ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 26th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

Shimmed, choke now kills engine

So I did 1 shim in each carb, the bike rides great, starts in even colder weather, but now that winter is coming around, I would like to use the choke. Problem is that any amount of choke after the shim will allow the engine to start, but it slowly will go down to 0 rpms and die in about 10sec. Whats up with that?
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #2
kkim

does it start with no choke at all when cold? if so, what happens?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #3
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
does it start with no choke at all when cold? if so, what happens?
Oh it'll start with no choke, but if its really cold out, it will go to 500-1000k rpms, and die a few secs later. I need the choke for when it gets 30F-40F, but using the choke will cause it to start right up in fact, but it wont maintain rpms.

Old September 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #4
kkim

How much are you turning the lever... all the way or partial?

Old September 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #5
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Quote:
How much are you turning the lever... all the way or partial?
Partial to all the way, still dies, like I make the fuel too rich even the slightest and then it stalls.

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
kkim

do you have the proper amount of freeplay at the linkage end of the choke cable down by the carbs?

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #7
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Quote:
do you have the proper amount of freeplay at the linkage end of the choke cable down by the carbs?
How do I check that? Also the choke worked fine before I did my shimming, would the freeplay need to be changed after adding a shim?

Old September 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #8
kkim

take a look in your owner's manual on how to set the choke cable free play. you had to take a screw off that holds one of the cable brackets to take off the carb tops when you shimmed. perhaps you put it back on a bit off??

Old September 27th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #9
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Quote:
take a look in your owner's manual on how to set the choke cable free play. you had to take a screw off that holds one of the cable brackets to take off the carb tops when you shimmed. perhaps you put it back on a bit off??
I checked the bolting, brackets seem to be where they are supposed to be. Ever heard of the problem before?

Old September 27th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #10
kkim

sorry. no, I have not. If nothing is wrong mechanically, I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with altitude. How high is it where you are located?

Old September 27th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #11
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Quote:
sorry. no, I have not. If nothing is wrong mechanically, I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with altitude. How high is it where you are located?
Boulder, Colorado. 5,430 FT, pretty high. I mean the bike looooves the shims, starts up where I had to use full choke for like even 60F.

Old September 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

Mike

My bike does a very similar thing to what you have explained. I am still learning myself, but let me share what my experience has been in case it helps you in any way. I am a little lower in altitude where I live, but I ride in the 5000' to 10000' range. After I picked a main jet and decided on the number of shims that worked best for me I started working on the pilot setting. That's when I ran into the problem you described. If I tuned the idle or midrange (pilot or shims) to work well then I kept running into a situation where it felt like a had a small lean surge when cruising at freeway speeds when I was turning the throttle just enough to maintain my speed. After trying many different combinations of pilot and shim combinations I feel that it may possibly be a result of the stock needles taper. The pictures I have seen of the stock vs. a dyno jet needle show a longer tapered area on the dyno jet needle. I think the shorter stock taper is causing my bike to experience a temporary lean spot as it transitions from the pilot circuit to the needle circuit. Next spring I will buy some new needles to see if it really will fix my problem, until then, the bike runs great with the pilot being just a little rich.

Now that the mornings are getting a little colder I have noticed that it needs a little choke to get it going. My starting process is to start it with no choke, then pull the choke lever just enough to get the rpm to rise a bit, if I pull the lever too far it dies. Even on 40 degree mornings I only need that small amount of choke lever for maybe 60 seconds and then I let it idle with the choke lever completely off for a few more minutes while I put my gear on.

Hope this helps, enjoy the rest of the wonderful fall riding weather

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #13
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Mike and Clint,

Post #13 details with 2 examples where the different carb circuits play a vital role in the performance of the bike.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10246
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Mike and Clint,

Post #13 details with 2 examples where the different carb circuits play a vital role in the performance of the bike.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10246
Very nice, thanks for finding that The chart I had seen wasn't as detailed and had lumped a few things in each area together. Looks like trying out different diameter needles will need to be put on the to-do list for next spring so I can hopefully get the idle leaned out just a bit without making it too lean in the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle area.

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown

Old September 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #15
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevrfastenuf View Post
Looks like trying out different diameter needles
I think you will be spinning your wheels (wasting time) fooling with the needle taper; however, we all know about opinions. Having said that, experimentation is a good thing, as that's how we learn. Don't let me discourage your needle taper research!

Dynojet and Factory Pro have pretty well already perfected the needle tapers, so that all we need to do is experiment with the jet sizes. As I've mentioned in other threads, Area P used DJ for development with their exhaust system and that's what they sell.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Just let us know the results.

Old September 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #16
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustler753 View Post
How do I check that? Also the choke worked fine before I did my shimming, would the freeplay need to be changed after adding a shim?

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #17
kkim

If you have the mixture screw caps off the carbs, adjusting the mixture screws may yield you both some better results.

I would be reluctant to play with needle tapers as that can get expensive and confusing after awhile unless you really know what you are doing. Make the incorrect needle choice and there is a chance of motor damage.

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you have the mixture screw caps off the carbs, adjusting the mixture screws may yield you both some better results.

I would be reluctant to play with needle tapers as that can get expensive and confusing after awhile unless you really know what you are doing. Make the incorrect needle choice and there is a chance of motor damage.
Not to mention I've found that needle prices are outrageous! I think I'll just pick up a dynojet kit over the winter and be done with it

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #19
NorCal_250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 650R, 08 Ninja 250R, 00 Aprilia SR50 (dead)

I can personally recommend the Factory Pro jet kit...the needle taper on the FP needles is very good.
The kit comes with the needles, bigger pilot gets (40) instead of 38 I think...plus an assortment of mains from 88 to 110s...
Factory doesn't recommend drilling the slides like in the Dynojet kit, but that it only their professional judgement...
NorCal_250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #20
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Should I have my carbs synced? Any amount of choke kills the rpms, I wouldn't have the tools to check the carb adjustment screws, can I bring it to my dealership with out them yelling at me for the shims ( if they would even notice). If it keeps up, I'll just have to pull out the shims when I get a chance, because colder and colder weather is rolling in.

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #21
kkim

you can try syncing, but I don't think that's the problem.... wouldn't hurt, if you have the tools to do so.

The dealership is not supposed to play with the mixture screws, so most likely you wouldn't be able to get any help from them. You can ask, though. If they yell at you, tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine and find another dealer that knows how to deal with their customers w/o yelling at them. Yelling is not an acceptable business practice in my book.

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #22
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

before shims = no problem
after shims = problem

is it to obvious to say that you don't need the shims, your bike is running too rich and when you add some choke it runs to rich and stalls. Sounds to me like the shims are making it far too rich, effectively its like always having the choke pulled.

If you bike needs full choke to start without the shims that's not a bad thing at that altitude, choke is there to be used and turned off when you have it up to temperature. You should not be aiming to get the bike to never need choke under those conditions, as if you are succesful it will just mean its too rich the rest of the time.

I vote to remove the shims that create the problem.
karlosdajackal is offline   Reply With Quote