ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #1
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

Carb Diaphragm Melted

Oh ****!

So the bike seems to run ok still, as well as I ever remember. But I'm guessing that I pretty much have to replace these now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7240004.jpg (62.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg P7240006.jpg (55.5 KB, 16 views)
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #2
kkim

oh crap!! does your bike backfire much?

made any jetting changes?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #3
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

No jetting changes, some backfires. It seems to run almost exactly as the day I rode it off the lot. Well, actually better than the day I rode it off the lot.

Only mods are shimmed needles and removed snorkel. I assume that I am the cause of this, and not one of the mods (you get what you pay for with labour these days. I guess I should start paying myself more ). The last time I took the carb covers off was around 1500 Km ago, and I'm pretty sure that this would have happened on a long ride I did shortly after. So with that being said, am I in danger of damaging any *other* parts if I keep riding while I wait for the replacements to come in? My gut says no, but my wallet is running away screaming

Edit: Now that I think about it, the bike has backfired more often in the last week than in the previous month. I believe it backfired starting in the morning on two consecutive mornings this week, but prior to that had only backfired twice in 4500 km. And of course the 'new' backfires were much quieter than the previous backfires. I'm guessing that suggests combustion where I see melted rubber instead of in the pipe like normal?

Old July 25th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #4
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Wow. Looks like buying whole new carbs is cheaper than just buying new vacuum valves.

...Anyone got any suggestions on aftermarket carbs?

Old July 25th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Hardracing is selling a nice upgrade for our carb. Talk to kkim for further details
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #6
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

The word is that the aftermarket carbs suck in the low RPM's but give great response after about 4000 rpms.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #7
randomwalk101
self wrencher

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11298

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
kkim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K21-K...Q5fAccessories

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #9
n4v1n
ninjette.org member

Name: navin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

What would be the symptoms of a problem like this? I just want to make sure I didn't screw anything up while shimming.
n4v1n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyusMaximus View Post
No jetting changes, some backfires. It seems to run almost exactly as the day I rode it off the lot. Well, actually better than the day I rode it off the lot.

Only mods are shimmed needles and removed snorkel. I assume that I am the cause of this, and not one of the mods (you get what you pay for with labour these days. I guess I should start paying myself more ). The last time I took the carb covers off was around 1500 Km ago, and I'm pretty sure that this would have happened on a long ride I did shortly after. So with that being said, am I in danger of damaging any *other* parts if I keep riding while I wait for the replacements to come in? My gut says no, but my wallet is running away screaming

Edit: Now that I think about it, the bike has backfired more often in the last week than in the previous month. I believe it backfired starting in the morning on two consecutive mornings this week, but prior to that had only backfired twice in 4500 km. And of course the 'new' backfires were much quieter than the previous backfires. I'm guessing that suggests combustion where I see melted rubber instead of in the pipe like normal?

did I read earlier that some of the carbs top screws were loose?

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #11
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Not loose, but that was my initial thought, since I put a stripped screw back in. Maybe just not as tight as it should have been.

I'm not positive I've seen any symptoms. I think I may have noticed a little bit of loss of power at the high end, but that was all WOT in 6th going uphill on a highway. It was really difficult for me to figure out if something was wrong, or if it was just gusts of wind. In normal riding I don't notice any symptoms.

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #12
kkim

okay... exhaust changes... air filter changes?

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #13
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Ordered! Thanks for the link

Nope, no mods other than shimmed needles and removed snorkel. I'm nearly positive that my shoddy skills were the cause of this though. I had a really hard time getting the one vacuum valve to sit properly, and with the stripped screws going back in, I can see how that would have caused an air leak or loose valve.

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #14
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

My only real worry is that if I keep riding with it like this (while I'm waiting for the replacement to come in) that I'll end up stranded on the side of the road, needing a tow. Or that it'll damage other parts of the engine somehow.

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #15
kkim

cool on buying the carbs. spares galore now, eh?

interesting that the bike ran fine when the diaphragms were in that condition. normally when people have had torn diaphragms the bike would run like crap.

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #16
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyusMaximus View Post
My only real worry is that if I keep riding with it like this (while I'm waiting for the replacement to come in) that I'll end up stranded on the side of the road, needing a tow. Or that it'll damage other parts of the engine somehow.
so, don't ride it.

Old July 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #17
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
so, don't ride it.
How could you say such a horrible thing?!

Edit: But yeah, the bike runs beautifuly right now, which does seem pretty odd. I guess the rips are in an ok position for normal operation. This is from the drilling DIY, and I assume this is exactly what I did:
Quote:
As has been suggested a little vaseline or light grease around the machined groove will help seat the diaphram. You can see in two pictures up a bit of grease on my diaphram from this . Pay special attention upon reassembly to make sure the diaphram is fully seated in the machine groove for it. It'd be a shame to go through the effort only to tear the diaphram when you put the cap back on
Yep, it sure would. It sure would.

On the upside, I now get an excuse to take apart a set of carbs, which I haven't done since I was a little kid

Old July 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Looks like it was pinched (then ripped) by the top metal due to improper installation. You can probably use some gasket sealant and seal it up...but since you bought new carb already, I would just replace it.