ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #1
jarnar591
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Lightbulb 700 Mile Trip to Come...

I am currently planning on taking my '07 250 on a 700 mile trip from Northeast Ohio down to Myrtle Beach S. Carolina. I've been riding for a couple years now and I have put in my share of highway riding, but I haven't gone on rides for more than a couple hours (mostly back-road riding).

I was hoping to get some tips or ideas for such a trip (going in July) since this will be the longest ride I will have taken on my bike. I am in no hurry to get to my destination, so I will probably allow two days to get there (12 hr trip, don't want to ride in the rain so much if it starts).

Any ideas/tips are greatly appreciated, thanks!
jarnar591 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #2
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I don't have 100 miles on The Blue Wonder yet, so take what I'm about to recommend with a huge grain of sea salt. "Proficient Motorcyclling" by David L. Hough has some great strategies for riding in general, including some topics specific to long distance riding. If you haven't read his book that would be a great place to start, I would think.

I'm sure other more experienced riders will chime in with their experiences.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #3
jarnar591
ninjette.org member

Alright thanks, I'll see if I can find the book and take a look at it. And yes, I am hoping for the more experienced riders to chime in haha

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

There are several threads about long trips, lots of info posted there. To me, I'd rather do a 700 as a day ride, it would take me around 11 hours or a bit less. The main things are butt comfort and hydration, but that varies based on the person. My first long ride was 824 miles and I had less than 18 months experience at that point. The main changes I made to the bike were foam grips for vibration, and a Corbin saddle that I lucked into. That Corbin made all the difference for me, on the stock saddle I'm in unbearable agony at 250 miles or less.

I went up one on the front and down two on the rear sprockets, that reduced engine buzziness by quite a bit. For riding position I filled my tank bag with water bottles and towels to maximize its height, that way I could lay on it with weight bearing on the chin of my helmet and on the upper part of my chest. This took enough weight off my butt that I had no discomfort at all for the whole trip. It also allowed me to completely relax on the bike, often times with my elbows on my knees to support the weight of my arms and hands. Being down in this tuck position also added a few miles per gallon.

I've done that 824 mile trip several times now and will be doing it again this summer, and may even do an IBR qualification ride since all I need is an extra 180 miles.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I do somethings very similar to FrugalNinja250. The tank bag and basically laying on it helps quite a bit. One thing that might make things easier is some music or something to keep you from going bored. I know some of you don't want the distraction, but you can pause it if you need 100% concentration. Shift your position every once in a while, sitting still for too long will make you cramp up. So saying that, stretch before, during and after your ride. Doesn't have to be anything complicated, but it really helps.

I just finished 500 miles this past weekend and the longest I've done so far is 700 round trip. So I don't have any experience with anything super long like 1,400 miles. One thing I've been considering is a liter fuel bottle, like those Hikers use to hold liquid fuel for stoves. Using that bottle as a reserve liter a fuel may save you if you get caught on fumes and you have a couple miles left to the next fill up. The bottle takes space and weight, but it may be worth it.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #6
jarnar591
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. I skimmed through some of the posts and didn't really find quite what I was looking for so I figured It wouldn't hurt to post mine. I don't yet have a tank bag. Since this will be my first longer trip, I haven't needed one yet. Which ones do you guys use? Im not sure that I would get one or not just yet because I don't know how often I would actually use it. I like the bottle idea also because I was kind of concerned about gas since I don't have a gauge although I know I can go about 250 miles before I have to switch to reserve. I was planning on having music with me since I already have it playing when I ride anyways, so that it definitely going to help on a longer ride. Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it.

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #7
lv250
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2009 CRF230L, 1998 Honda VT1100c, 1974 Honda XL100, 07 Yamaha Wolverine 350, 06 ArticCat 250

Tank bag

I average on most of my rides 500-600 mile round trips. Make sure to take breaks to stretch since this is not a Iron butt. Relax and fuel up, grab a drink and a snack. Take pictures. Remember enjoy the ride it is not about speed. Dress right for the weather. layers can be removed and added but only if you have them.

As for Tank bags I use a rapid transit, has a place to put my maps, a cell phone, Mp3 player, 2 cash pockets, sunglasses or glasses pocket, a water bladder, plenty of space for extra gloves (winter and summer), ball cap, pair of socks, garage door opener, my registration and insurance, camera and extra memory chips and batteries, my hand gun depending on the jacket I wear and time of year. When taken off the bike it uses a shoulder strap/back pack strap. So I can wear it like a back pack. I also use it to carry a pair jeans.

I also use on longer trips sport saddle bags from motocentric and a matching tail bag. Two msr bottles but a 1 gallon blitz can works well. I find a back pack strains shoulders after several hours.

Since I am not looking to swap the seat I added a butt buffer since I wear bond armor with the tail bone protector and a go cruise throttle lock, saves the wrists. I did purchase a sport tail rack to mount my msr bottle holders. Here in the deserts there are long stretches where there is no gas between towns.

Enjoy the ride and be safe.
lv250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #8
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Iron Butt Association

Click onto their site they have a section about wisdom etc. you'll get plenty of tips.

My recommendations are as follows;

Start later in the morning since you're doing two days to get there. By starting a little later you'll have the sun at the top of your helmet not in your visor. Sun glare even with a sunblocker can be fatiguing.

Get a good pair of ear plugs that fit comfortably. Loud noises are also tiring.

Make sure you have a proper fitting helmet..

Good comfortable gloves maybe the ones with gel palms to reduce vibration.

Some sort of throttle control. Aerostich sells a $20 one that just slides on and off your grip. You can also use a thick short rubber band between the grip flange and switch gear.

Get a Camel Pack type of hydration unit. Drink before thirsty and eat before hungry.

When you stop for gas get off the bike and fill it up. It isn't an Iron Butt run so not every minute counts against you. Once filled walk the bike away from the pumps and let it set for a minute while you walk around, check over the bike, take a pee whatever..the idea is to give your body a break. Eat some power bar or apple or a bananna if you have them. A coke and snickers is awesome energy combo. Stay away from burgers and coffee if possible they just load you up, make you pee ( the coffee does ).

Get an inexpensive Alaskan Sheepskin butt pad. You'll be able to transfer it to other bikes. Keeps your butt cooler in summer and warmer in cold weather.

Lots more but that should get you started. Oh one morer thing actually two. Take a set of phone numbers for the major hotels. ( Iam a BMW rider and we have the anonymous book) when it starts to get dusk or twilight or about half an hour before stopping pull over and call to reserve a room. Most times you'll be able to work a better deal on price than when you drag yourself in and then they see your a tired ole' boy you get the standard rate.

Last thing invest in an AMA membership. 49 bucks. Lots of discounts through merchants who accept the card AND free towing for your M/C, RV, Truck or car. Just had my truck towed and the AMA re-imbursed me $85 paid in full. Not to mention a voice in congress to fight the a**holes who want to limit your ability to ride. Hope this helps. Wardie

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #9
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Personally, a really good rainsiut and a tire plugging kit is all I'd take for 2 days.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I recommend not getting off the bike between gas stops. 200 miles really isn't that far to go without a break, and on longer trips I find I just get frustrated that I'm wasting time if I take more breaks. Obviously disregard this if you find yourself getting tired or distracted or uncomfortable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #11
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Agree with @skippi here in reference to the breaks.

I just did a 750mi this week. In addition to my tank bag I strapped my backpack to my back seat with a bungie net and rope. Cheap and effective.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM   #12
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Which way are you going down, 77 south or heading east then heading south (forget road)? And have you made the trip in a car before?
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #13
jarnar591
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys! Sorry I havent posted too recently, I have been busy with class and work. But in response to nautica, I am still deciding which way I will be taking to get there. I am leaning toward 77 most of the way there, but I think it would be pretty cool to get closer to the coast first then shoot down. Im sure Ill figure it out soon though. I have not made the trip this far down yet (with me driving) in a car. A couple years ago, I did go to Virginia Beach straight through, but I do not remember the route we took.

Old April 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #14
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Going 77 is a straight shot down through the mountains and not a bad ride, though it can be boring all through OH but it is the quickest way. I haven't gone the other way for awhile so not much help there. Just be careful going through the mountains, though they aren't too bad. And for gas going 77 south the whole way has plenty of gas stations spread out and by car I usually make it about an hour or two into WV, stop for gas and after that I can make it to NC (Greensboro is where I've traveled to most recently) and still have some left over. So roughly driving wise if starting from NE Ohio you'll be in OH for two hours, WV for two hours, VA for an hour then another couple hours in NC to get into SC I'm assuming since I've never gone to Myrtle Beach. I'll be heading that way again in a few weeks so if you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll help with what I can.

Old April 6th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #15
jarnar591
ninjette.org member

Okay, thanks man! My main concern for taking 77 was just a boring ride but it can't be too bad especially if it'll be the quicker way to get to the beach. But I'll keep that in mind and I may be asking for some tips in a few weeks!

