ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #1
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Magnetic Tank Bag for 250R!

Hey im still looking for a magnetic tank bag for my 250R!

Thou im not sure what Size to get? I measured my gas tank... and i see a ISSUE possibly if i get a tank bag 14"L x 12"W. A bag of this size looks to me as i IMAGINE it on my bike... would be touching the Handle Bars if im doing a full sharp turn, in the form of backing my bike up or anything to move it around while its in 'N'.

So ummm what size tank bags do you guys use, and what issues (size wise) have you came across?
Or what size of a bag, that wouldnt have any issues in the form of it just being too BIG? Is 14"Lx12"W too big?
Is yours 14x12 and you DONT have any size issues?

pleazzzzzzzzzzze give me the 411.

I want a bag as big as i can put on my gas tank (magnetic) for max storage, but Dont want sumin too small?

Heres a LINK to the Ideal bag on ebay i would LIKE to get (but in BLACK)
its 14"L x 12"W x 6"H (9"H) A 2pc. mag-tank bag.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magne...Q5fAccessories
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

dave - you can look through some of my DIYs- I have the super-mini tankbag by cortech - I don't remember the exact size, but it is in the wiki - I have plenty of room left on the tank with it on and could easily have placed a larger bag on there

Old September 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Kawikaze

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE (Sold)

I ordered one from Joe Rocket called the Manta XL

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/t..._tank_bag.html

Still waiting for it to arrive though.

Old September 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The Axio tank bag fits pretty well. I have one.

What you see is the collapsed position. It expands another 1.5-2 inches vertically if you unzip it.

I like this because it's rigid and you can rest your chest on it (very comfy riding position, actually).

It also has a safety strap, which clips around the handlebar. That's useful when you refuel, because you just lift the bag up and flip it forward/to the left, and let the strap support it. In other words, you don't need to find a place to put the bag when you're at the gas pump.

The map pocket on top doesn't look like it'll last all that long (it's vinyl), but no biggie. It's a separate piece, so if it does buy the farm I can just use the bag without it.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #5
mxnello
ninjette.org member

Name: Nello

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R 'Blue'

Joe Rocket

Manta tank bag, works very well but not a suitcase if that is what your after.
mxnello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I've been looking for a tankbag too. I like the cortech super 10 but its kinda expensive. Theres this one...

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/t..._tank_bag.html

Though I'm not sure if it would be too big or not.

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

I use a cortech super mini also. It usually holds my maps, camera,sunglasses,pen, tire gauge,cellphone,extra earplugs, gum and sometimes a small bottle of water.A little tight at times but works. And when the twisties come or the odd deer or cager it doesn't get in the way. Here's a few pics if you can tell the size and fit, also is a cortech tailbags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000685.jpg (106.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg P1000651.jpg (112.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg P1000018.jpg (141.7 KB, 71 views)
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #8
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

I have the Cortech Mini which is a little bigger and more rectangular shape than the super mini. It's quite roomy, and it fit on my 250 without any problems.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #9
ians_04_250
Ninja fan

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2003 buell XB9R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magne...Q5fAccessories I have this tank bag in yellow and I love it. I have an '04 though. The only issue is the backing the bike while fully turned, but it's really not that big of a deal when you think about it.
ians_04_250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

I have the Cortech Mini and it works great for an 08-09.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #11
ScorpionNinja

Hmm thanks for the replies so far guys!

I guess now im thinking about it... i need to Add more notes about on what i need a tank bag for, Size/Cargo needs!

I also have a plain backpack, but i only got it as a cheap quick alt, for carrying extra things with me. Backpacks SUCK for trips... you just have 5 lbs in it... over 100+miles (like my summer camping trip to Caseville proved) causes quite abit of PAIN and discomfort!

#1 size of bag that is BIG enuff to carrry as much as possible for nice long trips, where ill need to bring clothes and stuff to spend the night at a hotel, etc!

#2 size... as above, but a bag SMALL enuff where it WONT make turning NOT a issue! Also... (mostly just while in Neutral in parking lots, backing up,etc, that kinda thing)...

I measured my Scorpion EXO 400/700 Visor & its roughly 9"L x 10"W (flexed in alil if need...) then measures 9-9.5"W x 5"H.

#3 So i need a tank bag at LEAST small enuff to FIT my visor in. (cant afford a EXO-1000 or other top end helmets with BUILT-IN Inner Visor,sunglasses)

#4 I Want afew side pockets (if they dont add terrible size to the bag and give it turning/handlebar issues) for a water bottle,sunglasses (when off bike),cell phone,etc!

Other uses are like carring my lunch to work, or if i stop at a Subway, enuff room to toss in the 5 5 5 dolla FOOT LONG, chips , 20 oz.Pop and still have enuff room for my spare Visor, etc, etc! ( I cant wear sunglasses under my helmet with my CLEAR VISOR ON, too much pressure on my temples ) Sooo i have to use the DARK SMOKE VISOR during the day!

The one i really like on ebay is the Scoyco 2 Pc. mag tank bag. 14"L x 12"W x 9"H (+6" more with top bag also zipped on). It has side pockets and a map pocket. $35.95+ S&H. great price for this tank bag... but as i stated in my OP, the 14"L x 12"W concerns me... id hate to buy it, put it on.. only to find out the FIT just isnt for my 250R's tank.. ya know?

and ummm.... hmmm

Old September 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #12
ScorpionNinja

yea the joe rocket Magna is too small for what i need.

$39.99 is a good price for a small sized bag. looks well made, is a NICE Looking bag,etc.... but @ 13"L x 8.5"W x 4.75"H Its not ideal for me.

The joe rocket hammerhead ones a lil bigger then the Magna, but still... not sure if itll FIT just right without turning/handlebar issues @ 15"L x 12"W!!!

so im still looking... anyone else have their tank bag info? what measurements are yours? I think a 12"L x 10"W would be perfect, but most tank bags are bigger then that... and COST a ton for less material needed to make a smaller product? Cortech mini is like $65-79!
If it was a 2 PC. tank bag, like the Scoyco one, then that would be worth it, but so far....

brb...

Old September 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Okay...

Comments:

- Little extra side pockets/supplemental zip-off bags/etc. are way overrated IMHO. They wind up limiting you. It's really, REALLY not a problem to just reach into the main bag and grab what you need. I base this on a two-week, 2,600 mile trip on my Ninjette, so I'm not blowing smoke... I have real-world experience. See my rant about a zillion pockets in the review of the Bags Connection tail bag.

- The Axio bag is definitely large enough for a visor. And a six-pack of, er, "soda" in bottles if that's your thing. At the same time. You can do realistic small-scale (e.g. 2-3 days worth) grocery shopping with this bag.

During my trip, in this bag I carried:
Visor
Sunscreen
Cell phone
Earplugs (lots)
Maps (like, half a dozen standard road maps, which aren't small)
Owner's manual
Lens wipes (lots)
Pens
Tire gauge
Passport
Owner's manual
Electronics stuff (cell phone charger, ipod w/cable, etc. etc.)
About a dozen AA batteries
Camera
Wallet
Prescription sunglasses in a honkin' huge hard case
Baseball cap
Big fat keyring
Medications
Flashlight
Knife
Multi-tool

All this was with the bag collapsed, and there was plenty of room left over. When I'd get to the hotel at the end of the day I'd just dump the contents, head to the store for food and such and stick it all in the bag.

I never, not once, needed more space. I never, not once, felt the bag was too big and in the way.

IMHO a too-small bag is just frustrating. A bag that carries all you need, every time, is the right size.

- The Axio bag does not interfere with handling, comfort, gauge visibility or anything else in any way whatsoever, EXCEPT....

If you go to full-lock right, you will depress the starter button. I don't see this as a drawback, because once I discovered it I just didn't go to full lock on that side. It has not been a problem for me at all.

