Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old January 11th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Wind, Dust, and Rain storms

Why I chose to go riding on the one day this week that it was forecasted to storm is beyond me.

Since the storm was supposed to have extreme winds (20-30 MPH steady and 40+ MPH gusts) plus rain and snow over the passes, I gave up on my idea to head to Yosemite for a park stamp and instead headed north to Gerlach to go visit Iron Butt site along Guru Rd.

The day started off interesting right away, the 30 mile westbound stretch of Hwy 95 between Fallon and Fernley had a solid wall of dust blowing north and pushing me around in my lane. One area was so thick I think I was down to about a 100 feet of visibility. Oddly, once I crossed into Lyon County, the wind decided it no longer liked going north and so switched directions and was now blowing south. Then, just outside Fernley, the wind decided it hated that direction too so switched again to blow nottheast. I was so happy when I got to Wadsworth and made the turn north, at least I had a tail wind for most of the ride.

SR 447 runs along the southeast edge of Pyramid Lake and there was just enough sun to have that beautiful blue body of water sparkle through the constant cloud of dust that was engulfing the road. As I dropped down into the next valley, where the now dry Winnemucca Lake is, the wall of sand and dust eased as I was riding along the foothills and the sand storm was building on the playa to the east of me. I made a quick stop to get some pictures of tufa as i am not sure how many here know what these funky mounds of rock are.

There is only one problem with this particular route, most of it goes through the Pyramid Lake Reservation and for whatever reason the Tribe has set the speed limit at 55. There is one small brief section that leaves the Res and the state takes it back up to 70, but then it reenters Tribal land and when the road straightens out and you have a great view of the rolling landscape before you, that damn 55 sign comes out again. No wonder Google estimated the 70 odd mile trip would take over an hour!

Luckily, the dust finally called down at the edge of Poito Valley, but then the rain started! So now my nice coating of playa dust was turned into a nice coating of desert goo. Ick. The rain stopped before I reached Empire, but the weather was not done. I was now on the southern edge of the Black Rock Desert and the wind has free reign over the playa. The wall of sand and dust was so thick that I came into Gerlach without even seeing it! I stumbled upon Bruno's Country Club where the waiter asked if I'd like a bite to eat or something to drink. "as long as its not dust or mud, anything!" (BTW if you are ever there and hungry, I highly recommend the ravioli.)

Next stop, Guru Rd. Also known as Doobie's Lane, this mile long stretch of dirt road along side the highway is lined with sculptures and flat rocks with a wide variety of writings carved into them. From names and simple bylines to deep philosophical thoughts, Guru Rd has always been one of the curiosities of the desert for me. My favorite art work is the Hang-up Tree, where visitors bring something that represents a hang up in their life to leave it behind and move on.

Unbeknownst to me on my last visit, though I did see it, there is Iron Butt Mountain along the road. A nice path way leads from Guru Rd up and there are rocks carved with the various rides members have done. The clearing is surrounded by license plates, pins, and a list of all the winners of the Rally. But the center is dominated by a memorial to all the riders who have passed on. I am just now beginning to learn the names of these riders and their many accomplishments both on and off the bike. It was a special moment to be there at the place dedicated to them.

Yes, that is all dust in the background. Guru Rd and the highway are on the shore of the Black Rock Desert here. I needed to leave as my asthma was beginning to rear its head. My plan was to continue north to Cederville and head over the pass to Alturas before coming down 395. There is a great 10 mile section through the Buffalo Hills that is nicely twisty. Some of the corners are tight and having a fresh layer of rain water on the road made for a cautious ride, but it was definitely fun. As I approached the California/Nevada border, I looked around and caught sight of an almost complete rainbow with a double rainbow along the legs!

(Stupid me waited to long to pull over and get the better pic.)

Made it to Cederville in the rain and pulled over to put some heat packs in my boots while checking on the webcam for Ceder Pass. At the time I asked, there was enough snow to cover the lines on the road so I bailed on that plan and just headed straight back. Luckily, I was now in between systems and aside from the wind, it was a mild ride back to Gerlach. Decided to stop at Empire to grab coffee and thaw out (sun was setting by this point and the temps were falling faster). The folks at the Empire store are very nice and let me hang out. They've done a lot to the little place to make it more than just a quick grab and go. Nice little seating area, deli counter, and thrift store area have been added as they improve the place.

It was pitch black as I left to head south again. But the clouds parted and the moon shone down on to the dry Winnemucca lake bed, giving the valley a weird blueish tint. No dust, though the wind was still blowing, and only a few patches of drizzle as i made my way home.

Video may not be interesting as I discovered the lens was coated in playa dust, but if I can make anything out of it, I will add it later.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; January 21st, 2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added video
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Thanks, Teri !!!

It looks like Mars' landscape to me when compared to the almost excessive water and vegetation that we have here in Florida.

Coincidentally, we had strong storms and flooding two days ago, with three fatalities.
We had as much as 17" of rain in four hours !!!

Sorry for the derailing

Beautiful rainbow picture !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Great write up an picks... I feel your pain on the dust an sand storms :/ I have been in total red outs, couldn't see your nose or anything else.

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I think 17" would wash everything away! If we get monsoon style rain, it really has no where to go because the soil can't soak it up fast enough. I like the long drizzling rain, slow enough to really soak in and spring growth explodes. Really only seen the desert turn green once after a long wet winter.

I was hoping to get some pics of the playas. The Black Rock is fun to run around on with the truck and I was semi hoping i could get out there with the bike. Its not salt like Bonneville, just a dried out lake bed. REALLY dusty though.

No worry about derailing, whatever topic comes up here is fine by me.

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I have been in total red outs, couldn't see your nose or anything else.
That would suck but I want to go through that just once, just to say i've been in a red out! I've heard of white outs, black outs, and brown outs, but not red. Only red out here is rock not dirt.

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I've been in dust outs in Iraq, Kuwait, an afghan... But nothing compares to when you see a huge redish orange wall coming to engulf everything that was a bad day in Iraq, little sand an dust storms have nothing on the red wall storms. They usually come in the rainy season, when the ground isn't powdered iircc, been to many years and to many places since that day. Check it out on YouTube
Was like being in that scene from mummy

Old January 12th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #7
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Is that a dirt road or is the dust that thick?

I Googled playa and sounds like a real PITA to clean up. I thought it was Spanish for beach. When you need instructions on getting it off your feet, it's not good.

I got caught in the rain bringing my bike back from the dealer. The big drops hitting the face shield was kind of soothing like a white noise sound track. I was concerned because it hasn't rained in ages, but traction was OK.

Last futzed with by algs26; January 12th, 2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice pics! I've only been to Guru Lane once, and didn't have the time you did to enjoy it. Hope to make it back at some point.

(P.S. are you putting your app in for 2015?)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Is that a dirt road or is the dust that thick?

I Google playa and sounds like a real PITA to clean up. I thought it was Spanish for beach. When you need instructions on getting it off your feet, it's not good.

I got caught in the rain bringing my bike back from the dealer. The big drops hitting the face shield was kind of soothing like a white noise sound track. I was concerned because it hasn't rained in ages, but traction was OK.
It's a dirt road. Dust was thick enough to cause small clouds behind cars as they passed but thankfully not enough to cover the pavement.

The BRD is often referred to as a playa even though technically its wrong. Not sure what the real geologic word is, sorry. And yeah, that muck is sticky nasty stuff if it gets wet.

I always worry where I should ride. In heavily used roads, the center hump has all the grease and oil dropped from cars now mixed with water, but the two tire tracks on either side have that same oily water puddled up.

I actually like riding in easy rain storms, its cool, the visor can be cleared off by turning your head, and the landscape looks cool - especially if there are patches of sun out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nice pics! I've only been to Guru Lane once, and didn't have the time you did to enjoy it. Hope to make it back at some point.

(P.S. are you putting your app in for 2015?)
Definitely go back and walk the road. There are a ton of rocks and sculptures that are worth viewing and thinking on.

And nope. After reading numerous ride reports and books and the daily posts I found I am happy on the sidelines and just eating up miles. My brain isn't wired right for rallies. BUT being just down in New Mexico, I hope I can be at the start line to cheer everyone off.

I did sign up for Team Lyle's Silver State Roundup in May, which is an in state BBG.

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
What do you see?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.3 KB, 2 views)

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Someone went a little crazy with the orange spray paint?

Old January 15th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #12
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
at least you got to ride, i dont think i have been on a bike since august for a real ride.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Nope... Sandstorm

Binker, that's along time not to be ridin... What's the hold up?

Old January 21st, 2014, 07:47 PM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Finally got the video finished and added it to the OP. YouTube is processing the music now so if you want wind noise, listen quick or just turn your volume down.