ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

DIY: 250R Hazard Lights!

Link to original page on YouTube.

I just got done installing some hazard lights on my bike and thought I'd share how to do it. This method works on bikes with either the tridon ep34 relay that I sell with my LED flushmounts or with the stock relay & lights. I don't know about other relays so you'll need to experiment on your own.

Things you'll need:

• On/Off switch- You can find them on Ebay or online for ~$18
  • 2 N4001 Diodes. I bought a pack of two from radio shack for $1.40
  • Either 18 or 20 gauge wiring- About 4' total or as long as necessary
  • 3 Wire taps- make sure they're sized for 18 - 20 gauge
  • Either: Soldering Iron, solder, heatshrink/electrical tape and/or butt splices/ quick disconnects and electrical tape

The handle bar switch should be for a 7/8" bar. You can also use a regular waterproof switch from an electronics store, although mounting it will be up to you.

I mounted the controls on the left bar next to the clutch lever.

You'll need to extend the wires of the switch. For the switch I used, the orange wire was the power wire. You will attach the power wire to the Orange power wire of the relay harness. The other wire on the switch was green. What happens is when you turn it on, the switch completes a circuit and the green wire is able to send power to the lights. Route the wires like stock.

You should have the left rear fairing and seats off. You'll need to fish out some wires. First wire will be the flasher relay. Easy to get to and pull out a bit. There are two wires. One that is solid orange and orange w/ green stripe. You will tap the power wire from the switch to the solid orange wire.

(forgive the black residue on the solid orange wire. I had electrical tape on there)

I extended the switch's orange wire with a blue wire. Tap into the solid orange wire of the relay with a wire tap.

Next fish out the two harnesses connecting to the rear blinkers. One will be green and one will be gray. In this picture, you'll see that I tapped into a black wire. That's because it's my alarm's splice. The green wire below leads to one of the blinkers. The other end that's not in the picture is the gray wire. This harness runs along the side of the rear fairing. For the power heading to the lights, you will need to extend the other wire coming off the switch. From this extension, you will need to split it into a Y; each branch will connect to either the green or gray wires. You will need to solder in the two diodes on the Y so that the silver mark on the diode is closer to the bike side and not the switch side. See my diagram below. Use heat shrink or electrical tape to wrap the diodes up and tap the two wires on the bike.

Here's the green wire you'll want to tap into:

Once you've tapped into both wires, just put your fairings back together and that's it!

Pics of my wiring:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0307.jpg (104.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0308.jpg (121.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0301.jpg (58.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0302.jpg (65.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0303.jpg (73.3 KB, 13 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 250R Hazard Lights! - ninjette.org.pdf (2.44 MB, 63 views)

Last futzed with by CThunder-blue; July 5th, 2011 at 10:01 PM.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

great diy!

p.s. your bike looks so damn good with those projectors! I want some

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

That is pretty dang cool
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:25 PM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I forgot to mention that the other wire coming off the switch is the wire you use to tap into both gray and green blinker wires.

Here's a wire diagram:

The basic circuit is that the orange wire from the relay is constantly at +12v while the key is in the On position in the ignition. When you close the circuit, in this case switching the switch to "On," it closes the circuit and sends voltage to lights. In the stock switch, it depends on whichever circuit you're closing to activate the blinkers. In this situation, we're closing the circuit and providing power to both sets of lights.

I should also mention that even though it does work with the stock relay, it didn't sound very good. It sounded like the relay was struggling. If you want to upgrade the relay, purchase the ep34 and put a ground wire on the E pin. This may very well work on the pregen models as well, but someone would have to verify with a factory manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (66.9 KB, 23 views)

Last futzed with by CThunder-blue; July 5th, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/linked from main DIY thread.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Sorry, I had to update the thread. I found that the blinkers would automatically trigger the hazard lights. I installed 2 diodes on the wires and this fixed the problem . The first post has been updated as well as the diagram pic.

Old October 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #7
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Nicely done!

Now perhaps a really dumb question: When would you use hazard lights on a MC? I know more expensive bikes often come with them, and I have actually seen them used one (rain), but wasn't sure the exact intent.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I've used 'em in the pouring rain, and if I'm temporarily parked off the side of the road, but it's pretty rare.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old October 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #9
headshrink

Makes sense, thanks.

Is it legal to have them on, say on the freeway in the rain, while moving at the speed of traffic?

Old October 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

if it's legal. Seemed like the right idea at the time.

Old October 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #11
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

They would also be very useful if you get stuck riding through clouds or very dense fog.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #12
GeeTeeLuardo
ninjette.org member

Name: Galahad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010

hi guys!
I'm new here. just want to ask. because i successfully installed a hazard switch. What I have bought is the handle bar switch only. No diodes, no electrical tapes or whatsoever. no other expenses just that switch.
What I did was, simply tap them into the connectors that is located under the gas tank. and it's clean. you can remove the quick connectors from the socket easily and tap wires then put it back in.
What I want to ask is, Since the Blink is a bit fast than normal when I turn it on. Is that the purpose of the diodes?
GeeTeeLuardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I just found another model Kawasaki that had them, and switched the left control pod out.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Emergency_Flashers_2

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #14
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I did the same on my 500. The part came from a similar-era 750 I believe.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #15
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I did the same on my 500. The part came from a similar-era 750 I believe.

My 500 has one stock (CBR, not Ninja). It's nice to have, but I've never used it, and don't really know what would be an appropriate use on a MC, because we're so small we can squeeze almost anywhere to get out of the way.