I'm not wedded to this bag per se, but it's plenty big enough, looks good, converts to a backpack, has the great (in my eyes) virtue of simplicity and is rigid so I can rest my chest on it during long highway stretches and gain some comfort.

I shouldn't have bought the blue one. It doesn't match well. Should have gone black or carbon.

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Cochese
The Grand Royal

Name: Cochese

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Icon Urban...

Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #15
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

I think if you're looking for room for clothing etc., you're really looking for luggage. In that case, I'd look at tail bags and/or saddle bags. I have the Cortech tail bag which I think is very nice, and is large enough to hold a few changes of cloths.

I use my tank bag for short trips, just to carry the things which I do not want to carry in my pocket. My Cortech Mini bag is big enough to carry an extra visor (which I do) with plenty room to spare. It's bigger than the super mini, but I don't really think that extra space comes from height (could be wrong as I never compared them side by side). There are bigger tank bags as we have seen in this very thread, but unless I was planning on doing some serious touring (like adouglas has), I would stick with the smaller bags. Also, since I have a zx6r now, anything bigger than the mini would be in the way I think. You have a little more room on the 250r.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #16
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Check out nelson rigg products...They have a lifetime "no hassle" guarantee, so if anything ever happens to it, they will replace it....dont know if u seen my thread with the cortech tailbag, how it got all chewed up in between my rear tire and swingarm, if it was a nelson rigg, they would have replaced it for me...
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #17
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Icon Urban...

I have that same icon pursuit jacket...
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #18
littlemike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08 Green 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Icon Urban...

I second the Icon Urban bag, I used it all the time. At this time of the year it gets pretty chilly in the morning and the temperature is warm in the afternoon. On my way home, it has enought room to put in my insulated liner from my jacket, and pants, my laptop 14" screen, my reflective vest, insulated gloves, and a couple of 10oz water bottle.
littlemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #19
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Andrew, The Axio tank bag and their tail bag are on my wish list. Do you know if they make saddle bags?
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Don't know.

I have the Axio backpack and it's way, way cool. I use it when I need to carry my computer someplace.

Old September 20th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I have the Bell tank back that Wal-Mart used to carry. It fits PERFECTLY when placed backwards and doesn't even need the strap. I can't even believe how much stuff I've fit into this little bag. It's not too little, not too big... nowhere near as small as that "Manta," longer than KELPHYN/Calvin's Cortech super mini, and smaller than all the others shown in this thread.

Despite being longer than the Cortech super mini, it fits much farther forward when you put it in backwards leaving you a lot of room on the back of the tank. The smaller zippered outer pouch fits almost against the ignition and the bars anc turn around it without interference. I'll dig up some pics when I can, but it looks ratty after all the abuse I've put it though. Cross country move, carrying it on every ride, bringing it in to work every day, etc. It's been my trusty man-purse for the last year and a half!

I've carried it with gallons of milk or multiple two liters drink bottles, and crammed every remaining inch with the heaviest stuff, even strapping additional stuff to the top (pizza boxes, cereal boxes, etc) and it has always held up with the magnets alone. I used it for many months before I realized that you could collapse it by removing the plastic sidewall and Velcro-ing the top D-rings to the bottom velcro straps. Mine was on clearance and they lost the UPC/booklet and rain cover (didn't realize it was supposed to have one). It probably would've been cheaper if it still had a UPC to scan/mark down. It was $5 off of $30.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM   #22
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...-p-145_31.html

I have the Trio, for light days, I use the smaller top bag, for longer days, or my general work commute which includes towel, change of clothes, lunch cooler, 1.5L bottle of water, shampoo (not trial/travel size) wallet, AXE body spray, hair brush, blackberry, reading book for when I don't have anything new loaded into the blackberry, plus what ever other sundries I might need.

I have put the two bags together, fully packed, but the height makes it impossible for ME at 5'7" to see the gauges. I also have the full tail luggage, but my saddlebags are too deep to clear the 250 Exhaust, and worse for the Ducati. When the time comes to need to run saddlebags on the 250 I will get the smaller sport bags. I have had this set for 6 years now and some serious mileage. I use the tailbag for travel all the time since it fits "Carry On" dimensions perfectly.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM   #23
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

This is the one I have and it fits great. "Rapid Transit"

Old March 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #24
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I have to ditto the Rapid Transit bag...I just picked mine up today. It fits the ninja 250r like a glove, and the camelbak pocket with tube clips is just icing on the cake.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #25
ScorpionNinja

Buy this and put in on, b4...

Hey, after using my Mag tank bag many times last year, this week i noticed my Gas tanks clearcoat is kinda scuffed up in spots! Despite the soft underlining of my tank bag, it still WILL rub and wear on your clearcoat/paint!

so im gonna buy some of this in bulk and install it on soon!

http://www.toplineusa.net/products/3m.html

Old April 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Hey, after using my Mag tank bag many times last year, this week i noticed my Gas tanks clearcoat is kinda scuffed up in spots! Despite the soft underlining of my tank bag, it still WILL rub and wear on your clearcoat/paint!

so im gonna buy some of this in bulk and install it on soon!

http://www.toplineusa.net/products/3m.html
Yeah, that's a given, but it's totally fixable and totally worth the convenience.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #27
ScorpionNinja

Lightbulb 8-9-2010 update!

Below are some pics of what i can stuff into my tank bag i bought last year!

2 gallons of milk, 1 box of ceral (15 oz.)

Its the 2pc. Scocyo, i got off ebay for $35+S&H. Bout $45!

Sized about 15"L x 13"W x
3"(lower section expanded)+6" or 10"(fully expanded top section)= 9-13" total Height!!!

Riding with it stuffed full during a 3 hour trip last year, wasnt a problem while riding. Its a tad oversized if your moving the bike around while parking in neutral, hitting the handle bars. Other than that, i really like it.

Ive even only used the lower 3 - 3 1/2" section for carrying 2 subway footlongs + bag of chips and a 20 oz. bottle of pop, back to work with me!

I still havent applied the 3M scotchgaurd paint protection film, on my gas tank.
Im just gonna hold off on the sheet i order afew months ago, as its been sitting in my closet.
I just wanna save it for a better future use, ie - i trade my 250R in for an "overstocked" Low priced New 2009 650R, to then apply the film on the 650R fresh paint-gas tank.
My clearcoat is rubbed pretty good from using my tank bag last year, so putting on the 3M film isnt worth it to me atm.

So searching around, i found this alternative, to prevent any future damage to my gas tanks paint/clearcoat!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...k-bag/padding/

Im gonna go up to my local Lowe's tomorrow after work and buy some. I can post up pics of the bag with the padding under it, on the gas tank!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1434.jpg (90.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1435.jpg (88.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1436.jpg (83.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1438.jpg (146.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1439.jpg (128.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1437.jpg (52.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1440.jpg (99.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1441.jpg (96.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1442.jpg (104.0 KB, 9 views)

Old August 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #28
sofadesigner
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jp

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I just ordered the alpinestars tank bag. Hope it will fit and won't be too big.
sofadesigner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:17 AM   #29
Charb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Charb

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The Axio tank bag fits pretty well. I have one.

What you see is the collapsed position. It expands another 1.5-2 inches vertically if you unzip it.

I like this because it's rigid and you can rest your chest on it (very comfy riding position, actually).

It also has a safety strap, which clips around the handlebar. That's useful when you refuel, because you just lift the bag up and flip it forward/to the left, and let the strap support it. In other words, you don't need to find a place to put the bag when you're at the gas pump.

The map pocket on top doesn't look like it'll last all that long (it's vinyl), but no biggie. It's a separate piece, so if it does buy the farm I can just use the bag without it.
That is a nice setup! what do you use on the tail? and what size cargo net is ideal for a 250?
Charb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:29 AM   #30
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
that is SW motech/Bags connection If I'm seeing right. good stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150506_114328.jpg (162.2 KB, 10 views)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote