ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1
play2pwn
Only the good die young

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r SE

slip ons

Hi fellow members

Im wondering if its a must to rejet my bike if im gonna get just a slipon and im torn between a yoshi and hmf exhaust

And btw my bike only have 320 miles on it
play2pwn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Not a must, but a good damn idea.

Old April 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #3
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

not sure about rejetting but w/ my experience w/ my jardine rt5 s/o it's a must to shim at least.believe me!

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Don't know about yoshi or hmf but my mgp growler didn't require a rejet.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #5
play2pwn
Only the good die young

I heard a lot of good things about MGP exhaust but the design doesnt look appealing to me

Yoshi and HMF are the only ones ive narrowed down to since i can custom the HMF pipe colors

thanks to kkim DIY polishing the rims gave me the idea of runnin a stainless Yoshi or Stainless HMF.

is it a newbie friendly jetting my own bike? new rider here and also his 1st bike i already popped two fuse tryin to add led lights lol.

Old April 8th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #6
kkim

shim the carb needles. read this DIY and see if you're capable of doing this...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #7
play2pwn
Only the good die young

I don't think I have the courage to do that kkim, lol

so no need to rejet? just shim the needles?

what about the airfilters?

I wanna increase the performance a lil bit w/o spending so much money I just need enough acceleration so I'll feel more comfy hitting the freeway. the speed limit is 65mph here in vegas but most people run to 75-90mph everyday.

A lot of people told me why a 250r

I told im a total newbie and from what ive heard its capable of takin freeways with no problem and fuel efficient.

Old April 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #8
kkim

shimming is rejetting. anytime you change the air/fuel ratio, you are rejetting.

shimming is the easiest of all the rejetting you can do to your bike. if you don't feel comfortable to shim it, what were you going to do about "rejetting"??? have a dealer do it?

if you are new to riding, ride the bike, as is, for awhile before making any changes to it so you can get a good idea of it's strengths and weaknesses.

Old April 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by play2pwn View Post
Hi fellow members

Im wondering if its a must to rejet my bike if im gonna get just a slipon and im torn between a yoshi and hmf exhaust

Yes. Your bike likes a particular air/fuel mix. By adding an exhaust you are changing the air part of that ratio. My increasing the air flow, you will be making your bike more lean, and that is hard on an engine. To balance it out, you will need to change the fuel part of the ratio, too, or your bike won't run to its potential. You do that with shimming the needles, putting in new needles or changing the jets. With a slipon, you can probably just shim the needles since the change in airflow isn't that great.

Exhaust manufacturers that say you can run without changing your carbs are blowing exhaust up your *ss to keep you from getting intimidated. Either their exhaust doesn't do jack to your airflow (in which case, what is the point?) or it does. And if it does, you need to change fuel flow. And it shouldn't be intimidating - I was able to change needles and jets on my bike with zero experience thanks to some good DIYs on this forum and some great pics kkim posted on his breakdown process.

But that said, think twice before spending money on that slipon. Make sure you have a full set of gear first. Then think about riding stock for a couple thousand miles and getting used to the bike. After that if you want to upgrade, move to the full exhaust. Much better value and performance improvement can be found there. The slipon is a 1/4 measure at 3/4 of the cost.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #10
play2pwn
Only the good die young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Yes. Your bike likes a particular air/fuel mix. By adding an exhaust you are changing the air part of that ratio. My increasing the air flow, you will be making your bike more lean, and that is hard on an engine. To balance it out, you will need to change the fuel part of the ratio, too, or your bike won't run to its potential. You do that with shimming the needles, putting in new needles or changing the jets. With a slipon, you can probably just shim the needles since the change in airflow isn't that great.

Exhaust manufacturers that say you can run without changing your carbs are blowing exhaust up your *ss to keep you from getting intimidated. Either their exhaust doesn't do jack to your airflow (in which case, what is the point?) or it does. And if it does, you need to change fuel flow. And it shouldn't be intimidating - I was able to change needles and jets on my bike with zero experience thanks to some good DIYs on this forum and some great pics kkim posted on his breakdown process.

But that said, think twice before spending money on that slipon. Make sure you have a full set of gear first. Then think about riding stock for a couple thousand miles and getting used to the bike. After that if you want to upgrade, move to the full exhaust. Much better value and performance improvement can be found there. The slipon is a 1/4 measure at 3/4 of the cost.
thank you for clearing things up and as far as gear goes I already have my set of gear before I got my bike I've just waited to see the comparison between the cbr250r and the 250r.

the ninja wins by style and performance the only drawback its not FI.

I already talked to a friend he's gonna help shim the needles maybe next week
he just told me that he got 3 bikes in his garage so having this forum and his knowledge will result positively. =)

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #11
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9465

Old April 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #12
play2pwn
Only the good die young

Thanks for the link kelly

Now where do i get this washers? And what size? 2 washers for a slip on can?
Can i put 2 washers on stock exhaust while waiting for my can to arrive?
And the fuse of the bike too, lol.

Old April 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #13
kkim

use 3mm or SAE #4 washers.

hardware store should have them. if not, ebay does.

2 washers on a stock bike should work. add another when the slip on comes, if you think it needs it. (most likely will)

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #14
U5er
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Hi Guys/Gals,

Rather than create a new thread I thought I'd ask my question here.

See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHezP...eature=related

I am thinking about buying a slipon for more noise. I don't care about more performance, or rejetting or tuning anything. I literally just want to replace my cheap sounding stock exhaust. I have been trying to find audio clips of the different sounds each make/model outputs. So far, the slipon in the video sounds the best to me. My budget is less than $200.

Question: Has anyone ever seen a WWR Extreme slipon? What slipons do you guys recommend?
U5er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #15
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

^ I haven't heard of a WWR. But if noise is your main concern, MGP growler will have you covered and are pretty easy to find used for your budget. I've heard one in person and it's LOUD, you can literally hear it coming a mile away. And this is coming from someone who use to have a straight pipe on a harley...
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #16
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
shimming is rejetting. anytime you change the air/fuel ratio, you are rejetting.
No, it isnt.
Rejetting involves not only changing out the main jet which affects your midrange, and top end...but also changing out the pilot jets as well, which affect the idle to low end. Also, adjusting the idle mixture, and changing the needles...and then there is the carb sync. And if you are racing you might be drilling out the slides to get rid of the constant velocity.

Nearly everyone half-arses the job and only changes the main jet...or washers the needles....but that in no way is a "rejet"
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #17
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Just to let you know, If I can go back in time so I can tell myself to get a full system I will.

Don't get me wrong I love my HMF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrhbG...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaiwu...eature=related
here are some vids, might get you an idea on how loud it is.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #18
U5er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
^ I haven't heard of a WWR. But if noise is your main concern, MGP growler will have you covered and are pretty easy to find used for your budget. I've heard one in person and it's LOUD, you can literally hear it coming a mile away. And this is coming from someone who use to have a straight pipe on a harley...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad you replied because that sound is EXACTLY what I'm NOT looking for. I don't like the deep, throaty, growling, straight pipe type of sound. I like more of a screeching/turbo type. Hard to describe haha. The 2:00 mark on the video I posted is what Im looking for. I see a lot of people riding Yoshi's -- why?

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #19
U5er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Just to let you know, If I can go back in time so I can tell myself to get a full system I will.

Don't get me wrong I love my HMF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrhbG...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaiwu...eature=related
here are some vids, might get you an idea on how loud it is.
Hmm, the one on the 2008 Ninja sounds pretty sweet. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also really like the Akrapovic. See the 0:50 mark for the sound I'm looking for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PrRzjpAZSs

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #20
kaiserz

I always get compliments from how good it sounds, and every time I meet up with my friends they know I'm coming (; (also try taking the snorkel out too, it sounds sweet, but don't forget to shim the needles )

Dude I'm pretty sure I know what kind of bike you're gonna upgrade to, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ch6w...el_video_title "1:30"

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #21
U5er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
I always get compliments from how good it sounds, and every time I meet up with my friends they know I'm coming (; (also try taking the snorkel out too, it sounds sweet, but don't forget to shim the needles )

Dude I'm pretty sure I know what kind of bike you're gonna upgrade to, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ch6w...el_video_title "1:30"
Damn that sounds awesome.

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #22
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

i got a quote on insurance for the daytona.....omfgoodness....it's 10% of my salary
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #23
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5er View Post
Damn that sounds awesome.
I know. . . it's pure seks...

and damn! 10% of your salary! I don't know how much your salary is, but you "put on salary" means you're getting a lot of money than the "per hour" people. . . (That means I need to study and get an awesome paying job to get it!)

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #24
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

salary = over worked & under paid
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #25
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet08 View Post
salary = over worked & under paid
You got that right...it also means when the hourly folks get their raises, you wont because...afterall your on salary, and if they start making cuts...they dont look at the hourly employees that actually make more than you for less work...they start wacking away at the salary folks.

If your employer wants to put you on salary, say ok, but i want a yearly review with raise based on hours worked and performance.

Most of us salary workers do overtime like its free, and never get payed any extra for it...even though its illegal for them to do that.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #26
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

if slip on akrapovic is the sexiest
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #27
kaiserz

I feel you guys ): I'm salaried too. and yes it is more hours less pay D:

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #28
ninjaknobs
ninjaknobs

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by play2pwn View Post
Hi fellow members

Check out my album, i bought a hmf carbon slip-on when i first got my bike. It sounds awesome.. deep and crackles/pops when you quickly back off the throttle. I bought on ebay claiming it was made for a ninja 250, put it on it didn't quite reach the exhaust hanger so i used a longer bolt. Stock muffler weighs 12 lbs i think.. hmf 4 ! big savings.
I decided to buy a yoshimura stainless steel full exhaust down the road, the header is really nice.. sounds good hmf sounded a tad better but i think the yoshi looks/fits better. actually i'm listing the hmf on ebay this weekend, along with yoshimura black bar ends.
re-jetting is highly recommended, i bought a k+n filter and dynojet stage 2 kit. Kit said to remove "snorkel" in the airbox to allow more air in. Big job let me tell you, have a pic in my album of my big tore in half haha. With dad's help, installed #98 main jets and needles from the kit. Put it all back together and WOW low end/midrange is almost double and high rpms up to redline pulls great.. doesn't fall on its face. If you want to spend a little extra.. get the yoshi full exhaust, it removes both catalytic converters to breathe better
ninjaknobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #29
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

take a look a leo vince -i use them on all my bikes -they make good power and have quality finish-super loud with baffle out -sounds ok with baffle in
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote