ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #1
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Adding an Super Coolant

so i want to add a super coolant to my bike, i talked to a bike mechanic and he said it would work fine and wouldnt damage anything, here is the coolant

my question is how much of the current coolant do i need to drain, it is at the full line now, has any one here done this? does it help with the over heating on 100+ days in traffic? also, when draining some of the coolant should i just unplug the hose at the bottom? or should i un bolt the container and poor some out?

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Have you read the directions? It's used in most racing applications where you completely drain all your current coolant out, fill up with distilled water, and a capful or two of Water Wetter and close. Just remember to flush at least yearly. Water absorbs heat better and cooling capacity is increased with the addition of water wetter which will increase the boiling point of water.

Change coolant: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100361

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #3
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

That's one of the questions I forgot to ask, if it works so well with water how would it work with coolant?
and thanks for the link, but i have a pre gen 03
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
dont put it in coolant. read the directions. you put waterwetter in water. it is made for race tracks that dont allow glycol based coolant (antifreeze) because its slippery and hard to clean up if someone wrecks. if you are riding on the street, especially if it gets cold, just use regular antifreeze.
if you are going to put new coolant in, theres no sense leaving the old stuff in. drain it completely then fill it with your new coolant, then ***BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM*** or else you will overheat your bike and your coolant will be useless.

also note that you only use (i think) one cap full per liter of water. the 250 only takes like a liter and a half of coolant.

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
.... does it help with the over heating on 100+ days in traffic?
To be honest, nothing will help all that much on 100 degree + days in traffic except a fan you can control manually or moving air.
I did try some Liquid Kool Super Coolant Optimizer last year. You can mix it with all anti freeze/coolant. Didn't make too much of a difference in the bike, but it worked a little better in the car.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if the bike is from 2002, and it has old coolant. putting in fresh coolant (waterwetter/water, or glycol antifreeze) would do wonders for the heat transfer and would keep it running cooler. if the engine temp itself isn't bad, but its burning your ass. maybe go old school and heat-wrap the headers and pipe, or get some extra heat sheilding on the underside of the seat/tank/fairings

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

You can use water wetter with coolant safely, it is just more effective with distilled water alone.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

How well does this product lubricate the water pump and prevent corrosion as compared to standard glycol based anti-freeze?

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
How well does this product lubricate the water pump and prevent corrosion as compared to standard glycol based anti-freeze?
their marketing says its designed to work well. i've had no issues with it and have never heard of anyone having anything but good things to say about it... well kevin thinks it smells too good. something about it being a hazard or something.

Old July 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #10
n4mwd

I'm not trying to be negative, but I'm really cautious when putting things into the bike's engine that weren't recommended by Kawasaki.

What you guys have said about its requirement at the track makes it sound like its not as slippery as glycol antifreeze and hence may not be as good for the water pump.

Old July 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
they add silicates to help the water pump. not sure what kind of life-time difference there is between glycols and silicates for the water pump. if you search the intertubes you find people in cars complaining about it not lubricating the water pump enough but reading into them looks like user error (tap water or spring water instead of distilled water most common problem). cant find a single thing about someone complaining about it in a bike.

heres from their website:
Quote:
Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature
here is the material datasheet http://www.redlineoil.com.au/Uploads...uro%207_01.pdf

some people who sound like they might know what they are talking about say its a sur****ulent (soap) with anticorrosion and lubricating additives (silicates?)

Old July 16th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Why don't use this? http://www.motul.com/th/en/products/140?f[application]=147&f[range]=21
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #13
n4mwd

Looks like the same stuff with a different name.

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #14
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
so i want to add a super coolant to my bike, i talked to a bike mechanic and he said it would work fine and wouldnt damage anything, here is the coolant

my question is how much of the current coolant do i need to drain, it is at the full line now, has any one here done this? does it help with the over heating on 100+ days in traffic? also, when draining some of the coolant should i just unplug the hose at the bottom? or should i un bolt the container and poor some out?
Wait.... If the bike is "over-heating" on any temperature day then it's likely due to lack of maintenance or mechanical failure. Are you indeed having an overheat issue?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #15
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I've been running water wetter in preparation for my first track day (which is still, sadly, not in the foreseeable future ) for about 9 months or so (used exclusively for street riding) and I have nothing bad to report. I just installed my koso gauge and only now started monitoring my water temperature...all is well and water wetter works awesomely. Just completely flush your system with distilled water prior to putting in the water wetter.

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #16
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Thanks guys, as always the forum has pulled through with great knowledge and good oppinions. I ended up cutting my fluid with the watter wetter since I didn't feel like flushing the system, ill let you know if it helps the next 100+ day we have down here.
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #17
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I've been running water wetter in preparation for my first track day (which is still, sadly, not in the foreseeable future ) for about 9 months or so (used exclusively for street riding) and I have nothing bad to report. I just installed my koso gauge and only now started monitoring my water temperature...all is well and water wetter works awesomely. Just completely flush your system with distilled water prior to putting in the water wetter.
Just curious. How do you know it works if you just started monitoring?

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Thanks guys, as always the forum has pulled through with great knowledge and good oppinions. I ended up cutting my fluid with the watter wetter since I didn't feel like flushing the system, ill let you know if it helps the next 100+ day we have down here.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think anyone in the thread thought it was a good idea to add the water wetter to your existing old coolant.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #19
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Just curious. How do you know it works if you just started monitoring?
lol...you kinda caught me on that one lol...Maximum "OH SH!T" temp. for our bikes is about 230F and I was out riding in the hot, sticky humid weather (~90F) for most of the day yesterday and the highest displayed temp. on the gauge was about 160ish (a bit above half bar)...I think that's good, don't you? and that's probably at a stop light, flying down the highway, riding the twisities, it was at half bar (I have the gauge set to display water temp in bars and oil temp in actual nos.) Anyway, granted I was quick to make an assessment, I'll monitor some more before I run my mouth. Lesson learned.

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #20
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
lol...you kinda caught me on that one lol...Maximum "OH SH!T" temp. for our bikes is about 230F and I was out riding in the hot, sticky humid weather (~90F) for most of the day yesterday and the highest displayed temp. on the gauge was about 160ish (a bit above half bar)...I think that's good, don't you? and that's probably at a stop light, flying down the highway, riding the twisities, it was at half bar (I have the gauge set to display water temp in bars and oil temp in actual nos.) Anyway, granted I was quick to make an assessment, I'll monitor some more before I run my mouth. Lesson learned.
That's cool man. Just for reference, my bike here in FL with the 96 degree days and the heat index over a 100 degree's usually runs around 160-165 degree's while running down I-95 at 80 mph. If I stop and sit at a traffic light then I have seen it go over 200. Goes right back down once I start moving again.

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #21
n4mwd

I downloaded the technical info here:

According to the instructions, it wont hurt anything to add it to a 50/50 antifreeze solution, however, the resulting net cooling properties are no better than plain water if you do.

Quote:
Cooling System Fluid ... Stabilized Temperature
50% Glycol/ 50% Water ... 228°F
50/50 with WaterWetter® ... 220°F
Water ... 220°F
Water with WaterWetter® ... 202°F
So according to their research, the best cooling effect is waterwetter mixed with plain water.

Also, it says:

Quote:
The anti-scaling ingredients in Red Line WaterWetter® allow its use with ordinary tap water.
But then goes on to say that its better with distilled water.

I've never used this product myself, but based on this information and what others are saying, I think its best to flush the system and mix it with distilled water only.

One caveat, unlike regular antifreeze, this stuff is flammable until its mixed with water.

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yeah... i still dont think tap water or drinking water is a good idea. ive done it in a pinch before but i dumped it once i got home.

Old August 5th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #23
jasle
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

OK...water wetter is a simple concept. it is a surfactant. It reduces the surface tension of the coolant. This gives better water dwell time in the radiator and inside the engine components. Actually similar to soap.

it is ALWAYS better to use distilled water inside your engine. tap water has crap minerals in it.

You can add water wetter to coolant or water, old or new. Some things to think of. Water has a lower boiling point that ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol does not cool as well as water.
if you mix water wetter with water according to the instructions...then mix 60% water to 40% ethylene glycol coolant you get the optimum in best cooling while still retaining the boil over protection. I've used water wetter doing temp checks with an IR gun directly after my riders got off the track. Scientific method style. We ran morini 50cc race bikes that did not have a water pump, but were water cooled. They used convection to cycle the coolant. funny setup that worked but was always on the edge of overheating.

Water Wetter is not only used in the race scene it is widely used in the high performance and towing diesel scene. it works, its not magic unlike all those reported magic potions that utilize Deionized Water and Polypropylene glycol. those magic potions will kill your WP impeller and remove metal from the water passages.