ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 24th, 2024, 03:17 PM   #1
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250

Electrical problem

Hey guys I just recently been having some problems with my ninja running that I believe to be electrical. Once it’s running for a short period it will cut off I noticed that the battery is also drawing down extremely quick when this happens. I just did the VRM mod and converted it over bc I thought that was my issue.also when I pull the main 30 amp fuse or have the ignition in the off position I don’t have a huge draw. I have a good 14.2 volts while it’s running and my stator ohms out good,( I’m going to meg my stator coils tmr after work after I let it warm up but I don’t really want to believe that’s my problem and it seems unlikely since the bike is charging ) but something just drains the battery down super quick after it runs a little while.
Mikevest99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2024, 04:07 PM   #2
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

I changed the stator out and the voltage regulator but still after the bike runs for a little while it will just die on me. Next thing I’m going to look at the valves again and read the plugs after but the last time I looked at them right after this they were tan and seems like they were fine not flooded or anything … I have had the carbs cleaned by Ducati man so I’m pretty sure they are in good order is it possible my boots are leaking or something another thing I noticed is the bike will stay running at high idle or with the choke on .

Old March 30th, 2024, 04:08 PM   #3
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

I’m going to wrap it up for today but i will check voltage again after a start and see if the battery drops like it did previously and then I will post an update tmr .

Old March 30th, 2024, 04:30 PM   #4
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

Basically I have had this problem for a while after my ninja was sitting I had ran some bad gas through it so I decided to clean the carbs out put the carbs on and still had the same problem. Bike kills out after idling I’m thinking about ordering new boots in case the boots are damaged from removing multiple times I got pretty rough with them the last couple times. Can the boots to the air box leak enough to stop the bike from producing good vaccum? I gave up thinking I didn’t do the carbs right but I have done the job before with good results. Installs the new carbs form ducatiman and same issue. I’m usually pretty good at trouble shooting but for some reason I feel like I’m chasing a ghost

Old March 30th, 2024, 04:37 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Is there any chance the petcock isn't flowing enough? Have you checked its output?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2024, 04:30 PM   #6
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Is there any chance the petcock isn't flowing enough? Have you checked its output?
Funny you said this I checked with my vacuum pump the aftermarket pet cock won’t hold vacuum I have a rebuild kit for the old one. I’m think this could be causing the problem with take pet cock out of equation and plug vacuum line will update

Old April 5th, 2024, 04:23 PM   #7
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikevest99 View Post
Funny you said this I checked with my vacuum pump the aftermarket pet cock won’t hold vacuum I have a rebuild kit for the old one. I’m think this could be causing the problem with take pet cock out of equation and plug vacuum line will update
Also so happens my original petcock must have been aftermarket bc the one I’m trying to rebuild doesn’t facilitate the factory rebuild kit

Old April 6th, 2024, 12:49 PM   #8
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

So I have taken the petcock out of the equation and fuel tank and it ran for a good bit longer and actually got up to half way on the temperature gauge so maybe I was having fuel issues but taking that out of the equation once it’s getting up to half way temperature it’s still dieing so I’m going to look at my valves again and check them out maybe I adjusted while hot when I should’ve while cool I’m also going to take pictures of the lobes and chain and count out to make sure everything is good there. Also I wanted to note that when trying to adjust the idle down it won’t go under 2k otherwise it bogs down and dies out and almost surges a little not a lot. I’m going to let the bike cool down and open up the valves again in the morning.Another note I checked spark after it died out with a plug I had laying around and both coils had good spark

Old April 6th, 2024, 02:16 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

it seems like the problem could be valves or clogged pilot circuits in your carbs.

https://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/s...-passages.html

Old April 14th, 2024, 01:29 PM   #10
Mikevest99
ninjette.org newbie

I cleaned the carbs again but the bike still starts without choke which is odd so I’m going to take them out and put them in my ultrasonic cleaner and make sure I get everything cleaned thoroughly what can I do to check compression and make sure I don’t have a valve that’s not sealing or how do I go about checking the valve bc I did notice that when I did adjust valves that one side of the engine seems to have a stronger compression bc it wanted to move and the other didn’t really have that problem… and both sides should behave the same I would assume if they had similar compression right?

Old April 14th, 2024, 03:41 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Starting cold without the enrichers could mean the idle screws are set a little too rich.

I'm not sure what you mean about compression, but if the compression is within spec, at least the valves are closing. Adjusting the valves is covered in the wiki:
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto