ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 28th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #1
sreisig1
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

2009 Ninja 250 Won't Start, oil change smelled like gasoline

Ok. So I did an oil change and changed the oil filter on my and my wife's 250's. Oil change went smoothly on my bike. When I did the oil change on my wife's bike, the oil came out very thinned out and smelled strongly of gasoline. I replaced the oil filter and put in some new oil. Started the bike up and ran for 5 minutes and it was fine. Two days later it kind of smells like gasoline in my garage and went to start up her bike and it won't kick over and makes a loud noise. Anyone know what could be wrong. It's been one problem after the next with this bike. Bike stalled a couple weeks back and we thought it was due to the battery. Replaced the battery and bike was running fine, but now this issue, so guessing it was this issue all along. Going to try and find a mechanic but idk how to even get the bike there.
sreisig1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreisig1 View Post
............. Two days later it kind of smells like gasoline in my garage and went to start up her bike and it won't kick over and makes a loud noise. Anyone know what could be wrong.........
When the float valves and petcock leak, fuel can slowly overflow the carburetors and flow into the admission valves into the cylinder and down into the oil in the crankcase.

As the oil is contaminated, its lubricating properties are diminished and you could damage the engine very much if keep working with that oil.

Ask your mechanic to verify those two elements against fuel leak when the engine is off and the bike is parked.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #3
sreisig1
ninjette.org member

Well the new oil in the bike hasn't been run that long and the new oil shouldn't be gas contaminated so soon should it?

It's the old oil that I changed out that was run in the bike for god knows how long. Bike started up fine with new oil, but two days later now it won't. So you think the old oil damaged the engine? But why not work now just two days after adding new oil. It was working with the old gasoline smelling oil, I wouldn't have even known unless I did the oil change to find it. Probably was just an issue waiting to happen I guess?

Old April 29th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
How many miles on bike?

I say do a simple check of the petcock. Yank off those two little hoses from the petcock and leave it in the "on" position to see if any gas drips out of it.

Old April 29th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #5
sreisig1
ninjette.org member

Best way I can describe the sound is it sounds like something is hitting or clanking into something else.

Old April 29th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #6
sreisig1
ninjette.org member

Like 5,200 miles

Old April 29th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #7
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

Hopefully gas didn't run down into the cylinder and cause a hydraulic lock damaging the piston and rod. Liquid does not compress. Trailer it to the mechanic.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Test the Petcock for proper operation, then turn your attention to the carburetors, New float valves for sure, for your carburetor needs PM @ducatiman

year of bike? History, modifications? Maintenance schedule?

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #9
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Quote:
Well the new oil in the bike hasn't been run that long and the new oil shouldn't be gas contaminated so soon should it?

It's the old oil that I changed out that was run in the bike for god knows how long. Bike started up fine with new oil, but two days later now it won't. So you think the old oil damaged the engine? But why not work now just two days after adding new oil. It was working with the old gasoline smelling oil, I wouldn't have even known unless I did the oil change to find it. Probably was just an issue waiting to happen I guess?
If the float in the carb is stuck, gas can slowly leak into your engine. It can happen over the course of a few days or as fast as a few hours, meaning that the new oil might already have gas in it. Is the fuel level lower than it was when you did the oil change?

If gas leaked into the cylinder, you can try:
1. removing the tank
2. removing the spark plugs
3. put the bike in gear
4. roll the bike forward and see if gas shoots out of the spark plug holes

This will prevent it from hydrolocking.
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:

Only you can determine what is going on regarding contamination of the old and new oil charges.
Again, it is never good to have fuel mixed with the oil that lubricates both your engine and your transmission, because oil dissolves in gasoline and gasoline is not a lubricant.

The old oil could have been good for long time and contamination could have started just recently before the oil change, who knows.
Now that you have mentioned engine noise, you need to determine what is the source, which could be a bigger problem than the presumable fuel leak into the oil.

Hopefully it is nothing major, in which case, your next step would be testing the petcock and the float valves in order to verify if fuel has actually been leaking down.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #11
sreisig1
ninjette.org member

Well, I had a mechanic look at it. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. I had him clean the crabs and sync them. Bike seems to be running fine and haven't had any issues in the past couple weeks. Thank you all for all your help and quick responses.

Old May 26th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #12
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Is the bike red by any chance? My friend purchased and sold a 2009 in South Jersey within the same month because he complained about making the garage smell like gasoline. He too, took it to a shop and they said nothing was wrong with it.

Old May 26th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #13
sreisig1
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Is the bike red by any chance? My friend purchased and sold a 2009 in South Jersey within the same month because he complained about making the garage smell like gasoline. He too, took it to a shop and they said nothing was wrong with it.
No, it is blue.