ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
RacerX113
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Thruxton, Ninja 250

Oil change frequency and racing.

For those of you using synthetic oil and only using the bike on the track, how often are you changing your oil?
RacerX113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

i have friends who change every track. i personally do 3 tracks with new oil then change it. fork oil after every 9 tracks.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You're supposed tp change your oil?

Actually I remember changing oil after every race weekend.

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
jp129
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
i have friends who change every track. i personally do 3 tracks with new oil then change it. fork oil after every 9 tracks.
This is my changing regime as well. Except for the fork oil, I do that every season.
jp129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #5
RacerX113
ninjette.org member

Name: Doug

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Thruxton, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
3 track days/race weekends seems pretty reasonable to me. Do you change your filter on the same schedule?

I hadn't even thought about my fork oil. Do you remove the forks to drain or just use a suction device?
RacerX113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX113 View Post
3 track days/race weekends seems pretty reasonable to me. Do you change your filter on the same schedule?

I hadn't even thought about my fork oil. Do you remove the forks to drain or just use a suction device?
I change filter too. It's not too expensive so I think what the hell. That and cause filter always has some old oil left in it. I like the idea of draining as much old oil as I can.

I do remove the forks. I feel it's good practice to be up close to your bike and taking off parts and putting them back on and etc. You get to investigate it a bit more for cracks or things that might seem off.

I also clean the **** out of my rims, chain, swingarm etc every 6 trackdays or so. For the same reason. It let's me take a closer look at all the parts. Make sure there's not too much wear and tear etc.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #7
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I change my Rotella T6 once a year. I do 20-30 days on the track each year. Why change synthetic more often? I do check the oil level religiously.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelGuy View Post
I change my Rotella T6 once a year. I do 20-30 days on the track each year. Why change synthetic more often? I do check the oil level religiously.
That might be pushing it.

T6 is a Group III and shears down pretty quickly in hot weather and hard use (racing). Running T6 at the track is fine, but I don't think you can run it as long as some other synthetics, namely Group IV or Group V Esters.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Oil every 3rd day, filter every 2nd oil change.
Silkolene Comp 4 10/40w Semi Synthetic,

rather new oil than waste money on snake oil.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #10
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

T6 is a Group III and shears down pretty quickly and in hot weather and hard use (racing). Running T6 at the track is fine, but I don't think you can run it as long as some other synthetics, namely Group IV or Group V Esters.
I bought my bike used and over the last 4 years have put over 100 race/track days on the engine. It's still running fine. I checked the compression last week and it's still good. Maybe the engine will last longer if I change the oil more often but I just don't see it being worth the time/effort/expense.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

T6 is a Group III and shears down pretty quickly and in hot weather and hard use (racing). Running T6 at the track is fine, but I don't think you can run it as long as some other synthetics, namely Group IV or Group V Esters.
I ran Delvac 15w40 less than 1400 miles and it sheared(lost 2.7cst) one grade, no track usage and very little hard riding. Just got through running 2800 miles on Delo 400 (50/50 mixture of 30w and 40w) and it had less wear metals, only lost 1cst and had 3.4% fuel dilution, which thins oil viscosity, and that was with over 2x the miles.

Looking into the fuel dilution issue now and when solved I could probably safely run the oil 6k+ miles, and then some, on the street anyway.

+1 on what the others said about changing it more often for track use and I'll tell you why. According to my oil temp gauge, it takes 20 miles(more or less depending on ambient temps) to get the oil up to full operating temp, or the point at which your engine suffers the least wear.

So after a track day, changing the oil/filter rids it of wear metals that you sacrificed in those first few laps that you were giving it the berries!
Sipper' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2013, 07:27 PM   #12
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

20-30 track days on a single oil change is crazy. What is a T6 oil change 10 bucks? Seriously going to cheap out on that of all things. The oil shears down very quickly I bet with fuel dilution its down to a 20wt and at those high rpms its not going to cut it.

My suggestion is Redline motorcycle 10w40 or motul 300v changed every 5 track days. You can do the filter every other change and not sacrifice and protection.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote