ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

600rr vs zx6r (price)

Everywhere I've looked, the 600rr is on average at least $1k more than the zx6r.
Same yr, mileage and similar mods.
Is the 600rr a better quality bike?
What's behind the #?
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

This could get nasty....

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I suppose Honda's usually have better reselling value...that goes for everything from cars, lawnmowers, generators, etc.. :P

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Costs of manufacturing, profit margins, supply & demand... 2 companies can build the same exact bike from the same exact parts, but they will most likely cost different amounts due to efficiency of business operations. The higher price doesn't mean the cbr is better or worse either.

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #5
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

I love kawi, and will stay with them forever, however the 600rr is very sexy....
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #6
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I've always thought honda had a better build quality than the other jap bikes. as far as price there is a dealer around me selling left over 09 cbr600 and 09 zx6r both for 6995
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

My dealer was out of ZX6R once they dropped to $7,299. CBR was 8,399 w/o ABS, 9,399 with ABS. I would have bought a ZX if they had them. Without them I was down to CBR600 (3 left), R6S (one left), Monster 696 (many), and FZ1 (many). Ruled out the FZ1 even though it was cheapest, most versatile, and most powerful. Then ruled out the Duc, wanted R6S in black/gold but that color was gone, which left me to CBR. Paid $9K + sales tax, no other fees. All bikes were 2009 models except Duc which was 2010.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #8
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
My dealer was out of ZX6R once they dropped to $7,299. CBR was 8,399 w/o ABS, 9,399 with ABS. I would have bought a ZX if they had them. Without them I was down to CBR600 (3 left), R6S (one left), Monster 696 (many), and FZ1 (many). Ruled out the FZ1 even though it was cheapest, most versatile, and most powerful. Then ruled out the Duc, wanted R6S in black/gold but that color was gone, which left me to CBR. Paid $9K + sales tax, no other fees. All bikes were 2009 models except Duc which was 2010.
Around here left over 09 zx6r=6750
09 600rr w/o abs = 8399
I don't want to buy new because I want the first owner to take the initial depreciation.
How do you like ur rr?

Old June 24th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #9
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Hondas have always had the reputation of being dead reliable, be it bikes or cars.

Personally, for dirtbikes and offroading, I have never considered anything except honda. Every bike I have owned runs amazingly and I beat the hell out of them. My 1994 honda xr80 starts first kick every time and runs flawlessly...it actually runs better then the ninja, and it sits around and gets started 1-2 times a year.

As far as buying new...the honda does hold a little higher msrp then the kawi, however I think what it comes down to most is what the dealers have to pay, and what incentives the manufacturer is offering a dealer. Kawi seems to be good with that since you can often find great deals on them. Honda on the other hand doesn't seems to like to reduce bikes very often from what I have seen, they always try to get top dollar. It seems the same with cars, you hear about rebates and incentives from other companies all the time, but rarely with honda.

Old June 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #10
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Zx6 FTW

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...rticle_id=1431
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
Around here left over 09 zx6r=6750
09 600rr w/o abs = 8399
I don't want to buy new because I want the first owner to take the initial depreciation.
How do you like ur rr?
Like it alot. Still getting used to it. A bit taller and heavier. Mostly affects parking lot and driveway. Strong but smooth power, stable cornering. More leaned over, but not painful.

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #12
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

I ended up with the 09 zx6r based on the reviews. Not too concerned about resale as I don't plan on selling it.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #13
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
I ended up with the 09 zx6r based on the reviews. Not too concerned about resale as I don't plan on selling it.
hey rev, i recognize your name. are u on ss.org?

Old June 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Up in Canada, Hondas are only sold by Honda dealerships now....which means they're usually WAY over priced compared to the competition. The smaller dealerships selling the Suzukis, Kawis, Yamis, etc are usually much more flexible on the pricing and usually have sales. Honda doesn't.

Generally speaking, Honda thinks their bikes are worth a hell of a lot more than everyone else's. The difference in pricing may be due to pressure from the OEM. Whether you buy it or not...well that's entirely up to you.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

CBR's are consistently rated among the top middleweights. Personally, I can't stand the look of the ZX-6.

Old June 25th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #16
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
hey rev, i recognize your name. are u on ss.org?
ss.org? Nope, not me. I'll have to check it out and see who's using my name.

EDIT: ss.org is a computer consulting site. Did you mean this, or does the "ss" stand for something else?

Old June 25th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #17
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Why not get a Yamaha R6? It has cutting-edge technology and mean-looking contemporary styling. I'll take one in Raven, please.
Really, I'm completely sold on the Honda 600RR's ABS brake system, but they don't even seem to have the ABS model 600RR on their web site any longer. Even so, $15000 for a supposedly mass-produced 600cc with a new technology is unreal. My first new car cost a quarter of that.
$11199 for a non-ABS model seems steep too when you compare it to 2 Suzuki 650s that cost under $8000 or an R6 at under 11k. I've owned a couple of Yamahas and their reliability and build quality is second to none. In fact I'm hoping to snag an FZ6 before the last model year made disappears from "new non-current stock" at dealers everywhere.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #18
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
, $15000...My first new car cost a quarter of that.
Sorry, I just had to point out - you're an old fart if you bought a new car for $3,750

Old June 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #19
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Sorry, I just had to point out - you're an old fart if you bought a new car for $3,750
Well, it was a VW bug. Now get off my lawn!

Old June 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #20
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Why not get a Yamaha R6? It has cutting-edge technology and mean-looking contemporary styling. I'll take one in Raven, please.
Really, I'm completely sold on the Honda 600RR's ABS brake system, but they don't even seem to have the ABS model 600RR on their web site any longer. Even so, $15000 for a supposedly mass-produced 600cc with a new technology is unreal. My first new car cost a quarter of that.
$11199 for a non-ABS model seems steep too when you compare it to 2 Suzuki 650s that cost under $8000 or an R6 at under 11k. I've owned a couple of Yamahas and their reliability and build quality is second to none. In fact I'm hoping to snag an FZ6 before the last model year made disappears from "new non-current stock" at dealers everywhere.
Hey Wayne I see the 2010 RR w/ABS in Red/Blk only on the web site right now. Dealer had 2009 R6 including raven (my fave color in the R6) but taller seat height, least low end, and toughest ergos (though best looking bike IMO) left me looking at the R6S but they were out of raven in that. Same dealer had just received a few brand new 2009 FZ6 also (not the FZ6R, though they had them too). I was avoiding the Honda due to pricing, but they were offering money off, and next thing I know that was what I was buying.

Old June 26th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #21
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

seat height on the r6 is my concern.
I am short.
So, I've narrow it down to safety and comfort.
I don't care about the performance cuz I know all 600cc bikes are similar in performance to an average person. I'm going to check out a 09 zx6r later today.

Old June 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #22
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
seat height on the r6 is my concern.
I am short.
So, I've narrow it down to safety and comfort.
I don't care about the performance cuz I know all 600cc bikes are similar in performance to an average person. I'm going to check out a 09 zx6r later today.
GSXRs seem to have the most comfortable seat overall, but the current model is showing it's age terribly. With the R6 it always feels like you're on top of the thing the way a jockey is on top of a horse, and never really a part of it. The CBR is OK, sorta the Swiss army knife of the crowd (good at everything, but expert at none). The 675 tripple is different, but way over priced and I felt like I was shifting A LOT.

The ZX6, though, is the most advanced of the common crowd, and even the '10s in the other manufacturers haven't caught up (well, count the GSXR out, there's no '10 model!!). Closed the gap, yes, but the slightly tweaked '10 ZX6 still bests the 600 crowd. And yes, the average rider CAN notice the difference (even on the street), especially in the way the suspension responds and the way the bike handles.

The usual trend is to revamp the bikes on about a 2 year schedule(mostly to support professional/semi-pro racing), but with the global economy like it is, I'm not sure that you could give away an '11 totally reworked and amped in price, no matter how much better you could make it......short of completely revolutionizing the entire bike world with some amazing new technology....no matter who's name was on it. I'm thinking that current tech levels and configurations are gonna stay relatively the same for a few more years, and race support is what's gonna benefit from the 'new' stuff through piece parts being released/track tested in advance of incorporation into a whole new model, at least until the common man in the general market can again afford cutting edge design/tech in bikes. It's happened before. That bodes well for the Kawi since it's well established with the current model in the 600 market. I guess what we'll see again is convergant evolution as the other bikes notch up and the only real difference again becomes who's name is on the VIN plate as manufacturer and color choice. Racing demand or not, I'm thinking the state of the economy won't support much more. Bread and butter is the actual sales of bikes to normal people, not race teams. Suzuki sales are down so bad over the last few years that they gave up the 2010 model year, with many dealers still having left over '08s on the floor! Kawi is not delivering 2010 bikes until they sell the 2009s, doing a 1-for-1 with their dealers (sell an '09, get a '10 for your showroom). Honda all but had to give away the left over '09 CBR1000s for right at dealer cost to get rid of 'em with all the bad press about leaks and all.........Who's next?

Aftermarket is having a heck of a time getting any more out of the new ZX6R. Add a Power Commander V, full exhaust, free flow air filter, some stickier tires, and some dyno time, and you're $2300.00+ for about 12-15 more horsepower up top (above 13K RPM), with very little gain in torque (although it does seem to smooth out the torque curves somewhat overall). Money best spent on the thing is better tires (although the stock BT016s are really good) and in actually putting sensible springs in the front/rear suspension that not only match rates, but are spec'd for the more 'common man' rather than 'most common parts in our inventory'.

Other than that, most of the aftermarket is saying that it'll take all of the above, AND cams AND other engine internals to get anything more out of it, and not a lot of that will be very useful on the street. For now, tires, stainless braided brake lines/better HH pads, and a slip-on to drop some weight are about all most are doing performance wise, with dyno numbers coming in about 115 at the rear wheel (won't need a PCV until you go with a full system). Most everything else is cosmetic.

I found the '09 GSXR the most comfortable for me mostly because of the way the seat narrows up by the tank and the softer foam, and I'm 6 foot with a 34 inch inseam, but there is definately a performance difference you can feel between the other 600s and the ZX6. The CBR was WAAAAYYYY over priced, and the R6 just felt all wrong, the GSXR takes too much tinkering to bring it up to where I wanted to be, and the 675 tripple just wasn't "ME"......and besides, the price I got on a new, left over GREEN '09 ZX6R in February was AMAZING!!! Still some great deals out there!

I wouldn't trade my '09 ZX6R for anything out there right now from the big 5 (triumph, honda, suzuki, kawasaki, yamaha) in the 600 class, and YES, I have ridden them to compare.

Last futzed with by Banzai; June 26th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #23
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

I didn't much like the GSXR600 either, for the tiny price bump the 750 was so much more bike and much more comfortable.

Old June 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #24
mighty
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike Clarke

Motorcycle(s): None yet

No comparison between Honda and Kawasaki. Honda is by far better reputation in the market in terms of quality and resell value.

Old June 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #25
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
The 675 tripple is different, but way over priced and I felt like I was shifting A LOT.
Unless the price went up a lot this year, the Triumph Daytona has a lower MSRP than the Big 4...

Old June 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #26
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Unless the price went up a lot this year, the Triumph Daytona has a lower MSRP than the Big 4...
Actually, it's the same, but since there are so many fewer Triumph dealers, they can(and do) charge whatever they like. Sorta like when the car dealerships charge a "Adjusted Market Value" fee for a new/high demand/special edition vehicle.

Read in 4 columns:

Bike/2009msrp/2010msrp/net change
  • 675______9,799/10,500/+$701
  • ZX6R_____9,799/10,500/+$701
  • CBR______9,799/11,199/+$1400
  • R6_______9,900/10,490/+$599
  • GSXR____10,399/no 2010/xxxx
(source:motorcyclistonline.com web reference)

Around here, there is only one Triumph dealer, and he stickers his bikes $1000-$1500 more than MSRP because he can. Needless to say, he doesn't sell many bikes.

