ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 7th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #1
jordanc91
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250r

Unhappy Super Rough Idle On my 2007 Ninja 250

So I just bought my first motorcycle ever! And it is great. When i bought it, the guy rode it over so it was fully warmed up for a while so of course when I rode it, it had no problems. Day 2 rolls around when I start it up cold. I pull choke towards me and start it up. Revs high, then rpms shoot down to 0 and bike turns off. Push choke back half way, same thing. Now it gets scary when i start riding and when i pull in the clutch to downshift and slow down to a red light, the bike dies!. With choke in or out it doesn't matter. Sometimes when it dies, I turn it on, crack the thottle and it dies before any movement. Even in Arizonas 115 degree heat, the bike takes 15 min of high speed riding to fully warm up and even then sometimes it dies (not as often but sometimes). I ran seafoam through the gas tank, changed oil and ran a little seafoam through oil. I gave the bike to my motorcycle mechanic co worker, he cleaned the carbs, synced them, checked the idle mixture screw, etc and could not find anyway to fix it. Now when i ride when im slowing down i have to crack the throttle open everytimne the bike gets close to dying. Another probelm is, when the bike is warmed up, it idles at 4-5k. If i lower it below that, it dies. Anyone have any solution???
jordanc91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanc91;1110292 [B
I gave the bike to my motorcycle mechanic co worker, [/B]he cleaned the carbs, synced them, checked the idle mixture screw, etc and could not find anyway to fix it. Now when i ride when im slowing down i have to crack the throttle open everytimne the bike gets close to dying. Another probelm is, when the bike is warmed up, it idles at 4-5k. If i lower it below that, it dies. Anyone have any solution???
and he gave it back to you running like that?

I'd urge to check for:
*vacuum hose misrouted, not connected.... creating a vac leak
*is the vac hose connected at the petcock?
*re-examine the carb work performed...your guy didn't do the job he claimed he did...not in a malicious sense...but he had to have missed important functions
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15

And add valve adjustment to your list of things to do, this is a must do item.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Name: O

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanc91 View Post
If i lower it below that, it dies. Anyone have any solution???
oh boy, you were in my exact shoes when I first got mine. I have the same bike. Same issues when I first got it and a complete newb. It’s been a year and I’m still tweaking it.

Unfortunately some sellers with old bikes prey on newbies, because you aren’t able to spot issues so they sell for more money than what it's worth.

For me, It turned out to be issue after issue, we also did a valve adjustment, but it’s great that you cleaned the carbs! That's a big deal.

Do you know how to adjust the idle. It’s a cap screw sticking out under the seat. That controls the idle. Turning it down should let it idle lower if the carbs are good.

Also, I urge you to be mindful. At first, it was hard and sometimes dangerous to practice on my bike because of all the issues for someone who isn't skilled yet. Keep calm. And try to fix these issues before riding if you're not comfortable. Mind you, I fell off my bike on a low speed turn when I first got it because of being unfamiliar with these mechanical issues. I slammed the brakes on a turn from too much throttle, which is surefire for a lowside. So make sure you're comfortable, not panicked, and wear gear.

Those high RPMs freaked me out early on, but with practice you get to understand and now I understand what my bike is doing.

Your bike is probably "rideable" with skill, but you have to be familiar with what it's doing. You may be releasing the clutch too early and you may need to give it high RPMs at low speed.

Does your title have an S on it, meaning it was totaled and salvaged? That will give a clue as to how bad this could be. Mine was.
Omarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #5
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
just for fun...here's a 1991 CBR600F2 came to me..would not idle AT ALL without full choke.

Carbs plugged up...old downdraft Keihins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0u...ature=youtu.be

Old June 8th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #6
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Name: O

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
just for fun...here's a 1991 CBR600F2 came to me..would not idle AT ALL without full choke.

Carbs plugged up...old downdraft Keihins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0u...ature=youtu.be
WOW! Listen to that
Omarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #7
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
the owner, a young fella, picking up tomorrow afternoon.

Between the carb work, clutch adjustment and brake fluid change/bleed...he'll be very happy at the transformation. He just bought it ..sat for a year or more.

I test rode (with owner permission, of course) for 15-20 miles...nice little FUN bike.

Did you notice ..its running without tank...from fuel in the hanging coffee can?

Gut shot of the carbs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f2-4.JPG (135.8 KB, 12 views)

Last futzed with by ducatiman; June 9th, 2016 at 04:53 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.