ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 20th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #1
PloXyZeRO
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

New fairings, and a few more questions?

Hello! New to these forums, just got my first bike, a black 2008 Ninja 250R, about two weeks ago. I dropped it on my third day! The bike already had scratches and a couple of cracks on the right side, but when I dropped it, it punched a hole out where the front left turn signal is, so I currently have that piece held in with gorilla tape, lol. Pretty much every fairing on the bike has some sort of crack now, so I was wondering where I could get some new fairings without paying a fortune?

I've seen some full sets for about $400...but I'm not sure if I should trust it. No way I would want to pay $800 for the genuine fairings though. $400 I wouldn't mind paying too much, however.

I also have bent handlebars, a bent gear shifter, and a broken front left turn signal. An Amazon, they were about $60, $40, and $40, respectively. Is there anywhere where I can get those parts cheaper?

I know I could bend the shifter back into shape, but I would just rather get a new one.

My bike also has weird idle patterns (either idles at about 1k or 3.5k when I adjust the idle speed, can't get it anywhere inbetween), and hangs in the higher revs before coming back down. My friend thinks this is due to dirty carbs. Should I try seafoam to see if that would help?
PloXyZeRO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Other members of this forum, ebay, craigslist, and partsninja are good sources of cheaper parts. I recommend only replacing what is necessary to keep the bike in a working, legal condition and save the rest for when you have more experience with the bike in case you drop it again.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
to ninjette!

Check the Marketplace here for parts for the newgen: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Next best bet is to scour ebay for the used pieces. I found it helps to know the part number (found through the parts diagram on BikeBandit or KawasakiPartsHouse -both a good source for new parts) and search for that.

The trouble with non-OEM or Chinese made fairings is going to be fitment. Sometimes you luck out and the mold is perfect other times it doesn't line up correctly. Search around here for Chinese fairings as some members have had luck getting ones that work.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #4
PloXyZeRO
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Thanks for the tips!
While I was planning on getting new fairings, I wasn't planning on replacing them until just before I sell the bike. Just wanted to get another full set now so I don't have to worry about them later!

I'll do a bit of scavenging around these forums to see what other fairings people have used in the past before I make a decision
PloXyZeRO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #5
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
If you're not going to sell for a while, just keep an eye on craigslist or the forums; those are where I've gotten the best deals. You'll run across good deals if you're patient.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #6
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

It pretty easy to clamp and reglue ( ABS ) cracked fairing parts. Fixing them is much less expensive than replacing them and probably a better idea for a new rider. Also if you aren't going to replace the fairing parts until you sell it you likely won't get the return on your investment compared with selling it in good running condition but with some crash damage. Enjoy your Ninjette and be careful.