ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R

got passed on the left....in the left lane....

title pretty much sums it up...i was cruising along in the left lane...when some dude in a harley comes up behind me...he is hanging back...and i look at him in my left side mirror...as soon as he saw me look he intched closer and kinda forced me over...passed me on the left side and waved as he went by....i couldnt get over cause of traffic next to me...but damn if i would have had to do something or make a correction or him for that matter, we would have both went down...not cool
Rawr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Some people are rather impatient. Glad nobody got hurt.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

i tought harley riders are patient...
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Never heard of anything like that happening around here ... sheesh!
Impatient HD rider ... some of those guys are nuts!
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Talk about being rude! All bikers are supposed to be curtious to eachother no matter what type of bike you ride.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #6
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

At least he waved?

I find that Harley rider's have a completely different mentality when it comes to riding. He may or may not have had any malicious intent. Still sucks tho...i'm definitely glad nobody was hurt.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #7
kkim

why are you in the left lane? you should be in one of the others if someone wants to go faster than you when in the left lane.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

It's been done to me multiple times, not just by "Harley guys." I wouldn't get your feelings hurt over it.

Old May 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #9
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

When I did my birthday ride I saw bikes coming up on me and I pulled to the right and waved them by. We were on a two lane road and we shared a lane. Isn't that normal? They waved.

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
why are you in the left lane? you should be in one of the others if someone wants to go faster than you when in the left lane.
You're on a 250. Don't ride in the left lane (unless you are passing). If you can't move over it is probably because you aren't passing just cruising along with the guy in the right lane. Kelly would have passed you and slapped you on the back.

I would have passed you too. The other rider waited until he saw you noticed him in your mirror. Two bikes with fit in the same lane. What he did might have been wrong if you weren't able to handle it (inexperience). You should remember this everytime you are hanging in the left lane (which is for passing). There will always be someone faster than you.

If you want to ride the left lane join AARP.

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #11
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Hell, I had a guy in a freakin' pickup do that to me. Rush hour traffic on I95 and he was on my tailgating me in the left lane. As I looked right to see how I could get out of his way the guy passed in my lane on the left. I pretty much had to split lanes to avoid him and the cars to my right. Could not believe it.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I was on a road that had one lane going each direction. I was cruising along going a little above the posted limit. I then noticed an SUV behind me, but didn't move over since I was coming up on some railroad tracks. After the tracks I checked the mirrors again, expecting to see the guy behind me and needing to move over to let him pass. I quickly found out why I didn't see him, he was passing me on the right, down the shoulder.

I was ticked off at the guy. It wasn't like I was doing 5 or 10 under the limit, quite the opposite. Passing on the right is just so dangerous, especially when they are passing a bike in windy conditions. I kept cruising at my speed, I caught up with him at the next light, and just stared him down. Some people are so impatient. He just needed to wait another 5 seconds, or at least pass me on the left. Oh yeah, he couldn't because it was a no passing zone!

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #13
Realirony
That New Kid

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja250R

ooo. I love staring people down at lights, parking lots, intersections, etc through my "rawr, im a scary biker" helmet. muwahahahaha, anonymity is awesome =D

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Smile

I was on a one lane (each way) back road over the weekend. Lots of potholes and frost heaves from the winter and no good place to pull over at that point. I am doing 45 in a 40 and see a jeep wrangler with a bunch of kids in my rear view. I speed up to 50/55 to give me some gap and they speed up. A minute or so later they pass me going up a hill in a no passing zone. Then a few seconds later I hear a quick siren wail and get passed by an unmarked state police dodge charger, about a mile later he pulls them over. One of the few times I have smiled when having the police in my rear view with the lights going!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #15
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

HAHAHAHA that is awesome!

Had a good experience a while back. I was in my car taking my wife to the airport. This one truck was taking a slow left turn on to the service road of the highway. I sailed wide in the turn, took the lane next to him, and got around him. He apparently didn't like that because once he saw me passing him, he got on the gas. Sorry guy, your truck won't out accelerate my Mustang GT.

Once I got on the highway, I moved over to my desired lane and cruised at around 5mph over the limit. Next thing I know the truck FLIES by me doing a good 20 over, at least. I ignored him and let him drive. Later on (about 5 miles down the road) I see police lights flashing up in the distance, then notice the cop pulling into a parking lot just past one of the exits. GUESS WHO GOT PULLED OVER??? Yup, the same truck.

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #16
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

HD Riders think the only bikes that exist are HDs. If you aren't on an HD they don't even know you exist.
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #17
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Asshats all. My best experience was last year when a bunch of Gixxers came up behind me at a very high rate of speed in a 30mph zone. They were going so fast they didn't notice the Police cruiser sitting off the road in the tall grass like I had. The second they caught up to me I took the first side street I could to get away from them. After about a half mile I U-turned and came back out to the main road and there they all were getting their speeding tickets. I waved.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #18
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

i agree with only being in the left lane for passing on the highway...but in the city on surface streets im allowed to hang there...specially if im going to be turning soon and im travelling faster than general traffic...there is nothing wrong with riding in the left lane if im going faster than the flow of traffic which i was...i feel it is safer to do that than to weave from left to right around every car i pass

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #19
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

as far as people getting passed goes...ive noticed that people will often speed up when they see you passing them...its like a superiority complex...me and a friend were cruisng in his geo metro, we are in the left lane passing an enzo going the speed limit (even though my friend has a geo he has a lead foot)...as soon as we are along side the enzo, dude looks over and hauls ass ahead of us...we got over again...behind him...he starts slowing back down to the speed limit...and we get over to pass him again...and he does the same thing....guess he got all butt hurt over his pretty little overpriced itialian engineering mobile being passed by a geo

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
as far as people getting passed goes...ive noticed that people will often speed up when they see you passing them...its like a superiority complex...me and a friend were cruisng in his geo metro, we are in the left lane passing an enzo going the speed limit (even though my friend has a geo he has a lead foot)...as soon as we are along side the enzo, dude looks over and hauls ass ahead of us...we got over again...behind him...he starts slowing back down to the speed limit...and we get over to pass him again...and he does the same thing....guess he got all butt hurt over his pretty little overpriced itialian engineering mobile being passed by a geo
One word sums up that guy...

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #21
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
i agree with only being in the left lane for passing on the highway...but in the city on surface streets im allowed to hang there...specially if im going to be turning soon and im travelling faster than general traffic...there is nothing wrong with riding in the left lane if im going faster than the flow of traffic which i was...i feel it is safer to do that than to weave from left to right around every car i pass
Wow, from your original description we were all under the impression that this had happened on the highway, not in the city. That maneuver definitely gets more points on the aggression scale for being done on a city street. Unexpected and surprising. Not to excuse him, but at least he waited for eye contact, instead of just blowing past.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #22
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

ah yea...haha i guess i didnt mention it was in the city

Old May 7th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #23
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Sounds like it wasn't his car.

Boy would I like to have one of those "pretty little overpriced itialian engineering mobiles". I show those geo's who was the boss. Enzo rules ( for all who know him).

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #24
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I once was in California on a rented Shadow 600, and was in a long merge lane coming onto Hwy 101 somewhere north of Santa Monica. I was doing slightly more than the posted limit (say 60 in a 55) as the merge lane slowly drew close to the rightmost highway lane.

I saw a bike coming up behind me very fast, say 90 or 95 mph. I was going to dodge to the right so he could pass on the left, but before I could even react he whipped over and passed me on the right-side.

The guy a bearded 1%-er type was on a heavily chopped Harley. It kind of surprised me as I would have expected something like that from a kid on a sportbike.

Old May 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #25
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

All sounds like Penis Envy to me. Am a retired psychotherapist turned bicycle mechanic.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #26
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Several times on Pelissippi Parkway (PellaDega as we affectionately call it) I've been split by bikers going over 100mph. It's a common thing there. One ride home I was in the left lane and a buddy was in the right lane. I was passing him. Lo and behold a sportbike splits us doing at least 140. We were both speeding so I know he was absolutely booking it. 2 others cruised through before I double checked my rearviews and moved over. Nothing like the sound of an inline 4 tached out at 140+.

If they want to kill themselves, go ahead. I prefer not to partake.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #27
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Name: Nani

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I was going 10-15 above psl on the left lane of I-85 and had a red Camaro real close behind me. It was making me nervous. This highway is about 5 lanes wide, but everything else had trucks and minivans so I was kinda stuck with jerkface behind me.

Don't know how... but I noticed three lanes to the right a silver Dodge Charger and made eye contact with the driver, whose window was down. I didn't see the laptop they usu. have in the passenger side, but slowed down to about 7 over juuuust in case. The Camaro driver got mad at me, recklessly switched 2 lanes over to the right and easily did 25 over (90mph) and seconds later...

Blue lights and the siren!! The Charger was an unmarked State Trooper!!

I don't know if one can get in trouble for this, but I honked the horn and waved at the driver...

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #28
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

I love waving at the asshats that get pulled over after doing stupid ****. I had a mini-van pass us, four or five cars, and a semi on a two-lane highway all at once while speeding in a double-fine zone where the minimum fine is $1,500 for reckless-driving. About two miles up the road I waved as I went by him with a black and white parked behind.

Old May 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #29
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

There have been times where I've been tempted to stop and tell an officer that I'd be willing to testify against the driving behavior of a driver they have pulled over... I wonder how an officer would react to that?
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #30
Rawr
Blue Blue Blue

hmm im not sure...i dont like approaching cops i never know how they will react...since they are always on gaurd

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #31
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Check your state laws, if your allowed to ride side by side, then be prepared to be passed side by side regardless of the lane your in.

Quote:
Your on a 250 you shouldn't be in the left lane
Don't assume the original poster was on the freeway. I ride 6 lane roads in the middle of town (3 each way) and often am in the left lane because it has a raised median down the left so I only have to worry about intersections and traffic coming from the right.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote