ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Accidents/ close calls

Hi All, this may be a not so happy thread, but I figured if we heard everyones stories, it might help us be more alert out there to avoid certain situations.

What are your stories of accidents or close calls? What happened? Did you learn anything from it? Could you have done anything differently?
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Went down while going around a curve on some wet pavement. Was probably going a bit too fast for the conditions. Lucky for me I ended up in some grass, so the road rash was minimal. Bike didn't end up so well though. That was about 26 years ago (now I feel old).

As for close calls, I think I get these on a regular basis. That is, situations where if I wasn't paying attention, bad things would have happened.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #3
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51064
And there is mine in all of its anger and glory lol
Had a few close calls but not like that one

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

I wrecked last Saturday up in the mountains. I wasn't ready for a decreasing radius, right-handed uphill turn. Instead of leaning more, I grabbed the brakes, stood the bike up, crossed the double yellow, and kept the bike up until I hit gravel on the opposite shoulder. The front wheel of the bike hit a guardrail post which trashed the wheel, bent the rim, and twisted the forks. I got nothing but a bruise on my knee, some scratches on my arm, and scuffed gear. I also received a summons for a completely ridiculous Reckless Driving charge. (Single vehicle accident, no witnesses, no damage to state property, no proof of excessive speed, etc. There were hardly even skid marks to base it on, because I didn't lock the brakes til I got in the gravel.)

What did I learn? Crashing sucks, gear is good, riding home on a pillion seat is tiring, and state troopers are jerks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #5
Blackwidow

Wow Andrew, first i'm glad you're ok. Second, i can't believe you got a citation for that....what a jerk!!!

is your bike all fixed up or is it still in the shop?

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #6
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
I wrecked last Saturday up in the mountains. I wasn't ready for a decreasing radius, right-handed uphill turn. Instead of leaning more, I grabbed the brakes, stood the bike up, crossed the double yellow, and kept the bike up until I hit gravel on the opposite shoulder. The front wheel of the bike hit a guardrail post which trashed the wheel, bent the rim, and twisted the forks. I got nothing but a bruise on my knee, some scratches on my arm, and scuffed gear. I also received a summons for a completely ridiculous Reckless Driving charge. (Single vehicle accident, no witnesses, no damage to state property, no proof of excessive speed, etc. There were hardly even skid marks to base it on, because I didn't lock the brakes til I got in the gravel.)

What did I learn? Crashing sucks, gear is good, riding home on a pillion seat is tiring, and state troopers are jerks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Damn that is f'ed up. Glad you are okay at least. Man what did the cops do, look at you and be like oh you are injured huh, bike is jacked up huh, you are in pain huh, well guess what you can go to court now and give us some money hahaha. This govenment is ridiculous.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I was traveling along a 3 lane one-way street in the left lane, 35mph speed limit and parking lots for businesses on both sides. Suddenly, out of nowhere, someone in a Mustang made a 90 degree left turn from the right lane, crossed the middle lane and crossed in front of me. I saw it out of the corner of my eye as they were about 1 car length ahead of me but I wasn't focused on them as they were two lanes over and I was worrying about a tailgater. I slammed on my brakes hard and missed hitting their left rear fender/bumper by a few inches. The image I still have frozen in my mind is the side of the rear bumper closer to my front tire than the width of the the front tire, which I could barely see over the (then) stock front fairing.

I always ride with two fingers on the brake and that fact alone saved me from what would have been a bad collision. I almost got rear-ended by the usual tailgater too, but that's another story.

I followed the car into the parking lot and a girl, she couldn't have been older than 15 or 16, got out of the car with a smirk on her face that seemed to say that since there was no collision there was no problem. I explained to her that if I'd hit her she'd be in the jackpot for sure. I described how my lawyers would take all the money her insurance company would pay, then would take that car she was driving (that wiped the smirk right off her face), and then would take all the money she had anywhere, all her stuff, then her mom's money, her dad's money, her brother's money, and whatever else her family had in their house like TVs, games, everything. And then, once he'd stripped them of everything they owned he'd get court judgments and go after everything she would ever make working whatever menial jobs she would ever have, since once he got done with her there'd be no money for college.

All of this I explained in a very calm, quiet voice. No yelling, no gesturing, no physicality at all. By the time I was done, she was extremely pale and shaking, so I think it finally dawned on her just how bad of a jackpot she very nearly put her family and her future in.

If I'd been 1/2 a second slower on the brakes I might not even be able to write this now.

And then there was this: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=790295#790295
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Wow Andrew, first i'm glad you're ok. Second, i can't believe you got a citation for that....what a jerk!!!

is your bike all fixed up or is it still in the shop?
Thanks!
The bike probably isn't coming back from the shop. Insurance is going to total it, but the good news is they're paying for the bike and the gear that was damaged. And I don't have to go to court until sep. 21st, but I'm entirely expecting to get a letter from the prosecutor before then telling me he's dropped the case. They just have nothing to base the charge on; there's nothing illegal about zigging when I should have zagged.

And before someone asks, I was only doing an indicated 40 in a 35. Speed had nothing to do with it, just inexperience and poor preparation for the corner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #9
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I followed the car into the parking lot and a girl, she couldn't have been older than 15 or 16, got out of the car with a smirk on her face that seemed to say that since there was no collision there was no problem. I explained to her that if I'd hit her she'd be in the jackpot for sure. I described how my lawyers would take all the money her insurance company would pay, then would take that car she was driving (that wiped the smirk right off her face), and then would take all the money she had anywhere, all her stuff, then her mom's money, her dad's money, her brother's money, and whatever else her family had in their house like TVs, games, everything. And then, once he'd stripped them of everything they owned he'd get court judgments and go after everything she would ever make working whatever menial jobs she would ever have, since once he got done with her there'd be no money for college.

And then there was this: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=790295#790295
LOL talk about lectures. sheeesh. but i'm sure she learned her lesson, better that way rather then the harsh way of hurting someone else physcially.

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Blackwidow

Doctor's office: "Hello, can I help you?"
Me:"I feel like I got hit by a truck."
Doc's office: "What seems to be the problem?".
Me: "I got hit by a truck."
Doc's office: (long silence)"Ok, how about tomorrow morning?"

i'm sorry, don't mean to laugh, but i admire your sense of humor. lol

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
Thanks!
The bike probably isn't coming back from the shop. Insurance is going to total it, but the good news is they're paying for the bike and the gear that was damaged. And I don't have to go to court until sep. 21st, but I'm entirely expecting to get a letter from the prosecutor before then telling me he's dropped the case. They just have nothing to base the charge on; there's nothing illegal about zigging when I should have zagged.

And before someone asks, I was only doing an indicated 40 in a 35. Speed had nothing to do with it, just inexperience and poor preparation for the corner.
Posted via Mobile Device
good luck, hope charges get dropped. Keep us updated.

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #12
KimR
ninjette.org member

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Twice. Once, over 30 years ago, I was doing about 40 mph down a two lane road on a dirtbike with serious knobbies. An older couple was stopped at the stop sign on a side street. The driver looked right at me and pulled out. I slammed on the brakes, but with the knobbies on the street, I wasn't going to get stopped before I hit them. So I laid it down. I went skipping down the pavement like a stone on a pond. As I slid past them, the driver stared at me, clearly unaware that he was involved and wondering what that dumb kid was doing. Damage? Beat up but rideable bike. Sprained ankle and a lot of road rash. I still have some in my knees.

Second time, I was riding a Royal Enfield in the Himalayas last September. They drive on the wrong side in India and the Indian Enfields have the foot controls reversed--brake on the left and shifter on the right. And the shift pattern is also reversed--1 down and 3 up. I came around a hairpin to find an SUV in my lane. I swerved to the right and so did he. I also tried to slow down, but my American mind took over and instead of hitting the brake, I mashed down with my right boot, which simply shifted the bike up into the next gear. We met, I took out his front left headlight with my knee and departed airborne, winding up face down in a ditch. Damage? One torn hamstring, a bruised shin and a sore back. I was all ATTGATT (Cycleport jacket, hard knee protectors, motocross boots, Shoei DS helmet) and probably not going all that fast by the time we collided. The bike would have been totalled here in the states--bent frame, holed engine case, shifter and brake lever bent, fenders and tank all dinged, front wheel ruined. But over there the mechanics attacked it with hand tools and had it running in a few days. Cost me $600 in parts and labor.
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #13
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

only one really close call for me, I was in a center turning lane slowing down to make a left turn when I saw a car out of the corner of my left eye, some idiot cabbie was barreling along on the wrong side of the road behind me in my blind spot wanting to use the turn lane to merge into the traffic. I hit the brakes and skidded the rear tire a bit, he slammed on the brakes and when we both came to a stop his front bumper was about 4 feet from my left leg. then he has the gall to flip me the bird LOL keep in mind he's now parked, on the wrong side of the road, with traffic approaching, and he's giving me the finger lmao. so i checked to make sure nobody else was trying to make me a hood ornament, made my left turn, and then kindly returned the cabbie's gesture. in hindsight, I should have followed him and reported his ass to the cab company, but I just wanted off the street at that point. Check your blind spots folks
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Blackwidow

well i don't have my bike yet so i don't have any bike accident stories..and hope i never do.

But i did get into a massive car accident back in '94. 4 of my friends and I went up to angeles crest (a windy road) to play with snow, (its cali so snow is a big deal to us). anyway, on our way back there was black ice on the road and the car slide and lost control. the driver couldn't get the car back in control and the car flew off a cliff. I was knocked out for a few hours and no one saw us fall. So i woke up on the hillside roughly 200 ft below the road with a broken pelvic bone. Since no one saw us fall, I had to climb up the hillside to get help. it took me hours to get up using my arms only since i couldn't use my legs. I ended up losing two of my friends in that accident. the other friends lived but they went through critical injuries as I did.

It was a time in my life i will never forget.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Blackwidow

exactly. what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. the incident has helped me understand the value of life and how beautiful it really is.

corny i know!

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #16
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
So i woke up on the hillside roughly 200 ft below the road with a broken pelvic bone. Since no one saw us fall, I had to climb up the hillside to get help. it took me hours to get up using my arms only since i couldn't use my legs.
I admire the strength of will that it took to do that, and to get through what followed; That's something special.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Blackwidow

thank you! ya adrenalin kicks in and you are pretty much at the mercy of either you live or die. as soon as i reached the roadside, i completely collapsed in pain cuz I knew i made it and we would be saved (not knowing that one of my friends had died instantly) my body went into shock and i couldn't move anymore. It took all the little bit of strength left in me to wave down people passing by. being covered in blood made some people passing by think it was a sick joke or something, they wouldn't stop until an off duty police officer passed by and stopped.

edit: I think it was the one and only time the sound of sirens was music to my ears.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #18
pooter
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

First thing that comes to mind is the when I initially got my bike.

I was driving down a blvd that goes about 40mph avg. I slowed to do a right turn but then as initiated the turn, I target fixated on the car that was stopped at the light as I turned and I went WAAAAY wide and almost ran into his left rear, and luckily there were no cars behind him as I swerved past his back bumper. I could literally read his lips forming the words "WHAT THE FU.." as I rode by.

Had to sit down and ingrain the whole slow, turn, look, roll thing again in my head and I had to basically remind myself not to ride like I drive. My car is a sports car with a low stance and tight suspension so normally I can zoom right into tight corners and often I don't even bother braking into turns so this is something I need to get out of my system when I get on my bike.

------------------------------------------------

Another time is when a van pulled right in front of me from an intersection where he had a stop sign and I didn't. He was stopped and was edged out from the line and there were no other cars. He was looking right at me and made eye contact with me. I had already slowed and shifted down to first but after thinking he saw me, I gave a bit of throttle to go past the intersection and he speeds up and I had to do a quick stop. Stupid thing is he even stops in the middle of the intersection and gawks at me as he realizes I am there after I braked hard and stopped a few feet from his passenger door.

Very important lesson for me and something I should have known since it's said everywhere. Don't assume they see you even though they make eye contact and look right at you. Another good experience for me here was knowing that I need more experience doing quick stops. In my panic I actually locked the rear and could feel it going side to side behind me. Luckily no harm done but a good learning experience for me.
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #19
Blackwidow

glad they were all close calls. during MSF class they did mention that most accidents happen in intersections, seeing as 3 of these stories were related to intersections, i guess i'm starting to believe its a fact.

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #20
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
well i don't have my bike yet so i don't have any bike accident stories..and hope i never do.

But i did get into a massive car accident back in '94. 4 of my friends and I went up to angeles crest (a windy road) to play with snow, (its cali so snow is a big deal to us). anyway, on our way back there was black ice on the road and the car slide and lost control. the driver couldn't get the car back in control and the car flew off a cliff. I was knocked out for a few hours and no one saw us fall. So i woke up on the hillside roughly 200 ft below the road with a broken pelvic bone. Since no one saw us fall, I had to climb up the hillside to get help. it took me hours to get up using my arms only since i couldn't use my legs. I ended up losing two of my friends in that accident. the other friends lived but they went through critical injuries as I did.

It was a time in my life i will never forget.
Wow! I can only imagine how painful that must have been for you. Physically and emotionally.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #21
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
glad they were all close calls. during MSF class they did mention that most accidents happen in intersections, seeing as 3 of these stories were related to intersections, i guess i'm starting to believe its a fact.
Even MSF classes aren't safe. One person lost control of the throttle, forgot how to close it, forgot how to clutch or brake, then target-fixated on the instructor. Luckily the rider recovered and was able to stop about 3' from the instructor who, it seems, had gone into a bullfighting stance.

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #22
motor32
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Kawasaki Concours --- 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I lost the front end on a right turn over some rippled pavement. Having my full gear on (Like Always) saved my a$$. The bike was going down until my knee puck hit and I was able to hold it until the front got traction again. I got bucked out of the saddle but that was about it. I call these things (Moments) and you always learn from them. Better yet to learn from someone else's moments. Ride safe.
motor32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #23
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Last month i crashed. I was riding my zx like the race bike it is , but instead of being on a track i was squiding on a twisty highway.
My gear saved me from alot of rash pain. I always rode in full leather knowing someday my crash day would come.
Bike totaled out at $8,300 in damages,i got $6,200. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=66

I got away with a few bruises and a torn ligament in my right hand.

The only fun i had riding was pushing my limits on the curves, so now i walk away before i get really hurt.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #24
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Close calls.... hmm... I can list a few.

1. Three weeks ago, I was riding down the highway. Dozed off. Woke up to see a parked truck about 50 ft from me. I was able to barely swerve to the right lane (thank goodness for the swerving practice!). Lesson learned? DO NOT RIDE YOUR MOTORCYCLE ON THREE HOURS OF SLEEP!

2. Arrived at an 4-way stop. Traffic on opposite of intersection was stopped. I didn't look at both sides. Began crossing the intersection. 18-wheeler blew through the intersection. Lesson learned? IF CARS ARE STOPPED, THERE IS A REASON!

3. Tried to take a 15mph turn at 30mph. Almost flew off the road. Lesson learned? Lean more, and look at where you're turning!
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #25
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

turn 2 Gingerman raceway. I ran out of 3 things TIRES TALENT AND RACETRACK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MKS_6597.jpg (61.1 KB, 5 views)
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote