ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:51 AM   #1
The Red Scourge
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): '76 Yamaha RD400, '71 Kawasaki G3SS, '88 Honda CBR400RR, '90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

A Few Questions About Replacing Brake Rotors

I apologize ahead of time if this has already been covered. I can't find this info by searching. My front rotor is warped and I'm about to replace it with a Galfer Wave rotor. Do I need to replace the pads at the same time? I have a lot of life left in them. I can't find anything conclusive regarding this. Also, is there a need to replace the rotor retaining bolts when replacing a rotor? I was at a shop yesterday having my rear tire replaced. I was talking to one of the guys about replacing my rotor and he mentioned that those bolts are expensive. Is there a reason to do that? Thanks in advance.

Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
My 2˘,

Personally I would replace the pads as well with some name brand HH ones. Also while your in the neighborhood take the time to disassemble, inspect, clean the caliper. And flush and fill with new brake fluid.

Remember it's your safety, so what's it worth to you in the end.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:16 PM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Scourge View Post
I apologize ahead of time if this has already been covered. I can't find this info by searching. My front rotor is warped and I'm about to replace it with a Galfer Wave rotor. Do I need to replace the pads at the same time? I have a lot of life left in them. I can't find anything conclusive regarding this. Also, is there a need to replace the rotor retaining bolts when replacing a rotor? I was at a shop yesterday having my rear tire replaced. I was talking to one of the guys about replacing my rotor and he mentioned that those bolts are expensive. Is there a reason to do that? Thanks in advance.

They are just bolts, not very expensive, no reason to replace.

Used pads should be fine, probably just clean the caliper up all that jazz, scuff the pads up a just a bit (using some method ?? IDK someone else can give details) so that they can bed with the new rotor better. Replacing the pads is never a bad idea and probably recommended but if you are on a tight budget what I mentioned above should be fine

No reason to replace the front rotor bolts either they are GTG

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:31 PM   #4
The Red Scourge
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): '76 Yamaha RD400, '71 Kawasaki G3SS, '88 Honda CBR400RR, '90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post

They are just bolts, not very expensive, no reason to replace.
That's what I was thinking! Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will definitely consider replacing the pads too.

Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:26 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe the guy was thinking of head bolts or something

Old January 22nd, 2015, 11:45 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I know when I did mine, I found out that Kawasaki used Red Loctite on the rotor bolts, so the first one was a pain, the other weren't thanks to my torch

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2015, 01:24 AM   #7
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Pads aren't expensive so i would replace them with the new rotor, and depending on how you bed them in they can take a few hundred miles to feel normal again.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote