxious. True, loud pipes save lives, but if they're distracting to the traffic then they might be risking lives too. If it's so loud that people stop paying attention to the road because you're so annoying..... Bad things.

On the neighbor note, I wouldn't suggest making them even more mad unless you have some kind of camera watching your bike. My problem wouldn't be them towing it, it would be them going at it with a baseball bat and you having no proof it's them. Just my

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Obsidian
ninjette.org member

Now I understand the "burning the valve" part. Still doesn't make a ton of sense to me but with no manifold at all on there, I can see bad things happening.

I wear ear plugs 90% of the time I ride. If it's just a little jaunt around town then it's ok, and I'm talking about with the pipes on there.

My pipes keep rubbing against my trailing arm and rubbing them down to bare metal. Stuff sucks. I have to keep cleaning it up and throwing on a little coat of paint.

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #11
kkim

Quote:
My pipes keep rubbing against my trailing arm and rubbing them down to bare metal.
you mean your swing arm? if so, your mounting tab is bent, most likely because the bike was dropped. bend it back out so the muffler clears the swingarm.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote