ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

Angry First group ride

I went on my first group (and long) ride today. There were 6 of us in all. We took a twisty ride up East Canyon in Utah, to Morgan. Then back down again, and through emigration canyon. Very pretty scenery and some cool bends.

My MSF instructor took the lead on his Triumph Tiger (we have a mutual friend), then me on my ninja, another guy on his new Triumph Triple Speed (that bike is insane), another noob on a Ninja 500, then a HD (with his radio blaring), and finally Chuck from Wheelnerds.com on his Buell.

Having the MSF dude there certainly added some rigor to the ride - a lot of hand signals; though I appreciated the fact that he pointed out a lot of hazards - reduced the stress.

My bike had 290 miles on it before today (from generally tooling around in The Salt Lake area), so I'm still on my break in. That went completely out of the window today - hit 75 on the freeway, and 10,000 rpm in various gears. Aah well.

There were a few things I noticed today. First off, I was not prepared for the amount of wind buffeting I experienced. I'm going to have to get better at tucking down lower so the air flow goes over my head.

On the way up the canyon the ride was slow as we got stuck behind a truck towing jet skis, but there are some tight bends that were fun. Except the first thing my friend says when we stop for a break is that I need to turn my head more. As I watched for this after the break I think that I was nervous through the bends, more intent on watching the road surface and where I was in relation to the verge or the center line, than looking through the corner.

Finally - the lean. On some of the bends I felt as if I was leaning so far over that I would be able to touch the road with my hand. When we got off we (me and the other noob) were told that we were hardly leaning, and need to lean a lot more. Apparently perception and reality are a world apart. The thing I'm not doing is shifting my weight over the side of the bike - I'm staying in line with the bikes lean. A lot more practice is required.

Anyway, I put 160 miles on the bike today and had a blast. Looking forwards to the next ride
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That doesn't sound so bad! I saw the unhappy face icon on the thread, and thought I was about to read about a crash on your first group ride. I wouldn't worry about trying to lean more and more. The lean angle will come. Focus instead on putting the bike where you want it to be, choosing good lines through corners, managing your speed carefully, and keeping the stress level manageable. As a new rider, you're processing a whole bunch of information that over time will become second nature and require less conscious thought. But until then, everything seems more complicated, faster, and harder than it will ultimately prove to be. Good job on finishing your first group ride on two wheels, and I hope you have thousands more.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

I'm not sure where the angry face came from, unless I fat fingered something on my IPad. Thanks for the pep talk though - and I'm sure experience will help a lot.

Old September 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #4
actionace
MotoGP Junkie

Name: Ace

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Congrats! Awesome that you had your MSF Instructor leading. Really helps to have a good smart rider helping you along. It helped me tons and I continue to try to pass it along to friends who are interested in listening
actionace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #5
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

Name: Reece

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 250r Kawasaki Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffmonkey View Post
Anyway, I put 160 miles on the bike today and had a blast. Looking forwards to the next ride
You had fun and are learning. I'd call that pretty successful.

Old September 5th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #6
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

Quote:
There were a few things I noticed today. First off, I was not prepared for the amount of wind buffeting I experienced. I'm going to have to get better at tucking down lower so the air flow goes over my head.
you can also invest in an aftermarket windscreen. u can spend $70+ on a zero gravity double bubble, or about $25 on a chinese replica from ebay. they both will do the same thing. i went w the cheap windscreen and its great, even sitting up a bit the wind is redirected over my head.

congrats on the first group ride! theres a bunch of good videos on youtube and this site for learning lean angles and body position for cornering. search superbike school or keith code. i also heghly recommend keith codes twist of the wrist 2 dvd, i learned alot form it and will still go back and watch again to learn more.

Old September 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Wow that was a lot of criticism your friends gave you for one of your first rides... just take it easy at first
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #8
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Glad you had a good group ride, Glad to see your exp wasn't like mine....and to have a MSF Instructor to give guidance would be good.
as a noob also and being on 3 GR's now... I won't go anymore, at least till I'm a lot better on the bike.
I find the more experienced ppl are just to fast, esp on my last group ride.
I find myself trying to follow them more, and just adding to my worries by me worrying I am holding up the group.

Glad to see my exp isn't always the case w/ groups.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #9
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Except the first thing my friend says when we stop for a break is that I need to turn my head more. As I watched for this after the break I think that I was nervous through the bends, more intent on watching the road surface and where I was in relation to the verge or the center line, than looking through the corner.
Good advice. Remember to keep eyes up and scanning. Looking at the road for more than a quick glance is a no-no. Looking at the road will make your feel as if you are going too fast. Looking ahead slows down your perception of speed.

Quote:
Finally - the lean. On some of the bends I felt as if I was leaning so far over that I would be able to touch the road with my hand. When we got off we (me and the other noob) were told that we were hardly leaning, and need to lean a lot more. Apparently perception and reality are a world apart. The thing I'm not doing is shifting my weight over the side of the bike - I'm staying in line with the bikes lean. A lot more practice is required.
Leaning takes some getting used to. I wouldn't worry too much about hanging off a ton. Just pointing your chin toward the direction of your turn, while looking through the turn, is a good first step. Moving your upper body to the inside of the turn is a good idea too. However, moving your butt off the seat can set you up to develop the bad habit of crossing up your body on the bike. Crossing up is when your butt is off the seat and your upper body is centered or, in extreme cases, on the wrong side of the tank.

Just my

Jeff

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #10
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

At 75 mph, you're likely to experience significant wind buffering on most bikes, I hope you had earplugs on.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Hey Jeff, I also live in Sandy, off 94th and 23rd. I'll be looking out for you out there.

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #12
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
At 75 mph, you're likely to experience significant wind buffering on most bikes, I hope you had earplugs on.
It was my first ride with ear plugs and I'll never ride without them now. I also took another freeway ride and tucked down a lot more - a world of difference, though still looking at double bubbles

Old September 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #13
lv250
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2009 CRF230L, 1998 Honda VT1100c, 1974 Honda XL100, 07 Yamaha Wolverine 350, 06 ArticCat 250

GR

Congrats on getting your license and taking the class. Welcome to the a new adventure in life riding. Be easy on your self it is a learning experience.

I am not a big fan of large group rides. I find one or two people is enjoyable. I agree with stay focused learn what you can from experienced riders but ride your ride at your pace never theirs. So do what you feel is comfortable. Seat time will get you better every time. If speeds are to much slow down. Remember you will make mistakes and the Ninja 250 will let you and get you back out of them as well. It is a great bike for any level rider.

You will get use to wind. Here in Vegas Valley we get winds all the time. Ride fast feels better. But a good windscreen helps I have two zero gravity. One DB and one touring. Depends on where I am going as to which I place on.

Again be safe, have fun, enjoy and ride how you feel and listen to the advice but take it at your level.
lv250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #14
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Hey Jeff, I also live in Sandy, off 94th and 23rd. I'll be looking out for you out there.
Howdy neighbor.