Old October 20th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #16
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
My 500 has one stock (CBR, not Ninja). It's nice to have, but I've never used it, and don't really know what would be an appropriate use on a MC, because we're so small we can squeeze almost anywhere to get out of the way.
The earlier EX500 had it too, but it was removed for the latest revision. My first round of this mod used the early EX500 part, which didn't match the right control. The pictured one matches perfectly.

A lot of people feel the same way. I've never actually needed to use it, but I like knowing it's there in case I do. The biggest thing I can think of is stopping during a storm to put on rain gear or something. Having 4-ways on while you're stopped should make you much more visible. Someone else mentioned using them when acting as a sweeper at the end of big group rides.

I got the imperfect one for ~$25 and the pristine matching one for ~$50, so it's relatively cheap peace of mind for me. Others may or may not think it's worth it.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #17
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
It's a piece of mind to have it, I've used mine a few time, and on group rides as well.

It adds additional visibility, which is always a good thing.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2018, 05:14 PM   #18
LenardSimp
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bakari

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250R, 2012 EX250R-J

I just did this.
Thanks, BlueThunder, for the idea and the wiring diagram.

I just wanted to share how I did it, slightly differently which I didn't see mentioned:
All the components fit easily inside the existing turn signal / horn / choke housing, and there is space on the outside for the switch, eliminating the need for a separate external switch.

I got a small, waterproof, lighted toggle switch from the auto parts store for about $3 (and I had a few diodes left over from doing the mod to the turn signal indicator that stops current leaking through when you use LEDs instead of the stock bulbs - set of 5 from ebay for $3, free shipping).

Inside, tap into the orange wire to one end of the switch, both diodes to the other end, of which one taps the green wire, the other the grey wire.

In order to make the switch itself flash, I would have tapped the black/yellow that is the horn ground, except I previously reversed the horn circuit (to get my headlight modulator to interface with the horn properly), so I had to run a new wire down through the wiring harness cover to find a different ground, but I could have skipped this and the hazards would still work.

I like how its very clean and simple, no separate switch housing on the handlebar, everything stock. Not to mention, my version flashes when its on. Most important, though, the whole project was less than 5 bucks

In answer to the questions about why anyone would want them:
Within a couple months of buying a new bike (a 2001 ninjette), the spring holding up the center stand spontaneously broke, so the stand was dragging on the ground. This happened over a long bridge, with heavy traffic, and it would catch every time I went over a metal expansion joint.
Another time, about a week after a minor crash, I had a handlebar spontaneously break off. Again, by crazy coincidence, on a bridge, this time in fairly dense fog.
I've forgotten that I was on reverse tank and ran out of gas on the highway once, and had bad fuel in the carb that made it stall on the freeway another time.
Every time, I've really wished I could put on hazards, instead of just a turn signal, to let the drivers behind me know something was wrong and I was about to slow down.

Around here (where lane splitting is legal) a lot of people turn on 4 ways whenever they are traffic surfing, to increase general visibility. I'll probably start doing that too, now that I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180712_132658921_HDR.jpg (118.6 KB, 6 views)
LenardSimp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2018, 10:07 AM   #19
martinizing
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r Special Edition 25th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post

Link to original page on YouTube.

I just got done installing some hazard lights on my bike and thought I'd share how to do it. This method works on bikes with either the tridon ep34 relay that I sell with my LED flushmounts or with the stock relay & lights. I don't know about other relays so you'll need to experiment on your own.

Things you'll need:

• On/Off switch- You can find them on Ebay or online for ~$18
  • 2 N4001 Diodes. I bought a pack of two from radio shack for $1.40
  • Either 18 or 20 gauge wiring- About 4' total or as long as necessary
  • 3 Wire taps- make sure they're sized for 18 - 20 gauge
  • Either: Soldering Iron, solder, heatshrink/electrical tape and/or butt splices/ quick disconnects and electrical tape

The handle bar switch should be for a 7/8" bar. You can also use a regular waterproof switch from an electronics store, although mounting it will be up to you.

I mounted the controls on the left bar next to the clutch lever.

You'll need to extend the wires of the switch. For the switch I used, the orange wire was the power wire. You will attach the power wire to the Orange power wire of the relay harness. The other wire on the switch was green. What happens is when you turn it on, the switch completes a circuit and the green wire is able to send power to the lights. Route the wires like stock.

You should have the left rear fairing and seats off. You'll need to fish out some wires. First wire will be the flasher relay. Easy to get to and pull out a bit. There are two wires. One that is solid orange and orange w/ green stripe. You will tap the power wire from the switch to the solid orange wire.

(forgive the black residue on the solid orange wire. I had electrical tape on there)

I extended the switch's orange wire with a blue wire. Tap into the solid orange wire of the relay with a wire tap.

Next fish out the two harnesses connecting to the rear blinkers. One will be green and one will be gray. In this picture, you'll see that I tapped into a black wire. That's because it's my alarm's splice. The green wire below leads to one of the blinkers. The other end that's not in the picture is the gray wire. This harness runs along the side of the rear fairing. For the power heading to the lights, you will need to extend the other wire coming off the switch. From this extension, you will need to split it into a Y; each branch will connect to either the green or gray wires. You will need to solder in the two diodes on the Y so that the silver mark on the diode is closer to the bike side and not the switch side. See my diagram below. Use heat shrink or electrical tape to wrap the diodes up and tap the two wires on the bike.

Here's the green wire you'll want to tap into:

Once you've tapped into both wires, just put your fairings back together and that's it!

Pics of my wiring:

Hello Sir

I have all 4 blinkers in led , sorry I have 2 more in my mirrors as well. I have a OEM left switch from another kawasaki bike wich has a OEM hazard buttom but when I press its make a strange noise and they all blink but get sticky no flashing and has very very diffused light . How can I fix it ?
martinizing is offline   Reply With Quote