Old April 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #16
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Interstate can get boring. But it's still the fastest way to get around.

Old April 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #17
jarnar591
ninjette.org member

Yea that's true. I was sort of thinking of taking a more scenic route once I got out of Ohio and more into the Carolina's but I might make that decision once I actually get on the road and see how I'm doing on time.

Old April 7th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #18
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Going 77 south will save you about an hour IIRC compared to going the other way. It's not a bad trip and the mountains are pretty cool if you've never been through them, you'll also go through two tunnels that go through a mountain as well, just watch as people like to fly through them and I've seen police sitting at the end since it's only 55 mph in the tunnel. Once you get about an hour or two into NC then it'll become a little more populated since you're going through bigger cities and traffic can get a little busy after hitting Winston-Salem so be careful there.

And the speed limit is mostly 70 mph except in OH and parts of NC, so that's always nice. And just to clarify it's not just driving a straight line down as there are plenty of twists and turns to keep you aware. I'd just make sure you go through the mountains during the day for your safety, lots of semi-trucks plus if you're not familiar with it all the uphill/downhill twists and turns can be overwhelming at first. If I remember I'll snap some pictures on my drive down for ya.

Old April 7th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #19
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Hydration is a factor to be careful with also let someone at home know your intended route and ETA better safe than sorry

Old April 7th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #20
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

One thing about 70MPH speed limits. You burn through gas quite quickly at higher speeds. My Ninjette dipped into the upper 40s MPG wise at higher sustained speeds. So you may be tempted to stay with traffic at > 75MPH. Just keep in mind that you will need to stop earlier. Also things get vibratey and more fatiguing at higher speeds.

Someone recommended a crampbuster when I asked about a trip. It worked pretty well. However, you need to be careful with them as to not hit the throttle while braking.

Old April 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #21
jarnar591
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. I'll try to keep all that in mind. I have noticed the mpgs drop off pretty quickly depending on how much 65+ driving I do compared to city rides and country roads so I will definitely be keeping that in mind.

Old April 15th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #22
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

drive through ohio on interstate then backroad it through pa and wv an va then interstate through to the beach
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:22 AM   #23
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Few things I forgot to mention.
- Carry moist wipes for your helmet/visor, you will get bombarded with bugs.
- If you see vehicles (mostly semi-trucks) with hazards on, be aware of that as that means they're going 10+ mph under the speed limit, usually due to hills.
- Take breaks often, you will get tired with all the turns and hills not to mention your back will appreciate it.
- Watch for deer/roadkill on the road as there is usually a lot of remains on the road.
- If you have an EZ-Pass use it, as WV has a few toll plazas where you have to stop and pay.

And I got bored and got some pics and video of driving through the WV mountains if you want to see it. The videos look like I'm going slow but I'm averaging 65 mph in both videos. Click to see it since it's photobucket.
Videos.

And pics.
Tunnel in VA

Harder to see, but this is in the mountains on the NC/VA border, overlooking NC.

Be safe and have fun if you ride down.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
IMHO it's a good idea to do two 350-mile days instead of trying to get it done in a day.

Tips, based on a long tour a couple of years ago:

- Stop and get off the bike once per hour, even if it's only for a minute to walk around. This does wonders.

- Move around on the bike a lot. Shift your weight, slide forward and back, weight the pegs, tuck, sit up, change hand position…. everything you can think of. If you just sit on your a$$ for hours on end you'll wind up with monkey butt. If you move around you'll feel a lot better.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #25
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
IMHO it's a good idea to do two 350-mile days instead of trying to get it done in a day.

Tips, based on a long tour a couple of years ago:

- Stop and get off the bike once per hour, even if it's only for a minute to walk around. This does wonders.

- Move around on the bike a lot. Shift your weight, slide forward and back, weight the pegs, tuck, sit up, change hand position…. everything you can think of. If you just sit on your a$$ for hours on end you'll wind up with monkey butt. If you move around you'll feel a lot better.
I'm planning on doing a 700 mi road trip from Vegas to San Jose (with a stop at LA then off to SJ). Google Maps suggests it's going to be a 9 hour drive total. I've driven going 100 on a car but when the Ninjette goes on 80-85 it starts screaming.

Old April 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarapacman99 View Post
when the Ninjette goes on 80-85 it starts screaming.
So?

I like to make her scream......
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #27
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So?

I like to make her scream......
you sir, "Nailed" it