ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #1
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Riders or Collectors?

I had an interesting experience last Sunday that gave me a glimpse of another side of the riding scene.

I was headed out to Royal Distributing, the local gear mega-store, and I happen to get there at exactly closing time (bugger). Following me in were 2 riders, one on a GSXR-750 and one on a 1000. I checked the door, it was already locked, so I went back to chat while they were looking over (ogling) the two Busa's in the parking lot.

The 1k rider had, what looked like a pretty nice bike. He said he cleaned it every weekend, and managed to ride it "a lot". He asked me about my ZX-6R (umm...) and I let him in on our dirty 1/4 Liter secret. He looked utterly shocked and asked me if it was a real motorcycle. My response was the usual "Yep, I go everywhere on this thing, it rocks.". He did compliment the looks, but he actually laughed when I told him about the HP and top speed. He asked if I did any "real" miles on the bike. I told him I've had it for 2 months and I've done 3500km (~ 2200 miles), and again I seem to have shocked him... this time for the better

He admitted he's only about 1000km higher on his bike... his 3 year old bike from 2006. He then went on to make excuses as to why they were so low. He doesn't commute to work with the bike, it's too expensive and he's worried it would get scratched in a parking lot. He's never done a group ride, or taken any trips (you don't do this with a sports bike, you see...). To him the bike was all about the "looks", so you take care of it and ride short trips. This, of course did not slow down the disparaging chatter: "Man, I don't think I could ever ride something that small, my next bike is a Busa!".

His friend had quite a bit more miles on his 750, and he was quiet and seemed to be impressed with the Ninja. He did however offer that if I was doing that many miles I'd probably really like the 750 he rode (I cant' verify if that's true or not, I know nothing about Suzuki's bikes), but he was quite polite about it.

So I guess the question is: Have you seen these collector types before, and are they common?

Old July 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I believe they're commonly referred to as "posers" in the motorcycling community.

But ya they're all over the place. Most of the people I know who have or ever had a motorcycle were of the poser variety. They just go on short trips, and park at the beach or at a timmies with their buddies.

The dood on the 750 may have had a point, though. I hear the seat on those gixxer 750's are HUGE and make highway cruising fairly comfortable.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #3
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I often ride and wonder where's the other riders. HD riders seem to outnumber other riders where I am. The real riders, whether HD or not, are the ones I see during the week, regardless of temperature, early morning or night. They are the ones who always wave back or wave first.

the bike size judges wait for the best weather and hang more than ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #4
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

When we see those guys at the Gap we go ahead and call for an ambulance. Saves time.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

I'm sure the cruiser community has the same people. Some people want a Harley and all the Harley branded gear to look like a "Biker". There are posers in every group, meh each to their own.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I've ran into my fair share of them. I've had a guy look at my bike and shake his head. Not because it was smaller than 600cc, but because it was, get this, DIRTY!!! Oh the humanity!!!!

I don't mind riding a dirty bike. To me a dirty bike is a happy bike. Why is that? Simple, a dirty bike means it is being taken all over the place. No time for cleaning! I have to go on a trip!

I'm afraid that I would turn into a clean freak if I got a ducati, so I may have to stay away from them. I'll stick with the big four, and maybe Triumph, for my next ride. I'll ride the wheels off of it, repair it and do it again.

Then again, the wheels falling off my just be on my li'l 250.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Thats why I'm not a big chrome fan, I'd rather be riding on a dirty bike than endlessly polishing a chrome show bike. Thats probably why I really like the new Iron 883 sportster, its all blacked out as opposed to nice shiny dirt magnet (its also one of the few affordable Harley's). Gotta love powder coated and painted frames.

Oops, sorry I mentioned some dirty words there especially since this site is oriented more towards sport bikes.

