ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:17 PM   #1
LoveYellow
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tiger

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

AfterMarket Exhaust?

I have a Ninja 250r 2009 and has stock exhaust. The sound from the stock is barely hearable from nearby cars. I live in Maryland and i know that there is a law that limits certain "loudness" to an exhaust. Does anyone know any aftermarket exhaust that is affordable "Cheap" and is legal in Maryland? I was thinking about getting a MGP Exhaust which is loud af but i dont want to get pulled over by the po po. Anyone live in Maryland?

Max sound levels in Maryland:
1)1975-1978: 82-86dBA
2)after 1979: 78-82dBA
LoveYellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #2
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Just some comments and thoughts:

You generally have two types of exhausts: Slipons, which are mostly just a muffler, and full systems. A full system can give some admirable performance gains, a slipon will mostly just change your sound.

By my reference a stock Ninja 300 is 89db at 5000 RPMs. The stock Ninja 250 is 93db. So according to that with your numbers 'legally' you're already in trouble.

Why do you want the exhaust to be louder? What kind of tone/sound do you want?

As for police pulling you over: So long as you HAVE a muffler and aren't being a jerk generally you'll be just fine; I've ridden in Virginia, Texas, California, Oregon, and Washington with no problems.

Aside: my universal suggestion for a NewGen 250 is the AreaP, which is a full system. You'd need to rejet but will get a very nice even tone and a significant response improvement. But it's not on the cheaper end so may be out of your budget and not what you're looking for.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #3
LoveYellow
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Just some comments and thoughts:

You generally have two types of exhausts: Slipons, which are mostly just a muffler, and full systems. A full system can give some admirable performance gains, a slipon will mostly just change your sound.

By my reference a stock Ninja 300 is 89db at 5000 RPMs. The stock Ninja 250 is 93db. So according to that with your numbers 'legally' you're already in trouble.

Why do you want the exhaust to be louder? What kind of tone/sound do you want?

As for police pulling you over: So long as you HAVE a muffler and aren't being a jerk generally you'll be just fine; I've ridden in Virginia, Texas, California, Oregon, and Washington with no problems.

Aside: my universal suggestion for a NewGen 250 is the AreaP, which is a full system. You'd need to rejet but will get a very nice even tone and a significant response improvement. But it's not on the cheaper end so may be out of your budget and not what you're looking for.
I was looking for a slip on exhaust. My ninja 250r does not really make a lot of noise as compared to many bikes i have heard like the cbr300. I really like the sound of the Cbr300 cause it has a rumble sound with a lower tone to it. My friend use his exhaust to allow people to hear him when he goes down the street by revving the engine. I dont want it too be super loud but loud enough when I rev the engine people would at least notice me.

Old July 4th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #4
britx303
ninjette.org member

Name: AJK

Motorcycle(s): TOOOOOO MANY!!

Nobody will EVER check the dB levels here. We don't go through emissions for bikes in MD,so you will ever have an issue. Run what you want to on it
britx303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #5
LoveYellow
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britx303 View Post
Nobody will EVER check the dB levels here. We don't go through emissions for bikes in MD,so you will ever have an issue. Run what you want to on it
Aight Thank you very much

Old July 4th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I've never heard of anyone in Oregon getting pulled over for loud exhaust (though some assholes deserve it). The only situation that might be a concern is if they pull you over for something else and use a loud exhaust to add on penalty if they don't like you.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #7
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Have you seen Harley riders..... there bikes are WAY LOUD.... and they are trying to give crap to us sportbikes.... Anyways I would suggest and of the well known brands.... I have a TYGA Full Exhaust and couldnt be happier.

Old July 5th, 2016, 06:58 AM   #8
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYellow View Post
I was looking for a slip on exhaust. My ninja 250r does not really make a lot of noise as compared to many bikes i have heard like the cbr300. I really like the sound of the Cbr300 cause it has a rumble sound with a lower tone to it. My friend use his exhaust to allow people to hear him when he goes down the street by revving the engine. I dont want it too be super loud but loud enough when I rev the engine people would at least notice me.
Don't expect your Ninja to sound like the CBR. CBR has one big cylinder where your Ninja 250 has two smaller ones.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #9
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Also, exhaust noise isn't going to get people to notice you where it counts, which is ahead of you. I see Harleys fairly often, they're virtually silent when approaching, then as and after they pass...BLAAP BLAAP BLAAP BLAAP. Yeah, I notice their sound, but not before it's too late to change anything.

Change your sound for YOU, don't get tricked into thinking it will help keep you safer.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 5th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Don't think the sound of your revs is going to get you out of trouble, skills are far more important. If it's just a modification you want cause it's your style then go for it. Otherwise, don't think it can be used as a safety mech. Seen too many videos of people reeving their bikes before a crash instead of concentrating on maneuvering the bike.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #11
Ryan_005
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post

Seen too many videos of people reeving their bikes before a crash instead of concentrating on maneuvering the bike.
I was honestly thinking the same thing.... seen way to many of those videos and they try and blame the other person.... well its your fault for not doing something other than revving your engine..... wasting time.

Old July 5th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #12
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

^^^ya, that stuff up there. Loud pipes don't save lives. There is an exhaust that peaked my interest (only read 2 reviews on it) its a full stainless steel exhaust by a brand called MMG. Its 190$ shipped but the thing is I can't find any sound clips of it or any reviews after the exhaust has been used for a while.

Aside from that I would say go with the usual brands for slip-ons (two brothers, Yoshi, area p, etc) plenty of sound clips/ reviews for you to choose from. They aren't cheap though, as they say you must pay to play.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #13
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

I had a two brothers on my old 250. Previous owner put it on. Damn thing made my ears bleed it was so loud. The bike was so much better when I ditched it. I could actually hit 11k without hearing damage.

Old July 8th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #14
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
I've never heard of anyone in Oregon getting pulled over for loud exhaust (though some assholes deserve it). The only situation that might be a concern is if they pull you over for something else and use a loud exhaust to add on penalty if they don't like you.
true, even at OMRRA, the last I rode there was 102db, Florence dunes on the quads I think was 87 and was also checked regularly back in the '90s.
Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote