ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM   #1
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Bike veering to the left... twisted forks?

Hey guys,

So I had a 2nd, pretty bad low-side today. My first one wasn't anything major, this one was at like 75 km/h. Rather surprisingly, my first one knocked a pawl spring out, taking my bike out for 3 weeks while I waited for parts, while today's left my bike running.

Now, the bike did veer to the left prior to today, just not as badly. Even now, it's still ridable, just something I'd like to fix. Thankfully, it doesn't look like they're bent, but I'll throw up a picture tomorrow just to be sure. Moreover, looks like the bike is running great otherwise, and most of the damage is minor cosmetic stuff. Just would like to fix this veering issue so my bike is running well.

So am I right and the forks are slightly twisted? Like the left stem is "shorter" than the right? Or no? How can I fix this?

Thanks!
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM   #2
kkim

sounds like the left side fork might be bent from the first drop and the second made it worse, perhaps???

If you want this to stop, stop crashing the bike.

pics, please.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM   #3
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

LOL, agreed. I just pushed myself too hard today. The first one was inexperience. Today, I came to the turn, thought, hey, I might be too fast for this... naahhh, I can probably push through it. Didn't, went wide, hit the gravel shoulder and into the grass. Lesson: Don't push it anymore, you're not Rossi, at least not on the street. If you're too hot, slow it down!

That said, I'll get pics up tomorrow, but honestly, they don't look bent. What do bent forks look like though? I figured it would be obvious.

EDIT: A quick Google brought up an FZ6 forum posting, that basically identified that the forks may just be tweaked in the triple clamps? Does that seem plausible? My left handlebar is a little bent (not visibly noticeable, but I could tell the difference when I held it.)

Old July 1st, 2010, 08:51 PM   #4
kkim

take some pics from straight on, straight overhead and a profile shot. some close ups of the forks will help.

yes, the forks may just be twisted in the triple trees. do they work/feel the same as before the crashes or does the suspension feel harder/stiffer in front?

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM   #5
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

I had the bike for 4 days before the crash, so no clue. But the suspension doesn't feel stiff, and the bike seemed to run well. The first crash happened at 30 km/h on asphalt in my street. I've rode it for 3 months since then.

I'll take those pics and get them up ASAP. I'm really hoping my forks aren't bent or anything. I kinda doubt it, it would really be noticeable in the ride back, and I think I would've seen bending or leaking fork seal oil.

*crossing my fingers*

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM   #6
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

I'm now starting to think that's it's a combination of the left handlebar being lower, and slightly bent.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #7
U5er
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Sliding out the forks is pretty easy. Remove front tire, loosend all the brackets, and gently slide out. DIY available on this site. My right fork (chrome bar) bent during a low slide. Likely this is your problem too.
U5er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
kkim

last question... when you ride it down the street in a straight line (about 50mph), if you take your hands off the handlebars and let the bike glide on it's own, does it pull to the left then?

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM   #9
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
last question... when you ride it down the street in a straight line (about 50mph), if you take your hands off the handlebars and let the bike glide on it's own, does it pull to the left then?
kkim, that's how I figured out that it was veering to the left. So yes.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #10
kkim

that would indicate something is bent/out of alignment.

you didn't show the left profile of the entire bike. where exactly was the impact? what hard parts show evidence of striking something?

I tend to agree with U5er that you may have a bent fork tube.

to straighten out the front end relative to the wheel for forks that have merely twisted in the triple tree, use this...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_...nd_front_wheel

to paraphrase CC Cowboy... crashing sucks.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #11
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Profile pic won't help much, there isn't much physical damage to the fairings. I can get it if you really need it.

Yesterday's impact was off a right turn, so I was leaned right. When I pulled myself together and went to pick up the bike, it was laying in the grass on its right side, but facing the other way, as in the direction opposite to which I was traveling. The fairing scratches, and the turn signals popping off both sides, indicates that it was affected on both sides.

When you say bent fork, does that mean I should technically get a new fork? Or are you just referring to the twisted triple trees?

EDIT: Oh I see. They could be bent, but without a crease. If so, then its fixable.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #12
U5er
ninjette.org member

Where in T.O are you from?

Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM   #13
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

I'm out in Brampton. I'm going to have a go at it now.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM   #14
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
I'm out in Brampton. I'm going to have a go at it now.
Hey i am from brampton! but now located in Tampa FL!
lonewolf05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:06 PM   #15
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

I'm sure Tampa's better. Probably not nearly as many dumbass Indian ppl (I'm Indian :P)

Mission accomplished! Just finished putting everything back together, took her for a rip and she ran beautifully. The feeling of the left handlebar being bent was gone, and she didn't veer to the left nearly as much as even before yesterday's crash. I will say there this is a VERY slight veering to the left, but even at 100 km/h, with my hands off the bars, she stays in a straight line for the most part. I have a feeling that it could be just the way the tires are worn.

Moreover, I here a squeaking noise when the bike is coasting and I have the clutch pulled in. Even happens when the bike is off. Pulling the front brake makes the noise go away. I've deduced that this must be my front brake pads just slightly touching the realigned wheel, and that when they wear down, this will go away.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM   #16
U5er
ninjette.org member

Did you replace only the chrome cylinder?

Old July 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Fork Tweaking

Try this. If this doesn't help, you have broken hard parts.