As you can see, the msrp on most of the bikes 2009 to 2010 went up about the same, other than Honda, which went up 2x what everyone else did.

Old June 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #27
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

I guess it doesn't matter anymore cuz I just picked up a 2009 zx6r today.

Old June 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #28
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Congrats!
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #29
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Hey Wayne I see the 2010 RR w/ABS in Red/Blk only on the web site right now. Dealer had 2009 R6 including raven (my fave color in the R6) but taller seat height, least low end, and toughest ergos (though best looking bike IMO) left me looking at the R6S but they were out of raven in that. Same dealer had just received a few brand new 2009 FZ6 also (not the FZ6R, though they had them too). I was avoiding the Honda due to pricing, but they were offering money off, and next thing I know that was what I was buying.
Yeah, the ergos on the R6 are a bit demanding, especially for this old bod. That's because it's basically a race bike with detachable lights. The ergos on the FZ6 are so completely different it's hard to believe both bikes are made by the same company.
I really need to keep up on the latest offers of discounts from the dealers around here. I get a bit of sticker shock every time I'm on the Honda site, but for a couple of grand off MSRP I'd no doubt jump at the chance to own a Honda too.

Old June 27th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #30
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
Rock on! You're gonna love it! What color did you get?

ETA: Sorry about the computer! I see you're fishing for info on KF, good luck there. I recommend the search, it'll help weed out the BS over there. Check out the Ex Ninjettes Lair here.......several of us there have the 09 ZX6! I have the electronic copy of the Race and Service manual. PM me if you're interested and I'll send it to you.

Old June 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #31
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Rock on! You're gonna love it! What color did you get?

ETA: Sorry about the computer! I see you're fishing for info on KF, good luck there. I recommend the search, it'll help weed out the BS over there. Check out the Ex Ninjettes Lair here.......several of us there have the 09 ZX6! I have the electronic copy of the Race and Service manual. PM me if you're interested and I'll send it to you.
She's black...
Pm'd.
Thank you.

Old June 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #32
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
She's black...
Pm'd.
Thank you.
Mail for you! Service and Race Manual, as well as the entire parts diagram!

Old June 27th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #33
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Congrats! Let us know how you like the new ride. If I can't score an FZ6 holdover the FZ6R will definately be on my short list of potential new bikes.

Old June 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #34
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I track an FZ6. Great bike. Good power, (near 100 ponies) very comfortable in street trim. Makes a great sport touring bike. I seen them locally here new leftover for $5999. You wont be sorry.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #35
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Congrats! Let us know how you like the new ride. If I can't score an FZ6 holdover the FZ6R will definately be on my short list of potential new bikes.
Rode her around the neighborhood today cuz I haven't registered her yet.
Smooth shifting and braking. I didn't go over 4k rpm due to being in a resident area. Gears are smooth. Braking was great. First gear was alot smoother than on the 250r.

Old June 28th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #36
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
She's black...
Pm'd.
Thank you.
Same as mine.

Old June 28th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #37
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Rode her around the neighborhood today cuz I haven't registered her yet.
Smooth shifting and braking. I didn't go over 4k rpm due to being in a resident area. Gears are smooth. Braking was great. First gear was alot smoother than on the 250r.
Wait until you get it up past 8K. She really get up and goes in this range.

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #38
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Wait until you get it up past 8K. She really get up and goes in this range.
She only has a little over 200 miles.
Would it be ok to ride that high during this period?

Old June 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #39
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Depends on what school of thought you follow regarding break in periods. I kept mine to about 6k until I hit 500 and then to 8k until I hit 1000 miles.

Old June 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #40
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Quote:
With these bikes, most people subscribe to the motoman method....beat it hard, change the oil often, and ride it. Up to you. No one has ever reported breaking a motor, either way.

Motoman break in method