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #8
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

lol Mark I've never thought about it like that before, but yea, I guess that's true. I was riding with SmokeDiver a few weeks ago and I remember him saying his bike was dirty because if he had time to clean it, he was going to go for a ride..maybe I should clean my bike less
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

There are alot of those guys in my area too. The group riding-fair weather- weekend warriors who will laugh at anything less than 1000cc's and doesnt weigh at least 650 lbs. I get a kick out of those guys who say I need more chrome or more cc's to power through a turn (depending on which bike I am riding at the time). I tell them how many miles I put on a year and what weather conditions I ride, with someone or not (mostly not) and why my bike is always so dirty - that usually wipes their smug grin off their faces and then you start hearin a whole bunch of excuses why they don't ride like I do.

Definately posers on both sides of the fence (cruiser community and sport bike alike). I just laught it off. It is their loss on such a great life experience.
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeldren View Post
Thats why I'm not a big chrome fan, I'd rather be riding on a dirty bike than endlessly polishing a chrome show bike. Thats probably why I really like the new Iron 883 sportster, its all blacked out as opposed to nice shiny dirt magnet (its also one of the few affordable Harley's). Gotta love powder coated and painted frames.

Oops, sorry I mentioned some dirty words there especially since this site is oriented more towards sport bikes.
i have kind of admired that 883 iron also. i wonder though if it is quality powder coating. i picture it flaking off as time goes by. could be wrong, only time will tell i guess.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #11
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
When we see those guys at the Gap we go ahead and call for an ambulance. Saves time.
Wow, harsh

I'm guessing if people don't take the time to get the practice in, it shows.

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

You should ask the guys that need the big bikes and low mileage to go on a twisty route some time and see if they are any good so they can give you pointers
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #13
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Meh. People ride different miles for different reasons. Several years ago, CYCLE WORLD did a survey and found that the average motorcyclist in the USA only rode an average of about 1000 miles per year.

When I first got into riding in the early 90s, I usually rode about 10,000 miles a year. Now, I still enjoy riding but it doesn't hold the hard core fascination for me that it once did. In the last year I've only rode about 3000 miles, and I make no excuses for it. I ride a lot more than some folks and a lot less than others. All in all, I've rode plenty of miles over the years, and have nothing to prove any more.

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

With the fun, thrills and gas mileage my 250 gives me (and less car maintenance), I'd be stupid to not use it to go back and forth to work with it (which I'm doing)...I'm approaching 4000 KMs on it and it's definitly a toy I want to keep.

Now if I could find a way to get rid of that problem we got here.. something called "snow"....everything would be even better.

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #15
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

I'm one of those 1000 mile a year guys, and I ride mostly on the weekends. I won't ride in the city where I work (Baltimore), so commuting is out of the question. But at one point in my motorcycling career I didn't own a car, and the bike took me everywhere. Now I ride for my own enjoyment, when and where I want.

I wouldn't criticize anyone for their riding habits, except of course if they were unsafe. How and where someone rides is their own business, and I don't think the "poser" label should be applied because you think a person doesn't spend enough time on a motorcycle.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #16
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Truth is most people don't ride very much in the U.S. For people here motorcycles are hobbies not vehicles.

Of most types of bikes and riders I have met, the ones I see rack up the most miles are BMW riders. A lot of people have a lot of different things to say about them, but I see them crank out the miles like crazy. I personally don't like the look or size of the bikes, but they are suposed to be really durable.

I personally ride my bike to get myself from A to B with a little fun on the way. I don't take many rides, unless if I have a reason to go, Time with my family is more important... that and my golf game.

Old July 9th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #17
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Quote:
i have kind of admired that 883 iron also. i wonder though if it is quality powder coating
Ive looked at it up close and it seems fine to me, could be wrong like you said, but I would hope that harley has decent quality control.

Sorry to go off topic.

Old July 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #18
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
You should ask the guys that need the big bikes and low mileage to go on a twisty route some time and see if they are any good so they can give you pointers
+1. And then you'll see the trash talking stop.

And while I'm sure there are posers everywhere - I'm sure there are a lot more in North America simply because we live in such a materialistic society. These are the guys that will ride once a week to stand around and drink coffee in front of their bike. Meanwhile raking up the same mileage in a year or two as some of us do in a month
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote